It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
(male)

stanleyatl HB Userstanleyatl HB User
Going Cold Turkey again!

I just want to start out by saying anybody that thinks they are immune from getting addicted to pain pills you are wrong. That is how it started with me. So arrogant, my wife at the time (she has since passed away) had a herniated disc in her back, because of that she was going to a pain management clinic which was way over prescribing her medication. They were giving her 30 MG Oxy 3 a day and 15 MG Roxy 2 a day for break thru pain. Well this left a lot medication over every month and since I was working hard job I deserved to come home every now and then and feel good! Well that soon went to every day and then to twice a day and the trap had sprung! I was hooked! That was 6 years ago and I want bore you with all the details, but I will say it will cause you to do things you never thought you would do lie, cheat and steal. It makes me sick to think about it.

Now that is how I intially got hooked and I went cold turkey twice and it was hell, but it did not kill me. I have since relapsed several times because now I really do have chronic pain. That really hard job I was doing caused me to have knee surgery in 2008 and Rotator cuff surgery in 2010. Each time I was given more pain medicine. My current Dr. has me on 5 percocet a day. Which by the way is not enough I usually run out and hit the street before end of week 2. So anyway that is where I am at and I am done. I am 5 days in cold turkey! Since I have done this several times I know what to expect. So I prepared I made sure I had 4 days where I had nothing to do. I turned my old cell phone off and got a new number (so i would be tempted to call all my good friends LOL who all sell meds) but the most important thing was I spilled it all to my wife. she was mad at first but then she really started to get behind me. I made sure my first two days were days she would be home because I knew I could get in the car and have my stuff in less than an hour. The first three days were bad no sleep, eyes running, nose running, stomach ache, headache, sweats, freezing and the Big D, but it did not kill me. I prayed a lot, I cried, I kicked myself all the things your brain comes up with when your tring to quit.

I went back to work today it almost killed me because my shoulder was killing me but you know what when I was on the pills it hurt then too. It really did not hurt anymore I just noticed it more because the pills were not fogging my brain. The only thing that really worries me and I have not figured out how to tackle it is I have already been told that I have completely worn out the socket in my shoulder and I need a shoulder replacement very soon like within 6 months. I know I will probably have to be on some medication and that scares the heck out me.

Anyway that is my story and it helps to get it all out. Right now only my wife and my brother know about my addiction. I think that is where I went wrong the other times I went out I never told anybody, nobody not a sole knew! Thanks for the ear any advice will be greatly appreciated!

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: stanleyatl
bolter (07-26-2012), Kailea (08-04-2012), NeckIssueGuy (07-31-2012), Phoenix (07-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Going Cold Turkey again!

Hello stanlyatl

I definitely hear you.
Have you ever thought of Narcotic's Anonymous or any of the other support groups out there?
You need to be able to place things into the proper perspective....
That's what we're here for.
Once you get it out of your system(speaking on it)the next step is putting energy to words and facing things for what they are.
I don't know if you're familiar with the song: To Be Real but you have to face that person in the mirror and be up front with him.
As addicts,the thing to do is try and convince others of things.
In recovery,it's time to convince yourself and believe it;that there is more to life than drugs.....
That you deserve better and also do the people in your life by your actions.
I know you can do it;it's time for you to believe it too.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
(male)

nesara311 HB User

I stopped smoking pot and also tobacco,I know,nothing like wd symptoms.But with good insurance a rapid detox while not awake is what I am leaning towards if my back continues to improve.I have had to back surgeries,last one a temp fix.I know I can quit and will,once I am sure my back pain in tolerable.I have never taking a opiate that was not prescribed....good luck and wow

The Following User Says Thank You to nesara311 For This Useful Post:
stanleyatl (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
(male)

Smile Re: Going Cold Turkey again!

Thanks Phoenix for the good advice and I think I will try to find a local NA group. I am sure I have always failed in the past because I never let anybody know and never talked to anybody about my addictive nature. I am in day 6 and really feeling pretty good! a little shaky and just a slight headache. What is really amazing is that a week ago after the work day I had yesterday I would have woken up this morning and my shoulder would have been hurting bad. I woke up this morning with a little stiffness but very little pain. The pills really convince you they are the only way! One thing that I have found in the past is it is very important to get back in mainstream and exercise a lot. It really helps me to work up a real sweat whether it is at work or at the gym. I really don't feel like doing it but I make myself! Also important to give yourself tasks to do and finish them it keeps my mind busy.

