It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

Arianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB User
Back Again

Hi all, Been awhile since I posted anything. I went to a doctor and he detoxed me from the Oxy and 10mg of Valium that I had been taking for 13 yrs. It has been 15 days, and I am in the thick of withdrawal. I am going to an addiction doctor who has me on Phenobarbitol for some of the symptoms, but it barely works.

I have to know I will turn the corner soon. The doctor says about 4 weeks. I am feeling so bad and scared and have no one to really talk to that understands. I know from reading that some of you have gone cold turkey before, or have detoxed like I have that might have something positive to say. Or maybe a word of encouragement? I just want to know this will end. Please someone... respond. And I would prefer positive responses, I am all negative right now.

Thanks

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Arianna2
bolter (07-12-2012), Phoenix (07-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
(female)

Arianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB User
Re: Back Again

Another thing... I detoxed off of Valium before, doing it the slow slow slow way and relapsed back into taking it again. This doctor told me my symptoms would not be so bad using Phenobarbitol, or I wouldnt have done it. I am too far out to go backwards Please anyone?

The following user gives a hug of support to Arianna2:
Phoenix (07-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
(female)

powergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB User

Ariana2,

What you have accomplished already is huge! The fact that you have been clean for 15 days - is wow. I have been there.

I know everyone finds different things helpful - I found the Thomas Recipe helpful - especially for the emotional and mental feelings associated with your body and brain chemistry being all messed up.

You can google the Thomas recipe and start taking some of the supplements to help give you energy and lift you out of the haze of depression etc....

Also, talking to someone that has gone through it - do you feel comfortable going to narcotics anonymous (NA) meetings or just calling and seeing if someone can meet with you. It helps so, so, so much.

Exercise helped me - it was so hard but I started by telling myself - I will walk on my elliptical for 1 minute and if I get through that I will try 2 minutes etc....before long I was walking for 10 minutes and then 20 then 30 etc.....exercise helped so much -even a short walk or stretching -

I got into prayer - reading the Bible and listening to tapes - taught myself how to meditate - went the library and got a bunch of CDs to follow along and developed a meditation discipline that I currently do daily and of all the things that came out of detoxing - learning to meditate has helped me the most.

The biggest thing for you is not to dwell on how bad you are feeling and to know that it is your body resetting itself - this too shall pass and you can decided each day, each moment to feel good about yourself or to give into the depression and illness.....everytime you choose to feel good - you break the chain of reacting to your feelings - you take control of your mind.....

You can do this! Heck you are doing this.

Also, I do not know what you were taking the meds for - to be successful long term in a detox you need to have a plan of ways to cope other than with the meds.....If you don't have a plan - seek out persons like NA people or your general practictioner or whomever you can find to help you figure out how to live without the meds.....

Let me know how you are doing.....I am so proud of your accomplishment!

Powergrub

The Following User Says Thank You to powergrub For This Useful Post:
bolter (07-17-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
(female)

Ended up in the ER this morning and my BP was off the charts and so was I. I had no contol of anything and was scared to tears.

Most of this might be my own fault. I was detoxed off the Oxy using Suboxone which I didnt want to take and only took it a couple of times. In the ER they told me that could have been the reason for the trauma. Even though I hear all the horror stories about Suboxone, I am going to give it a try again.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Arianna2
bolter (07-17-2012), Wendy88 (08-11-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianna2 View Post
Ended up in the ER this morning and my BP was off the charts and so was I. I had no contol of anything and was scared to tears.

Most of this might be my own fault. I was detoxed off the Oxy using Suboxone which I didnt want to take and only took it a couple of times. In the ER they told me that could have been the reason for the trauma. Even though I hear all the horror stories about Suboxone, I am going to give it a try again.
Pamela

I had no idea...just please follow their instructions.

You're going to get through this.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Administrator; 07-16-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

Hi Arianna!
I hope you are doing a little better. You did the right thing by going to the hospital. When detoxing, you have to pay attention to your body and if something really doesn't feel right, it's best to go and make sure you are ok.
You've been doing great! I know the road has been bumpy, but you have come really far and are taking good, responsible steps. It took strength to not medicate instead of staying sober and going to the ER for help.
When you are up to it, let us know how it's going.
I've never taken sub, but I believe if it will help you during this time, then it may be right for you. It may not be right for everyone, but that doesn't mean you can't have your own success story by using it as directed.
Good vibes to you!
Wendy

The Following User Says Thank You to Wendy88 For This Useful Post:
Arianna2 (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
(female)

Dear Wendy, Your post is just a tad late because everything has changed once again. I did get back on the sub, but once again it made me sick and I stopped it. The doctor who put me on it, knew this. Then the phenobarbitol caused wicked side effects and my doctor weaned me off of 180mgs of that evil stuff in a week. That is when all Hell broke loose and my body and brain lost it.

I have always had paradoxical effects to drugs and so this was really no surprise. My husband took me to the doctor who is taking the place of my original doctor who died on April 6th, and he reinstated the valium (at a higher level) because of the risk of siezures etc. He said that the body can only take so much, so cold turkey from Oxy, and cold turkey from Valium and then an ill advised 1 week taper from the Pheno just did me in.

It has now been 49 days since this began. I am nowhere near normal. I had never taken Valium or any other drug during the day, so most days I am in a fog. I dont sleep and even though my doc says that once my receptors have settled down I will begin to recover, my fear of it all wont let me believe him.

This new doctor says he will work with me on a plan to decrease the valium SLOWLY, once I am ready. He also agreed that he will do it as slow as my body and mind can handle. I will have to hold on to that for now.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Arianna2
blon55 (08-21-2012), bolter (08-12-2012), Wendy88 (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

Hey!
Yes I didnt notice the date in the post and that so much could have changed!
Well, one step at a time. I believe even the Valium fog will eventually go away.
You will be ok. Your body just has to stabilize a bit and recover, but it does and it will.
I know it's scary, but try to follow the doctors orders in order to give yourself time to adjust etc. That way if you have problems, he knows exactly what's going on.
Every day, every step is a step forward. Don't give up. You've come really far! so keep on going!
Sending good vibes of strength and relaxation to you during this.

Wendy

The Following User Says Thank You to Wendy88 For This Useful Post:
Arianna2 (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
(female)

I seem to be turning a corner. I feel as though I am returning to my normal life of being the same ol hyper vigilant self. Except this time I am taking more Valium than I was than before. Because my PTSD is connected to my addiction to V, how on earth can I make the choice to try to get off of it.....again? Right now my fear of tapering is stronger than my desire to try. It has been a sobering thought. I've tried, I've failed.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

miss345 HB User

Look at it this way....You tried and made a mistake...Now tell your mind that the next time will be better...That you now know what you must watch out for...That you want to quit and nothing is going to stop you...Get rid of that negative attitude...This alone can foil your attempt in your recovery...Take one day at a time...If it helps mark each hour off...Write to yourself and tell yourself how proud that you are at what you are doing...Make it positive rather than negative...

Each day of an addiction is tough...I know I had one too...It is called eating..Can be as dangerous as drugs...I have lost 59 pounds in four years and look real good...But, I fight it every day of my life...I will never say I won or I could lose...This is the way you must think when fighting a battle...

Good luck and I hope that you find the courage to go forward...Life is not easy...I send you all my love...Take care....ILD...

Closed Thread