It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

jimmym321 HB User
25 yrs on Methadone home detoxing

Hi I have been on methodone for over 25 yrs a model patient, never used more, not any other drugs, and I don't drink. I'm in very good health drink juices everyday, Greens drinks in the morning for many yrs. I'm 54 and was on 65 mg. My last take home of a month's supply was one month ago. I dropped 15 mg, then 10 mg, 10 mg to 35. Since then I'm dropping 5 mg a time. I'm splitting my dose. After a month I'm on 10 mg 2 x a day. I'm doing very well since I found out about drinking electrolytes - I drink a home made 1/2 gal batch a day. I started taking trace minerals - that also helped. I'm taking good 1 a day pack of vit plus good cal/mag drink. I also take 3 x a day L-Glutamine 1000mg and L-Tyrosine 500mg. I take 5-HTP 200MG & Taurine 1000mg at night, along with a SAM-E 400mg. And fish oil 3000mg a day. These things helped a lot. I hardly feel withdrawels Sleep is not normal, but not bad. I also when need it take 3mg melatonine. My plan was originally to get low as I can then take Soboxone for no more than 3 weeks, and as low as I can. If anyone has thoughts on that? How low should I try. I'm going down every 5 days. I'd like this to be over longest in three months. Besides PWS. Does it make a lot of difference jumping at 7 mg or 5, or 1mg? Is it worth the draging out? Since I'm doing so well, what about just going as low as I can 1 mg or less, and then going cold turkey? Or even lower? The problem I worry about is splitting the meth correctly, especially when I get that low! It hasn't been that bad yet. At 10mg it feels like I'm drinking nothing! I can't imagine 1mg! Lastly any other advice with things to add to my program would be appreciated. I was amazed what just drinking electrolytes did!

Another question when a person like me who seems to be doing so well on each drop, especially after taking these nutrients, say I get to 1 mg and I was ok from 2 - 1 mg when you finally drop off, or jump as you'all say, is that the most withdrawals people go through, or is it like I've been experiencing. One lady at a help site said it should keep going as is, constant step down, then finally you're receptors will thinks it's just one more step down. Another said NO! that last drop to 0 is hell. Any thoughts from anyone who went through this. I realize everyone's different.

Thank you by the way I'm Jimmy

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: jimmym321
Phoenix (07-31-2012), stanleyatl (07-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
(male)

stanleyatl HB Userstanleyatl HB User
Re: 25 yrs on Methadone home detoxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym321 View Post
Hi I have been on methodone for over 25 yrs a model patient, never used more, not any other drugs, and I don't drink. I'm in very good health drink juices everyday, Greens drinks in the morning for many yrs. I'm 54 and was on 65 mg. My last take home of a month's supply was one month ago. I dropped 15 mg, then 10 mg, 10 mg to 35. Since then I'm dropping 5 mg a time. I'm splitting my dose. After a month I'm on 10 mg 2 x a day. I'm doing very well since I found out about drinking electrolytes - I drink a home made 1/2 gal batch a day. I started taking trace minerals - that also helped. I'm taking good 1 a day pack of vit plus good cal/mag drink. I also take 3 x a day L-Glutamine 1000mg and L-Tyrosine 500mg. I take 5-HTP 200MG & Taurine 1000mg at night, along with a SAM-E 400mg. And fish oil 3000mg a day. These things helped a lot. I hardly feel withdrawels Sleep is not normal, but not bad. I also when need it take 3mg melatonine. My plan was originally to get low as I can then take Soboxone for no more than 3 weeks, and as low as I can. If anyone has thoughts on that? How low should I try. I'm going down every 5 days. I'd like this to be over longest in three months. Besides PWS. Does it make a lot of difference jumping at 7 mg or 5, or 1mg? Is it worth the draging out? Since I'm doing so well, what about just going as low as I can 1 mg or less, and then going cold turkey? Or even lower? The problem I worry about is splitting the meth correctly, especially when I get that low! It hasn't been that bad yet. At 10mg it feels like I'm drinking nothing! I can't imagine 1mg! Lastly any other advice with things to add to my program would be appreciated. I was amazed what just drinking electrolytes did!