Anyway Thank You and God Bless!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
(male)

bolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB User

Welcome, I gotta agree with Phoenix about the NA meetings. Even if you just go and listen. You don,t have to agree with everything. Take what you need and leave the rest. I,ll bet ya someone will tell there story and you,ll think to yourself " thats just like me " It really helps to know your not alone. I agree with you on the excercise thing, even if it,s just a walk around block. Keep posting and good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to bolter For This Useful Post:
stanleyatl (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolter View Post
Welcome, I gotta agree with Phoenix about the NA meetings. Even if you just go and listen. You don,t have to agree with everything. Take what you need and leave the rest. I,ll bet ya someone will tell there story and you,ll think to yourself " thats just like me " It really helps to know your not alone. I agree with you on the excercise thing, even if it,s just a walk around block. Keep posting and good luck.
I will definitely keep posting I think this site is great for those who struggling. I had read on here before but never joined but I am determined to make it this time. The exercise thing I learned in my first experience going cold turkey I read online that the pills reduced the number endorphins in the brain so I new from school that exercise actually stemulates the brain to create endorphins. That is where they get the term "runners High" they actually get a endorphin boost.

Anyway Thanks Again!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
(male)

Man today day 6 has been bad! I think the worst days for me when I am tring go cold turkey is the days when I am home alone all day! I started out the day sitting on the throne for about an hour. Then after my wife went to work I threw a pity party and just curled up in a ball for a couple hours. I wish I was one of those people that can ween off this stuff but it just is not how I am wired. My brain only has two speeds stop and go. I have tried to ween down at least 20 times. Last week at this time I would be 10 perks into my day off and not caring about anything.

I moped around until after lunch and then I decided I had enough and I threw on a pair shorts and got my old shoes. I cut my entire yard over an acre usually takes me two days I cut half one day and the other half the next because you know how bad my shoulder is an all. I then got the weed eater out and manicured the puppy. I dont know if you noticed I live down south and it 97 degrees today. I have never sweated so bad in my life, but once I got done and got shower I do feel some better!

Anybody that has any advice on how to deal with these mental issues let me know. I'm tough I can take the pain but the head games are the worst.

Thanks stanleyatl

Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
(male)

Day 7 and still hanging in there! I took your advice and tried to find a NA chapter close by and I di find two but both meet on nights when I work. So I talked to my wife and I think we are going to try to get back in church and see If I can find some group there. I used to go all the time but when I got on the meds I lost interest i am sure you can relate. That is one thing these drugs do is cause you to withdraw my wife has already commented on how nice it to have her husband back. I am not all the way back but I am getting stronger everyday!!

God Bless anybody going thru this it is not easy!

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: stanleyatl
bolter (07-27-2012), Phoenix (07-27-2012), Wendy88 (08-10-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyatl View Post
I took your advice and tried to find a NA chapter close by and I di find two but both meet on nights when I work. So I talked to my wife and I think we are going to try to get back in church and see If I can find some group there.
Hello stanleyatl

Have you considered online meetings?
I know that AA has this option for sure.

Re-establishing your faith may do wonders for both you and your wife.If there's harmony there's less stress and tension.
Where there's less stress and tension,there's room for any relationship to flourish.

Wishing you the best
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 07-27-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
(male)

Smile Re: Going Cold Turkey again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Hello stanleyatl

Have you considered online meetings?
I know that AA has this option for sure.

Re-establishing your faith may do wonders for both you and your wife.If there's harmony there's less stress and tension.
Where there's less stress and tension,there's room for any relationship to flourish.

Wishing you the best
Phoenix
Thanks Phoenix,

I will try that I am now in day 9. Worked two 12 hour shifts that the last two days helped a lot to keep my mind busy. Yesterday was rough becausae I just could not slept the night before but I expect night like that to come and go. Slept great last night.

Thanks for the support!

Old 07-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
(male)

I am in day 10 and feeling better everyday! I have not had to use the immodium in two days (thank the Lord). My biggest struggles are after I work my long shifts my shoulder really hurts bad. I do have to say it does not hurt anymore than it did before on the meds, I guess I just have to figure a way to live with it. It still scares me that I am going to have this shoulder replaced and how I will handle that I know I am an addict and I never want to be put on pain meds again because I just can't control my Stop and Go nature. Has anyone out there ever tried to have major surgery just using OTC's after the surgery??

