It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
(female)

cetiya HB User
how i quit crack

Phoenix asked me if i wanted to say how i quit crack and if i can help anyone, even one person, i will tell my story.
i smoked for about a year and was getting very close to reaching rock bottom. i was having trouble at work, was going to work after smoking all day, and i was late with my rent several times and just missed getting busted more than once. i realized i had to quit before i hit bottom. i lived alone and had noone to enable me or help me at all. i'm not into aa and wanted to quit alone, i was told you cant quit alone, but i did. i am a big reader and found a book in the library that helped me a lot. it mentioned triggers, that made all the difference to me to understand my triggers and how to avoid them. pay day was a trigger, certain streets were triggers and certain people were triggers. i had to let go of people i really cared about, you cant quit crack and hang around with crack heads! i had a friend i could call when my cravings hit. i also found out cravings are temporary. i often wished i had someone to handcuff me to the coffee table so when the cravings hit i couldnt go buy anything. they only last about 10-20 minutes and then they fade. you can only quit when you are determined and desperate. the cravings will get you over and over again.
i was able to quit for a month, and gave in to the cravings. after a big binge, i remembered why i needed to quit so bad. i thought of the relapses as theraputic. it was like lancing a boil. it was so bad i had to binge and then i was able to go longer without bingeing. so then i'd go two months, relapse and then go 4 months without. everytime you win over a craving, you get a tiny bit stronger and they get weaker. (at least thats what i told myself.!) finally i binged only twice a year and then gave it up all together.
dont wait to reach rock bottom. if you know you have to give it up,, just get on with it. you dont have to lose everything. do all you can to win over the cravings. they are the worst part of the whole thing and last for freaken years. dont let a little pile of white crap win over you. you have to be stronger. and dont give up just cos you relapse, just start over again. and again and again. it took me almost a year to quit completely.

The following user gives a hug of support to cetiya:
Phoenix (08-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to cetiya For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (08-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: how i quit crack

Hello cetiya,

Thank you for sharing with us.
I also quit by myself but I first needed to go through outpatient clinics,30 day inpatient programs and even went through the rooms of NA and AA.

I agree with you about those cravings but it seemed back then that those brief 10 or 20 minutes lasted hours.
For many,relapse is part of the recovery process(personal experience).
If a person never makes mistakes,then what can they truly learn from;other than other's unfortunate experiences.

Experiencing the trials and tribulations provides a person with a unique perspective,which can be the difference between recovery or continued relapse.
We want the best for each and every one who is having a difficult time coping.
We can relate because we've been there.
Know that you don't have to stay stuck;there are helping hands out there.

Respectfully
Phoenix

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Pacifier (08-26-2012)
Closed Thread