It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
(female)

volleyball2 HB Uservolleyball2 HB User
Cool Trying to come of methadone after 8 yrs. Help!

Hi All: I guess I am really anewbie, beem here a long time but don't get to the heart of the matter.
I am a 63 year old female and I have been on methadone since 2005.
I got in the program because after 20 + years I had to straighten out. Believe it or not up until a few years before that I wasn't in bad shape (at least I didn't think I was. My family had had it and I was at the bottom. Every day I woke up wondering if I had enought pain pills of any type. If not I was scurrying around with with my stomach in knots. I needed them.
Then a kind friend gave me some oxy's and that was the endfor me. I threw all my pain pills down the toilet but kept some valium for seizures and lied on my bed for two weeks. A friend of mine slept on the floor in my room he was so worried.
Somewhere in my fog I guess I knew I would need some help and called a help line. They in turn advised me based on what I told them that methadone would be the way. I made an appointment ,got excepted (surprise!) and I was lucky. Great doctor, rehab everything. I really never looked back. The program worked and I worked. I got my life back, my family and here I am.

But lately I seem to be out of it a lot and I have the feeling it might be the meth. Anyway I want to try going off of it. I do have a lot of serious back problems. I truly don't know how bad the pain might be because I never dealt with it,
What do you think do I have a chance? I really don't want to die taking this crap. Anyway if any can give me some advice please let me know. I is very lonely when no one understands.
Bye for now
volleyball2 (Diana)

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: volleyball2
bolter (06-15-2012), Phoenix (06-17-2012), Tysmom1 (06-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Trying to come of methadone after 8 yrs. Help!

Hi Diana, welcome to the Boards, we understand, of that I can assure you. And you will find friends and people who care here.

Of course you have a chance, anyone can get off this stuff if they want to. Methadone is not one of the easy ones, I will be completely honest with you about that. Methadone has a wickedly high half life and metabolism rate and unlike most narcotic or opiods it varies from person to person based on weight, percentage of body fat, metabolism, history of drug abuse, etc. Methadones mean half life is around 30 hours, but it can be as high as 130 hours, depending on the individual. This makes the withdrawal process very difficult because you have the drug in your system for a very long time after you stop taking it. This increases the psychological withdrawals as well as the physical withdrawals.

The safest way to detox off of Methadone is a slow taper. This way you give your body time to adjust to being without the med. Normally when you do a taper by the time you get to a very low dose the withdrawal symptoms are pretty low, because your body is used to not having hardly any of the med in it's system. With methadone it doesn't always work that way, due to the long half life of the drug. Your Dr. can help you set up a taper schedule to wean down off of the drug. Then there are many OTC products that you can get for when you stop the drug completely to help you through the remaining withdrawal symptoms, things that will keep you safe, healthy and lessen things like diarrhea, nausea, insomnia, aches and pains, etc.

If you don't want your Dr.'s help you can still do a taper. You take your dosage and set up a taper schedule based on what your using and how long it will safely take you to get off the med. There are stickies at the top of this Board with information on tapering.

Now to address your back pain. Detoxing off of pain meds is painful, your body will have aches in places you didn't know could ache. Your back pain will probably be magnified, so you need to be aware of that fact. You'll probably need to come up with a plan to treat your underlying back pain, so you don't relapse once your off the methadone and you have to deal with the back pain. If you have plans in place ahead of time, it makes it much easier to deal with.

This is all I can think of for now. let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to answer what I can.

