It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2001, 05:56 PM   #1

ericad HB User
Post Drinking mouthwash to get drunk

Hi. My boyfriend is an alcholic. I think he also has, in attempt to drink secretly, been drinking listerine and getting drunk on it. He says he has a bad toothache and that using alot of listerine helps take away the soreness in his tooth. In other words he says he's not Drinking it. I think that he is though because he sometimes hides the bottle and its all gone a couple of hours later. When he is done his eyes are all red and he has trouble focusing and he can barely stand up by about a half hour later. Also the smell of the mouthwash stays on his breath even into the morning. He claims he is just tired. What can be done about this? I think he's been doing it for at least a couple of months. What are some of the side effects that I could bring to his attention (ulcers??) Is this common? Is there something that may help him ease the pain of withdrawl from this kind of thing? I'm very worried about him and it is a very sticky situation. Thank you for your help.

Old 02-09-2001, 07:25 PM   #2

TrickyDick HB User
As you know,if you ingest mouthwash that contains alcohol your supposted to seek proffessional assistance or contact the poison control center immediately.
The reason for this is that the alcohol that is in the mouthwash is not the kind your can drink....its the kind that will kill you or make you go blind (literaly).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2001, 07:41 PM   #3

ericad HB User
Question

Hi. No I was not aware of that at all. Is it possible that he may have built up a tolerance to this? Does it make a person have the symptoms I described earlier(appearing drunk, red eyes,etc...)? Or are you saying that it isnt possible that he's doing that and that something else is going on (he's definetly ingesting something else if its not that)? Your knowledge and everyone elses is much appreciated. thank you.

Old 02-10-2001, 09:31 AM   #4

Christine HB User
Hi -

I used to work with a girl whose mother was always being arrested outside of the local CVS - she would drink mouthwash - big bottles of it to get drunk - BAD alchohol - Trickydick is right - very bad side effects - it is not made for ingestion.

Get him to a dentist for the tooth so he has no more excuses!!! I'd try to get him some help, if not, get yourself some with Alanon or something.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
(male)

d_mott HB User
Re: Drinking mouthwash to get drunk

I'm a 21 year old recovering Alcoholic, 6 months sober. For years in boarding school I used to fill large Listerine bottles with 100 proof Peppermint Schnapps and blue dye. It was the perfect way to get drunk. Hopefully that's what you're boyfriend is doing, because actually drinking Listerine regularly is probablly even worse for him than just alcohol. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that there is much of anything that you can do for him, accept stop enabling him. It's his life and he makes his own decisions, which if he's gettin drunk on listerine are clearly not the best decisions.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
Re: Drinking mouthwash to get drunk

ericad, the only help is Alanon for you and then you'll understand how you can help him. In some ways your problem is as big as his (except you're unlikely to go blind through your addiction to him or other addict type persons.)

Best wishes in the meantime

Closed Thread