It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

smarty44 HB User
alcoholism

Hi, i've been drinking for the last 15 years started off with a couple of beers a night then moved on to 1/2 bottle of scotch or vodka (still every night) i managed to change to a bottle of wine and ditched the scotch but still have been drinking everyday but this has crept up to two bottles (the first of which is drunk in less than an hour). I have a stressful job and its ridiculous how happy i feel with that first glass in my hand when i get through the door (it's the first thing i do) however i have been ill for sometime and have been told to cut back on the alcohol, I have done many stupid things when ive been drunk but i never remember anything last episode ended up in A&E, i have decided enough is enough but im worried about withdrawals and sick of doing damage limitation the day after, i've hurt my family and my friends i guess im just sick and tired of being sick and tired not to mention the expense of drinking just to flush it all away...
any advice on withdrawals would be great

Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
(female)

rsch HB User
Re: alcoholism

Hello! Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. Would you be willing to talk to your doctor about it?

The Following User Says Thank You to rsch For This Useful Post:
smarty44 (07-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

Smarty44...I am in the same boat with you. I want too quit but scared of the WD symtoms. I have been cutting back (tapering) and have been doing well with that. I think if you quit cold turkey you will send your body into shock. That is why I am slowly tapering. Here for support smarty44~

The following user gives a hug of support to mommaoftwinsplus1:
smarty44 (07-22-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
(male)

Warlocklord HB User

As the above comments noted, you might want to try tapering. If you have a GP you trust, try telling them about your problem as well as the amount your drinking. The doctor could help you create a plan to taper you down (going cold turkey could be deadly). I quit drinking 4 years ago and like you I was a blackout drunk. I was scared of the withdrawals and scared of life without alcohol. When I told my GP what I was going through, she helped me get through my addiction.

One last thing. Do you have anyone you can talk to about what you are going through and would they be able to help you after you quit? The reason I ask, is that once I gave up alcohol I had a void in my life. Because of this I started using other drugs and ended up in a 4+ year bender. This might not happen, but it is best to be safe and proactive.

I hope you are well and stay strong,

War.

The following user gives a hug of support to Warlocklord:
smarty44 (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
(female)

smarty44 HB User

Thankyou all for your support, I did go to the doctors about 3 years ago they sent me for a counselling session but it did very little for me like most of us i guess people see me as (i hate the term) *functioning* alcoholic and even to this day alot of people dont even know, looking back i dont know how ive hidden it for so long but now i know that it's making me sick i have no choice but to quit Ive only done 3 days off this week and felt like crap but was having really vivid nightmares that would wake me so I bought a bottle just so i could sleep, the worst time for me is always on the third day I havent had shakes or anything I just havent seemed to *be there* and the dreams as i said are horrible, also have been so tired like I could sleep anywhere. if I could just get past that 3rd day maybe i will be ok so back to it today and if i dont sleep i dont sleep it only has to get better and I know where your all coming from it helps that others understand what a fight this is good luck to you all and we can do this

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: smarty44
mommaoftwinsplus1 (07-22-2012), Phoenix (07-22-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to smarty44 For This Useful Post:
Pacifier (08-26-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #6
(female)

rsch HB User

Could you taper? Most people can't and there is no shame in that. The doctor didn't offer you valium or xanax or anything like that? That can help with the withdrawal. Another option is a medically supervised (in patient) detox.

I personally did a little taper and then used Rational Recovery methods to keep me sober. Almost 2 years. Sober life is wonderful and you'll be delighted when you 'get it'. It took me a very long time. Such a waste in the meantime. But I got there and so will you.

Maybe you're more of an AA guy. Whatever works!!

Last edited by mod85; 07-22-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty44 View Post
Thankyou all for your support, I did go to the doctors about 3 years ago they sent me for a counselling session but it did very little for me like most of us i guess people see me as (i hate the term) *functioning* alcoholic and even to this day alot of people dont even know, looking back i dont know how ive hidden it for so long but now i know that it's making me sick
Hello smarty44,
My father is still alive and my mother is deceased.
She was a functioning alcoholic but the one thing about alcoholism is the progressiveness of its' nature.Both were functioning alcoholics.

My brother died indirectly because of alcohol.

This is all that i'm prepared to say at this point because it pains to even admit this much.

One never gets the better of alcoholism if drinking is continued;it's a rigged game in which the odds are never in your favor.

Respectfully
Phoenix

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Pacifier (08-26-2012)
Closed Thread