Hang in there,

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
bolter (06-17-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

Hi VB2, Katlin is right about the time-factor of coming off Methadone. There's a bad side and a "good" side to it. The bad side is it does take time (it took me 2 years to get off of 80mg. a day) but it can be done, even if it's a few mg.'s every week or two. I guess the good side is I found it easier than coming off other pain meds because it provides no "high" that can make those awful cravings (trying to give you a little positive). Whatever you do, don't let no one talk you into cold-turkey on this one. It is one opiate that can be fatal in WD's. Good-Luck, JB

Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
(female)

jane doe 0610 HB User

im in the same situation with methadone ive been on it for 7 years 120 mg and i want off i think if u go down 5 mg it wont be so bad but get a doctor to assist with ur back issues

The following user gives a hug of support to jane doe 0610:
bolter (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
(female)

Hi Kat
Thank you for getting back to me I appreciate it. You have certainly given me some things to seriously think about. I have gone over the pain problem so many times and all anyone can say is what is your back up. my MRI's are really bad like a book but I know the pain wasn't to bad when I went on the meth. I am going down on the meth until the pain sets in even though my next few paragraphs would make you wonder why. I am such a mess.
All these years on meth and it would seem like I didn't deal with the addiction problems at all. There are still many times when I just want to block it out. I am still taking meds a lot of the time for other people I think. It is so confusing. I wouldn't have wanted to miss the love and feeling I get for my children and certainly my grandchildren.
The real reason, I guess, I want to even think about going off of it is that I have been having some feelings where I get really tired and sort of nod off. If I let it go It can happen a couple of times a day and others nothing.
This is hard, this is where the drug addict comes in. My daughter took me to a shower a few weeks ago. I don't go out much and was nervous and scared. I got a headache and asked if someone had a tylenol. No of course I had seen some in the the cupboard when we were doing dishes and went to get them turns out it was somethong else I was looking at and a few people came I got nervous and through them back "in my purse". I didn't want them
I was frightened. My daughter found them a few days later in my purse just after I had passed and assumed it was the pill.
I don't know where to go with this now.
Have to rescue my grandchild
Bye

Last edited by volleyball2; 06-17-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Old 06-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
(male)

bolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB User

Hi Volleyball, I do understand quite a bit about the feelings you,ve been having. Of course not being in your shoes I couldnt understand all your feelings. I get feelings of uncertainty, lonelyness, not at ease, doubtfull and stuff like that. I have these feelings thruout the day sometimes. I,m trying to stay straight. I,m not talking about wanting to use again, I do have those thoughts but what I noticed since I cleaned up is sort of a lack of confidence for better lack of a word. You know, like uneasy feeling or something. How I feel won,t help you but maybe knowing your not alone in this whole mess may. I would NEVER tell anyone about my feelings in person because thats just the way I am. I know that its wrong. I will say them on here. 1 thing is people on here have similar problems another is it,s not face2face. Allways kept everything all bottled up until I lost it. I,m very glad I found this site, just recently bought this laptop and never had much need at home or work for one so this stuff is fairly new to me. I can,t tell you what a tremendous help its been to read and also write into this website. I don,t even know how I found it. I think if you keep writing what your feeling it may help somewhat. It works for me. Hope you feel better both phys. and emotionally real soon.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
(female)

Hi Bolter: Thanks for your reply it gave me a bit of a boost tonight. Not to be alone or feel like some of the things I've done are so bad.
I think a lot of the uneasiness you feel is there because your not used to being straight with nothing to take to take the edge off bad feelings or good feelings. When I used drugs, I didn't feel, that was the point to not feel. It is hard to get used to handling the world straight.
I also found this site about a year or so and it is good to be able to talk. Even if I try to talk to my daughter or someone. They just don't understand addiction. They don't understand the desperate feeling and all the other things.
A long time ago, really long - the 70's I had a sister 4 yrs younger than I am. I was completely straight back then didn't know anything. From the time she was 12 until 19 she was on a lot of drugs, really bad.
I remember telling her to just stop, if she loved us. Ihad know Idea and neither did the rest of the family. We thought she was having fun, but she looked so bad.Not to bum you out but she did die. There was no help around then.
Now I am the addict. It is so ironic other members of the family have had problems too.At least there are places like this to talk.

I hope I didn't talk to much. Please take care of yourself (everyone) and keepbon doing your best.
Volleyball 2 (Diana)

Last edited by volleyball2; 06-17-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: I was cutting myself off by mistake

Closed Thread

Tags
loney and scared, methadone, withdrawal