It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

dogcito HB Userdogcito HB User
Demon drink

Hi
8th day without a drink. Feel very bored but need to keep going with this. Too many years of too many bad happenings because of the booze. Gottta hang in there this time! otherwise I am seriously finished.

Good luck

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: dogcito
Phoenix (09-04-2012), Wendy88 (09-04-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
(female)

cocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB Usercocoa100 HB User
Re: Demon drink

keep stong you can do it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello dogcito

Glad to see you here sharing. :-)

My issue was not alcohol abuse, but drug abuse. I tapered off over a long period of time. However, I can understand your feelings exactly. As I came out of the drug haze, I would often find myself standing absolutely still and wondering what the heck to do with myself. I was not working so I really had too much time on my hands!

One day as I stood in that "what-to-do stupor" I thought to myself, "Pick up the broom and start sweeping." I think that was perhaps the beginning of me returning to myself. I would sweep, unload the dishwasher, fold laundry. All so mundane, but these are things I had not done in a long, long time. My poor hubby had been picking up all the slack as I existed in drug haven. I had lost interest in everything I once enjoyed.

From those mundane tasks, I stretched myself further and reached out for social contact once again with family and friends. Every little encounter was a victory and another little step to becoming restored. Toady, I am fully engaged in living again.

Start a project... clean out the basement, the garage, make something with wood, cook, whatever. Get outdoors and walk, run, garden. Force yourself to do some of these things and make your life fuller little by little. It will happen, you will be okay and enjoying life again.

Stay strong, stay determined
reach

The following user gives a hug of support to reachout:
Phoenix (09-05-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (09-05-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
(female)

Thank you. I'm going to A.A - had a wake up call with police. Really do not want to go down that road. That's no life!!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcito View Post
I'm going to A.A - had a wake up call with police. Really do not want to go down that road. That's no life!!!!
Dogcito,

Being in AA can be a rewarding experience.
Then there's that law enforcement element.
If this motivates you to staying stopped,then by all means use the experience to the best of your advantage.
Life can begin today for you.This day will be the most important day of my life because possibilities are endless
Tomorrow will take care of itself,as long as you stay within this day;not tomorrow's.
This ultimately means that you can make future plans and the like but just be aware of today and try to be grateful for it.

Respectfully,
Phoenix

Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
(female)

PurpleSaddle HB UserPurpleSaddle HB User

Just wanted to say congrats to you for realizing this before you dig yourself into a bigger hole. I myself went to my first AA meeting in December 2011 and have been sober ever since. The last 6 years of my life I have been nothing but drunk, literally. It took me 10 hospital trips ( with a few of those close to death ), I lost EVERYTHING and was deemed homeless at 22 years of age because of alcohol. Keep up the amazing work! And yes, it does get a million times easier so stick with it! PM me if you ever need to talk about it

The following user gives a hug of support to PurpleSaddle:
dogcito (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
(female)

Hi
Thanx for your support. I really find this being in the day thing difficult as I have a lot of practical e.g. money probs etc to sort out. I never spent that much on alcohol as I was kind of an invisible drinker if you know what I mean. Can you explain to me how you stay in the day?

Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
(female)

Hi
I love animals too. I am finding being sober really boring but I have to stick with it. It's not helped by the fact that my husband is unemployed and I also have very little work right now. Yeah! but I am kind of safe from the booze today as I'm still in shock about the police thing. I'm not from a criminal background and I'm very upset.
If you want to run anything past me do so. take care.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #9
(female)

Hi
Thanks for your support. Well it's not as if I've never taken a drug in my life is it? it's just my drug of choice was alcohol. sounds like you're doing well. Hang in there!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
(female)

PurpleSaddle HB UserPurpleSaddle HB User

Quote:
Hi
Thanx for your support. I really find this being in the day thing difficult as I have a lot of practical e.g. money probs etc to sort out. I never spent that much on alcohol as I was kind of an invisible drinker if you know what I mean. Can you explain to me how you stay in the day?
I found that the only thing that worked for me was to KEEP BUSY. Keeping yourself busy is very important. I found that when I was not busy and had free time I tortured myself thinking about alcohol and battled with myself every waking minute.

The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleSaddle For This Useful Post:
dogcito (09-06-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
I really find this being in the day thing difficult as I have a lot of practical e.g. money probs etc to sort out. Can you explain to me how you stay in the day?
Dogcito,

Staying in the day is entering the day with a mindset that no matter what goes wrong or extremely right this 24 hour period,I will not drink;about one I may think but by all means,I won't pick up.
I won't pick up because I realize the consequences could be dire and i'm not willing(any longer) to play *blindman's poker* with my life.
I'd rather stay sober,with my head above water,than inebriated,with my head so far from the surface,that i can't tell my backside from my elbow.
I do this today because reality teaches me that today is all I have and tomorrow isn't promised to me,as i'm going to make this day a positive one.
No matter what comes my way;whether financial,physical,psychological or situational,I will not pick up a drink..........
I owe at least that much to myself.
--------------------------------------------
At least that's how I would interpret it.

*Blindman's poker entails being unable to see while you trust everyone else to view your cards and help you win.*

Most Respectfully Stated,
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 09-05-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: additional comment

Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
(female)

candyheart HB User

Find several other AA meetings. Get to 2 or 3 meetings a day. Work your day around the meetings. A morning meeting-- gets you up, shower & breakfast. Then do those things you need to do for the day-- errands, cleaning up, laundry,whatever. Have lunch before or after your next meeting. Later on, in the afternoon, do something for yourself-- take a walk, read, call a friend, garden, watch a favorite TV show until it is time to cook dinner. Now get to your evening meeting--afterwards go out for coffee with your sponsor or a new acquaintance. Your day is over and you should be tired. Repeat this day over and over again. This is your new job-- staying sober. Many people, new to sobriety go to a few meetings a day. It keeps you focused, surrounded by people who need the same as you, busy, and gets you into a routine( something you probably haven't had in a while). You don't need to do all this forever, this is just to get you going and to forget about drinking. Another option would to fine a good outpatient program. YOU CAN DO THIS, YOU HAVE TO WANT TO. Never forget to remember!!!!!!!!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to candyheart:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Closed Thread