Another question when a person like me who seems to be doing so well on each drop, especially after taking these nutrients, say I get to 1 mg and I was ok from 2 - 1 mg when you finally drop off, or jump as you'all say, is that the most withdrawals people go through, or is it like I've been experiencing. One lady at a help site said it should keep going as is, constant step down, then finally you're receptors will thinks it's just one more step down. Another said NO! that last drop to 0 is hell. Any thoughts from anyone who went through this. I realize everyone's different.

Thank you by the way I'm Jimmy
Jimmy, I have very limited experience with methadone only having taken it a few times when I could not score anything else. I do know that it is a very long lasting drug in your system and should be tapered off under a dr's supervision. I know it is long lasting because I took one two weeks before I had a routine drug test at my pain center and it still showed up. 25 years is a long time and it will certainly take sometime to taper off so take care and keep us posted.

God Bless!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello jimmym321

Welcome.

The thing here to remember is that no one knows your medical history better than your primary care physician.
I suggest going this route because of Murphy's Law(anything that can go wrong,will go wrong).

Please explain all that you have here to your PCP.

The thing to consider is that you most likely would want to get approval from your physician,which is usually done via physical examination(including bloodwork).

One abnormality can easily make a bad situation worse.Better safe than sorry.

Truth of the matter is that your doctor is aware of whatever meds you may be on.
Also,they have your medical history,so they can consider the best medication to hopefully provide optimum results.

Respectful and Sincere
Phoenix

Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
(male)

jimmym321 HB User

Thanks, the problem is the methadone clinic didn't want me to detox, or would have drawn it out for a yr. In one month I dropped to 1/4 what I was taking and doing fairly well. So, I basically walked off the clinic with my last 27 bottles, MORE than enough to detox. Primary Dr's just don't know. My Dr who knows a lot didn't even know I had to go through withdrawals before starting Suboxone. My blood work is 100% good, and that was a week ago well into this detox. Why I asked here, is because I learned more from people who went through this that any Dr would. I realize there are Dr's who know things holistically, but mine doesn't he looked shocked when I told him how much electrolytes helped. I'm out of work and getting assistance, I can't afford one of those Dr's. I hope this helps you understand why I'm asking. I'm hoping someone did what I'm about to do, no doubt in my mind I will succeed.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
I basically walked off the clinic with my last 27 bottles, MORE than enough to detox. Primary Dr's just don't know. My Dr who knows a lot didn't even know I had to go through withdrawals before starting Suboxone. .
Hello jimmym321

The facility allowed you to walk out with 27 bottles of methadone?
Please don't do anything illegal in order to prove your point.
We need people like you around to spread our message of hope to others.

Respectfully Stated
Phoenix

Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #6
(male)

jimmym321 HB User

As I said I have been clean for 20 yrs and have been on after care, no councelor. That's my take home every 2 weeks - because I'm on a split dose.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
(male)

jimmym321 HB User

My first post stated this below just wanted to reinforce that I stated upfront I had that many bottles

My last take home of a month's supply was one month ago.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
My first post stated this below just wanted to reinforce that I stated upfront I had that many bottles

My last take home of a month's supply was one month ago.
Hello jimmym321

I just found it odd but I suppose each facility has its' own policies.
If this is protocol,let me be the first to apologize.

In the six plus years here,i've never heard of this quantity as a take home protocol.

With all the strict guidelines these days,it was just surprising to me.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
(male)

jimmym321 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Hello jimmym321

I just found it odd but I suppose each facility has its' own policies.
If this is protocol,let me be the first to apologize.

In the six plus years here,i've never heard of this quantity as a take home protocol.

With all the strict guidelines these days,it was just surprising to me.

Respectfully
Phoenix
In the NYC - NJ area I could get once a month - for me that would have been 54 take home = 27 days. The only reason I didn't get once a month was because I lived out of state. They can call you in for up to 3 call backs to the clinic a yr. You'd have to bring in all your doses that you have taken. But this is DEA approved. I can only imagine in throughout the USA. Why not? They give people once a month "take home" although they may not call it that, of oxycottine (spelling?) I don't see any difference. It takes at least 2 yrs clean urines to start getting once a week, but after that it goes to 2 x a month. I was on this for 20 yrs never had a problem.