One of the more pleasant surprises out of this is how much better I feel in the morning. For over 3 years the first thing I would have to do is head for the pills when I got up because I felt so crappy. It would usually be at least 2 to 3 percocets right out of the gate to get the day started. I now wake up and I really feel good no pain at all. My energy level is improving everyday!

I am still having some issues with when I am alone tring to keep the bad thoughts out of my head. I know that all I have to do is pick up the phone and I can have what I need in less than an hour but I am determined to not let that happen so I try to find tasks to do keep my mind somewhere else!

Thanks for the ear, I don't if this helps anybody but it helps me!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 AM   #12
(male)

I guess I want to start off this morning day 11 by saying I am not posting here to recommend that anybody go cold turkey from any medication. I am posting because it makes me feel better! I think you and only you can be the judge as to whether "cold turkey" is the route you should take. I have done it because I know with my addictive nature it is the only way I can do it. I do believe if this is the route you choose to take you should be very sure you know your body. I have always been a very active person and have a body fat index of less than 20%. At 51 I can still out work just about anyone half my age. I have always been in very good health. Because Of my Start or stop personality I usually work my shifts straight thru 8 to 12 hours on my feet with only restroom breaks. I move equipment that out weights me by 3 times with ease. The only reason I started the mdications was because of accidents at work. I was flipped off the back of a truck tring to catch a 500 lb peice of equipemtn and hyper extened my knee in '07. In '09 I had to catch a 650 lb peice of equipment or it was going to crush me and I tore my rotator cuff.

Now with all that said I am feeling better today I had a pretty bad case of what I call "dead Legs" yesterday. It was a very long day at work to say the least but I got thru it. I slept like a rock and plan to start cutting back on the tylenol PM to see if that will help with the "dead legs". It could be a hang over effect from all the benedryl because I know in the past it can make you a little slggish the next day. I am going to increase the ensure to try get a little extra boost.

Bye for now I pray everyone out there struggling with this can have the strenth to fight the good fight! God Bless

Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User
Thumbs up Re: Going Cold Turkey again!

Hi wising yo well with your recovery,and you keep on keepin on you're doing great.

I could say WOW the adictive nature,
I can relate with, as I have always had it,when I was in my younger days it was Alcohol and weed , jeeze been 25 years THANK GOD for that as I Quit and put it into my business, and was just like you before my fall and was going from sun up to sun down every day, I obsessed with everything the jobs,books,taxes,supply,workers,payroll, over and over even if it was done right.
then it was to the shop to weld till 1-2 in the mornin, YOU WILL FIND THINGS TO DO TO STAY BUSY LOOK AT THE LAWN!!WHOOHOO I hear ya on the heat cookin you it has been around 108 for a week now, the month of 100 plus temps,

as it does make it hard being all alone by yourself, at least you have some people close to you to help you this time, and if you get back with the church it will give you so much back helps me for sure,

You just keep going it's over the hump time now, days will just get better, Take that obsessive/addictive nature and just keep your mind busy and you'l make it we all know you will.
Take care and good luck with your recovery

Old 08-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #14
(male)

Thanks NeckIssueGuy, That is exactly what i am doing it has now been 14 days two weeks and things are getting better everyday! I am still not 100% but getting a little closer everyday. I still have some trouble sleeping but it is getting better. I still have bouts with what I call "dead legs" where I just don't seem to have any energy in my legs but I just push thru those times. I also have a little bit of a headache everyday not bad but it it is just there you know.

I guess I just want everybody to know this can be done and you just have to want it. My shoulder pain is still there everyday but it it is not any worse than when I was on the meds. It gets pretty bad at times but I just endure. I know the time is coming when I will have to have surgery but I will go into that surgery drug free!

Thanks for the support!

The following user gives a hug of support to stanleyatl:
bolter (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #15
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyatl View Post
I am not posting here to recommend that anybody go cold turkey from any medication. I am posting because it makes me feel better! I think you and only you can be the judge as to whether "cold turkey" is the route you should take. I have done it because I know with my addictive nature it is the only way I can do it. I do believe if this is the route you choose to take you should be very sure you know your body.
Hello stanleyatl

This is very important.
Kudos for you, for posting this.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Closed Thread