It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

mar13ka HB User
Question meth

been taking methadone for pain (130 ml daily) at clinic for 3 years.also taking 30 ml oxycontin 3 to 4 times a day. want to get off methadone but will continue oxy's for pain.my dr. says I might have to increase oxy intake but thats ok.just want off the meth. any info as to how long and how difficult this will be is appreciated.
thanks
Mar13ka

The following user gives a hug of support to mar13ka:
Phoenix (07-31-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: meth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar13ka View Post
been taking methadone for pain (130 ml daily) at clinic for 3 years.also taking 30 ml oxycontin 3 to 4 times a day. want to get off methadone but will continue oxy's for pain.my dr. says I might have to increase oxy intake but thats ok.just want off the meth. any info as to how long and how difficult this will be is appreciated.
thanks
Mar13ka
HelloMar13ka

I suppose the only way to know if you're better is by eliminating medications one-by-one.

I truly hope this works for you.

I just hope the reduction will not add additional stress
to your body,as one cannot gauge how much progress has been mad without going your route(by the way,I commend your efforts thus far).

Please feel free to post as often as you'd like.
You're a member of this board and here we tend to look out for each other.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
(male)

GaNeal HB UserGaNeal HB User

MY dr told me if I wanted off methadone to go down 5 mg's a month...so yeah it will take a long time,when the time comes for me to get off it,but I hear at that rate it is virtually pasinless...whereas a faster dteox or cold turkey is hell on earth..I have heard horror stories of cold turkey withdrawel lasting 6 months...so just take it slow is my advice and every time you step down in mg's that is a step closer to getting off...the fact you are still on Oxy will help too...I dont' know how much you would have to increase your intake of that though...good luck!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

Hi Mar13ka!
I did something somewhat similar early last year. I was on 15mg morphine 3xs a day plus up to 4 oxycodones 15mg tabs) a day.
I wanted off the morphine. It was time, and I had healed from an injury enough that I didn't need both drugs.
So my doc tapered me very slowly. He upped my oxycodone to 6 a day for any pain I may still get, but being on an opiod kept my body from getting sick from going off the morphine. Plus I followed my taper exactly as my doctor said. It actually was pretty easy, considering that I was prepared to get very sick.
I know methadone is a different drug, but I have to believe that if you go slow, listen to your body and contact your doc if you run into any issues so they can help you, you should be fine. Just know it's OK to talk to your doctor if u need help during this process.
I felt nearly nothing when I tapered and went off the morphine. I hope the same goes for you!
Oh FYI I think it took me about 4 months to cone off the morphine. Again, different drug, but maybe it'll give you an idea. It was worth all the time!
Please post and let us all know how you are doing.
Best of luck!!
Wendy

The following user gives a hug of support to Wendy88:
Phoenix (07-31-2012)
Closed Thread