Thanks you for the apology.

Last edited by jimmym321; 08-01-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
(male)

jimmym321 HB User

I am trying to see about getting into, that is when I get a lower on the split dose, into a week or two detox rehab. I'm checking into it now to see if my disability medicare will cover it. I'd feel safer, and also they can get me through better the few days of withdrawals needed to start Suboxone. I just dropped another 3 mg. 10mg in the morning and 7mg at night. Normally I try to keep the split dose the same or equal, but in this case I think going from 10 split to 7 split would have been to much. I'm very pleased after taking all these nutrients that my withdrawals are very minor. When I started this a month ago as soon as I dropped the first 15 mg from 65 it was instant withdrawals sweating very badly. The 3rd drop of 10 to 35mg taking equally I started getting very irritable and couldn't handle listening to TV. The sound went right through me. But after the electrolytes and the trace minerals and other things I posted they went almost totally away. I feel like I may even be able to do this without Suboxone, but it's better to have a fall back than not and be very sick. In my mind I almost cannot imagine getting withdrawals from a 1 mg, as is when I took the 7mg last night I could hardly taste any methadone. One thing I notice it's taking longer for it to make me feel ok in the morn when I take the first dose, almost 2 hrs! Normally it would take 10-15 min at the reg dose of 65. I am very positive about this. Unless some type of providence happens I will beat this, and shortly. I will keep you posted as to the outcome. With the goal of helping others, and also encouraging others that this can be done. Even at home to some degree, if not totally. I appreciate the advice from everyone.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
(male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User

Wow! And I thought being on this crap for three years was bad! I give you alot of credit on your efforts! I was at 60 mils at one point but, quickly started weaning myself down. I tried 5 mils every two weeks and, went through muscles cramps and, insomnia through the whole ride. When I finally stopped taking the last 5 mils a day, The pains ran the length of my spine, across my shoulders, ribcage and down both my arms. Burning sensations and, naturally restless legs. I took my last dose on July 12 and, went through pure hell the first two weeks. But, just like you I never abused methadone because, it worked without the euphoric high! My spinal cord was badly flattened at my c5-c6 and, that disc had to go!!! Had surgery on Dec. 7th 2012 with great improvement! Now just getting the drugs out of my body. With great determination and alot of prayer. I need to know where my pain level is at with the rest of my body. I have injuries to my lumbar spine as well as, my thorasic spine. Hoping that once the methadone is out all that will calm too. Seems like right now, this is where I feel all my discomfort. It keeeps coming and going in waves as well as, my head feeling fuzzy at times. Keep up your efforts and, I will try some of the remedies that you mentioned in you post! Best to you. Methadone free 1 month and counting!! : )

Last edited by Itralian1; 08-12-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to Itralian1 For This Useful Post:
jimmym321 (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #12
(male)

jimmym321 HB User

Keep up the good work! I'm down to 7 mg morn and 7 mg at night. The other drops never bothered me much since taking the regiment I take, but this last drop, the first 3 days I was fine and the 4 have been tough. Heart pumping harder, skin feels wierd. But when I dose it goes away pretty much. I may go to a hosp detox for 3-5 days, that's all I can get, and if the pain is like what you discribe I may take soboxone for 2 - 3 weeksw at the most. I was dropping every 5 days had to wait this time before I drop further, hopefully in a day or two. I'm only droping 2 mg each time now. I'd love to go down to 0 mg from 1 mg, but if it keeps taking longer and longer to reach the feeling good point it may not be worth the effort. Some say you reach a wall were you never feel good. This hasn't happened yet, but maybe I'm getting there since I'm down to 14 mg split. I split because I always split my dose. Also many suggest a splitdose because it doesn't hold you has long when on lower doses like this. Did you keep that steady 5 mg drop the whole time? That would be a lot when on say 10 mg! going to 5 mg, but I know some clinics do this, I'm doing this on my own, my reg Dr knows what I'm doing. Anyhow keep me posted espeically if my regiment helps you! They say it helps, Amino Acids - repair your brain. Best for you my friend.

Closed Thread