It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
(female)

rumorwild HB Userrumorwild HB User
Need advice on pain patch please!

I started to a new pm. On medicaide and they changed some stuff around so I had no choice. I've been on lortab 10/500 x 5 daily for years. Well the new doc takes me off of them and puts me on fentenyl patch 25mg. So far I've only used one and today is when I'm supposed to change it. (every 72 hrs.)
I hate it! I know how these patches can get a hold of you and I know how bad the lortabs would be getting of of them too. I just want to get off the pain meds...period. I do not like this new doctor at all. He's a smart a$$ and I just don't want to go back to him. Can someone tell me what to do? I don't want to get on suboxone or anything like that. I'll just stop cold turkey and go through withdrawls if I have too. Will it be safe? I'm just so confused right now. I'd rather just have the pain than deal with the doctors and their meds any longer. Any help would be so appreciated.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
(female)

powergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB User
Re: Need advice on pain patch please!

If narcotics are the only drug you are taking, then it is safe to go off them cold turkey - not fun but ironically narcotics are the safest drugs to detox off of.....

Your dosage is extremely low so it will easy for you to taper - slowly off the medication.

That being said - the best way to go off of narcotics is a slow taper - for example - if you are taking 10 mg lortab every 5 hours - start out with 10mg every 8-10 hours and see how you feel - reduce once a week or once every three to four days - feel out your body and how you are feeling.

At some point cut the lortab in half and start taking 5mg - and do this as needed until you can taper down to nothing....

It is very easy to taper - be patient and don't try to do it too fast -

You may have to see this new doctor a few more times to get the medications to assist you in tapering off the narcotics....it is up to you whether you ask for the doctor's help in a slow taper or if you do it on your own - either way you will need a drug that you can cut in half and reduce from 10mg to 5mg etc...

If you can only get the patch - see if you can cut it into thirds - start with 2/3 patch and see how you feel - then after your body gets used to this - get the patch in half and stay at this level until your body feels okay - and keep tapeing this way....

Going cold turkey is difficult because of restless legs and anxiety and the runs etc....but if that is the only way you can do it - look up the Thomas Recipe on the internet. it lists the vitamins and stuff you should have on hand to help you through -

The first five days of going cold turkey will be difficult - be prepared and if possible take off of work for the week calling in with the flu because it will be like the bad flu.

Keep in mind that you went on this drug for a reason - is it realistic for you to go off it and still have the quality of life you currently have? Can you work and play and function without pain meds? Be honest with yourself about why you take pain meds each day every 5 hours....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

K from WI

The Following User Says Thank You to powergrub For This Useful Post:
bolter (07-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
(female)

Thank you Power, for your reply. I'm sorry I just now saw your post. I didn't think anyone was going to respond to my question so I haven't been on the board in awhile. Since I posted this last question, I have had to up the patches to 50mg and now I just feel trapped almost. I hate the patches but my doctor won't even talk about anything else. Tomorrow I'm going to try to find a new doctor.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
(female)

Rumor,

the longer acting narcotics typically do not give you that "rush" of relief - you should notice that the pain is at a lower level while on the long acting narcotics....

I think it is some type of guideline in pain mgmt that anyone in pain on a daily basis that requires narcotics for relief should be on the slow release or exteneded release drugs....typically they would not prescribe what you have been taking for the past 5 years...

It really depends on what type of pain you have and why you are taking it - and how you take it - did you take it everyday- or 50mg per day? Or did you take it as needed?

I know what you mean about getting trapped - once you start narcotics for pain mgmt - or even illegally - they become a part of you - and you have to rely on someone other than yourself to supply you with them - which means you are very vulnerable....

Do not be surprised if the new pain mgmt doc wants to push the long acting stuff on you also - and unless you have addiction tendencies you will not become addicted to the drugs - you will be - as you currently are - dependant on the drug - your body is dependant on the drug - big difference between dependency and addiction....

Let me know how the new doct visit goes - the best thing to do is be honest - and tell this doc what has worked for you in the past and what you are concerned about - if the doc steers you to the drugs you do not want to take.....

Everything eventually works out the way it is supposed to anyway.

K

rumorwild (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
(female)

Hi K,
This has been the most awful morning. I just don't know what to do....I want to get off the drugs but I have this pain I'm also dealing with. I take besides the 50 mg patch, lyrica 150mg x 2 daily and fiorinal for headaches. Do you think I could detox by myself off of the patches? I took the lortab 10 for years before starting the patch 19 days ago. I can't seem to get anyone to help me. I'm on medicaid too, so my options are limited there. Please tell me what you think....

Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #6
(female)

Rumor,

I know you can detox yourself off the patches. And since you have only been on them for 19 days or so now is the time to do it.

Start by cutting off one third of the patch - keep it for later use and if you feel you need it later....you can always put it on.

I think you could handle cutting it in half - saving the other half and see how it goes.

Make sure you google the Thomas Recipe - most that stuff you can get from the health food store and it will be expensive but worth it to have if it helps.

My biggest concern with you is your pain. If you need narcotics on a daily basis are you ready and able to live in that kind of pain without the narcotics?

