It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
(male)

scarecrow447 HB Userscarecrow447 HB Userscarecrow447 HB User
Talking Sober and hating it

Ive been sober for about 8 months now and i just am really unhappy with my life still. I was a heroine and bathsalt user for the last days of my use and am still feeling the long term side affects on my body. I have a job and live with my parents still who support me and are overall nice to be around. But im trapped in a state absolute boredom. All my sober friends moved to college this year,so all i do is work and sleep. Im not saying thats bad, but it makes my using thoughts more common. Ive tried making friends in NA in the past, but we all brought eachother down into using again so im afraid to meet new people. Any ideas on how to meet sober friends besides meetings

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: scarecrow447
bolter (08-22-2012), Phoenix (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB User
Re: Sober and hating it

Have you tried searching in your area for groups you might be interested in joining? There's groups that do athletic activities together and groups that do spiritual practices together, theres groups for various hobbies...ther's usually a lot of stuff to find there, especially if your in a suburb or city area.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-22-2012 at 05:53 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

The Following User Says Thank You to jenga890 For This Useful Post:
scarecrow447 (08-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Find a church that you like. One that has good programs for young people.

The Following User Says Thank You to flintrock For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drscarecrow View Post
Ive been sober for about 8 months now and i just am really unhappy with my life still. I was a heroine and bathsalt user for the last days of my use and am still feeling the long term side affects on my body. I have a job and live with my parents still who support me and are overall nice to be around. But im trapped in a state absolute boredom. All my sober friends moved to college this year,so all i do is work and sleep. Im not saying thats bad, but it makes my using thoughts more common. Ive tried making friends in NA in the past, but we all brought
eachother down into using again so im afraid to meet new people. Any ideas on how to meet sober friends besides meetings
Hello DrScarecrow

When you discontinue using,expect there to b a void,which will need to be replaced by something positive.
Possibly a hobby like cycling, jogging, reading etc.

It's times like this that you have to stop and smell the roses.Even the little things that we often take for granted,like the air that we breathe should be placed in its proper perspective.

Both sunny and rainy days need to be appreciated.We were given another day to hopefully do something positive with.Try using this saying:"Rain or Shine,the day is mine."

Here's my challenge to you(if you are up to it).
Do at least one thing positive,that you normally wouldn't do(say hello to a stranger,go to the library,take a walk around your neighborhood.
Even opening a door for an elderly or disabled individual(come to think of it,include everyone,whether in good help or not) could be considered.
There's a saying I use at times:"if you want something you've never had before,you have to be prepared to do something you've never doe before."

Know that you don't only have to attend NA meetings.
AA meetings are based closely on the same principles,one of them admitting being powerless over a substance.
You can try it and remember that you don't have to agree with everything.....if it doesn't apply,let it fly.

If you are up to discussing this further,please don't hesitate to post.

Respectfully
Phoenix

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
(male)

scarecrow447 HB Userscarecrow447 HB Userscarecrow447 HB User

I am up to the challenge of doing something different that is good to get a good result i haven't had before. But i find myself in somewhat of a strange situation when it comes to joining new clubs and groups especially religious ones. Ive only made new friends for the past four years of my life by using and now i don't really feel comfortable in a large group setting or even one on one with someone sober because i don't feel i have anything to relate with them on, or that what im even saying doesn't sound completely idiotic to them. Basically im afraid of rejection and how i look to these people

Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Crazy Diamond HB UserCrazy Diamond HB UserCrazy Diamond HB UserCrazy Diamond HB User

Have you ever given thought to taking up playing a musical instrument? Guitar for example? It helped me early on when I got into trouble with H. I was in the same boat. Lonely, depressed. But I bought a cheap guitar, all I could afford, took some lessons, really liked the guy that taught the lessons, and from there I was hooked, on music that is. Met other folks that played. and 30+ years later, I play for charity, churches, meetings, inpatient folks. I totally understand how you feel. I was very guarded. But as I played, it occupied my time. I learned new songs, no matter how trivial they were. It was just me and the teacher way back. He did not judge me, just gave me encouragement. It really was a life saver for me.

Last edited by Crazy Diamond; 09-06-2012 at 09:46 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crazy Diamond For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Closed Thread