If you have a library you can access, it really helps to learn how to meditate - I know it sounds silly but after 20 years of severe chronic pain from a spinal deformity I developed when I was 12 - I have tried it all and as hard as it was to learn meditation and prayer helps me the most....

So back to detoxing - be prepared to feel like you have a bad flu although if you slowly taper down you should be ok - you will be mentally low - so the tyrosine and B6 in the Thomas recipe helps with the blahs - start slow with all the Thomas Recipe items - see how you react and then increase the vitamins etc.

Before youn commit to detoxing - be sure this is the right path for you - you have to know you can live and function without narcotics - I doubt you would have been given them for 5 years without a good reason.

Also, if you don't like the patch maybe you could ask for a different type of long acting medication - if you don't like the way you feel or whatever the reason is - it doesn't matter what program you are on, medicare, medicaid - there are ways to get medications even if you have to go through the company that makes the medication - you can usually get a deal on the meds but you have to research it.....

If you have chronic pain that requires these types of meds what are you going to do when you are sick from detoxing and in more pain than when you started? You may not get sick during a slow taper but you certainly will be in a lot more pain.

What do you mean no one will listen to you? What questions are you asking the doctors? If you tell your doctor you want to get off the meds and do a slow detox, they should help you - most pain mgmt docs would allow you to try at least.

However, if you are not presenting the information in a way that makes sense to these doctors - if you are having to increase your pain meds in your case the patch and then you are saying you want to get off the meds...it has to be confusing to them.

These pain docs have seen it all - and they know if you have chronic pain at a certain level that you will be on narcotics the rest of your life - lots of money in it for them.

Let me know if I can help with anything. I am in the same boat. I hate the drugs and how I feel "caught" - captive and that my doctor controls my life in many ways - and no one else should have that kind of control over you life - but I know that the narcotics have saved my life - I can still walk most days, i can exercise, work etc....it is very difficult but the drugs get me through - not mentally or emotionally but physically.

Keep me posted - It can't hurt to try a detox slowly and see what happens - you can always put the patch(es) back on -

If it turns out the patches are not helping, keep telling your doctor they aren't working or that they are not staying on because you sweat too much or that the side effects are too much etc...and they will eventually prescribe something else.....

Not sure if any of this helped....but it is 4AM and I am wired so I rambled.

I am praying for you.

rumorwild (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
(female)

Powergrub, thank you for your help and kindness. I've decided to go into a rehab and detox off of all the pain meds and kind of see where I'm at. Yes I have some pretty good pain in my neck but I'm going to get my pc to prescribe some 800mg ibprofen to take with me. Since I've never abused my meds and I really just want to get off of them, I'm hoping it won't be too bad. It's a 7 day detox then a 28 day drug treatment that's my option if I feel like I need it after the detox. I will be going in towards the end of the month but I will sure let you know how things are going.
You have been so sweet to give me so much good advice.
((((((hugs)))))))

Last edited by moderator2; 07-10-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
(female)

Rumor,

Try to let the post(s) that upset you go - it is not worth any time, not even a second of angst about it.

I am walking in your footsteps and/or vica verse and I understand completely what you are going through.

It is difficult for a person who isn't in our shoes to understand all that is involved and if you don't have all the information - we all can say and print things that are not on target.

Let it go honey. I am pulling for you and I believe in you - I know you can do whatever you decide is right for you.

K in Wisconsin

Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
(female)

Rumor,

How do you go about getting into a detox center? I have never abused drugs and have been on them for a lot longer than you and I take a whole lot more than you do on a daily basis.

Do I just look up a detox place in my area and call them and see what happens? Does everyone detox in 7 days or is that specifically what they are doing for your specific case?

My next question is - if you decide to detox and then realize you are in too much pain and need to go back on the narcotics - will you be able to do that? Will pain management take you back as a patient?

I never went through an in-house detox so I was just wondering what the rules are.....

I will be with you in my prayers and in spirit. let me know the dates you will be in house and for sure post how it went.

do not be frightened....you will do great. Just keep thinking how all of this crap associated with maintenance narcotic therapy will be a thing of the past - or at least you will know where you stand - if you can live without them.

And no matter what happens - it will be a success. They will teach you alternative ways to deal with pain (I am guessing?) - and I applaud your decision.

go for it baby!

K

Last edited by moderator2; 07-10-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
(female)

Hey Power,
Just call a mental health place in your city and they can give you numbers to call for a detox facility close to you. I had to go through several numbers to find one. I think 7 days is pretty standard. I can leave anytime I want but I just can't come back. I plan on staying through the whole thing. The drug treatment for 28 days is to help you afterwards when your dealing with life without drugs. Not sure if I'll need that one or not till I go through the detox.
Honestly, I think my pain will be controllable with the 800 ibuprofen and Celebrex and whatever I get for my headaches. At least I hope..... I mainly just want to get all the narcotics out of my system so I can see where I'm at with my pain level. I'm just so tired of taking all the pills.
I will for sure let you know when I go in and how it went!
Thank you for your encouragement!

Reply Reply