It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User
NA.... ? Overwhelmed and confused

Well I decided to look up my area NA online. I went to the main site and it seemed so confusing and overwhelming. It made me annoyed. I pulled up the page that explains their abbreviations, but I don't understand what meeting (if I decide to go) is right for me.
I don't want to talk, I just want to listen. I want to be able to leave if I want (although I hope to stay my first time). I can't understand what each meeting is about. Am i missing something? I feel ok except for a migraine..... maybe that plus residual withdrawals (I think I'm on day 5?) are making me impatient and a bit obtuse.
I still am keeping my mind open. I'm just frustrated and needed to vent.
Thanks for listening
W

The following user gives a hug of support to Wendy88:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: NA.... ? Overwhelmed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy88 View Post
Well I decided to look up my area NA online. I can't understand what each meeting is about. Am i missing something? I feel ok except for a migraine..... maybe that plus residual withdrawals (I think I'm on day 5?) are making me impatient and a bit obtuse.
I still am keeping my mind open. I'm just frustrated and needed to vent.
Thanks for listening
W
W,

There are open meetings,which are available for all to attend;the entire public at large.The closed meetings are of a more intimate setting there's the closed,where those that have identified themselves as addicts or are unsure,can feel more comfortable. Step meetings are designed to address the 12 steps solely;where issues and identification with what is being read should be focused on and shared.This may be a round-table type of setting,in which every person reads a few excerpts from the "Big Book" or a show of hands(depending upon the person conducting the meeting.

Even though sharing is expected after reading said excerpt,it can be optional by simply saying:"My name is ----- and i'm a recovering addict(followed by the group saying "Hi -----")."Although I Identify with what was read,I respectfully am mixed with emotions and am just grateful for the meeting;thanks for letting me share."(usually followed by:"thanks for sharing"by the group.)
Some formats are: speaker, study(book, literature, step), topic discussion, and some have a combination of these formats.

No matter the meeting,the focus should be on recovery and they are funded by public contributions.

At least,that's what i've learned over time.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

Interesting. Thank you for that. Really.
So i could attention an Open or really even a closed - I know I'm an addict.
I guess I could introduce myself.
The Big Book, I'm assuming is the bible. I won't get into my beliefs here, but it would be hard for me to be in a group that was about Jesus or even God. No offense here at all, no judgement.... (it's hard to write that cause I don't want to offend a single person and their beliefs) but it's just not for me. But I know it helps others more than I know. Where does the "higher power" part come in where you can pick yours if you're like me?
With that info in hand, can you answer me - can I skip the table meetings?
I hope these questions are OK. I just know I'll get the truth here.

Do some people just go to closed meetings to listen, talk, for support? Maybe join the 12 steps but maybe just go to those specific meetings?

Thanks again for explaining. I was so confused. . My friend, I really and truly appreciate your help.
This is an interesting concept to think about.... to go to NA. I've never even looked into it until now. Hmm. I'll keep exploring their site too.
Food for thought, or hopefully, to sleep on!! The sun has just risen, I still have my migraine (day 3) and am not into rising with the sun!!
W

Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Wendy,you're welcome.

The Big Book for NA explains everything needed to know to work the steps. It's a great way to start for those wanting help.
The concept of Higher Power is the spiritual being or entity of your understanding.
There is no obligation to attend any meeting but it's suggested that the more you attend in the beginning,the better(hence the term 90[meetings] in 90 days).

Different people go to different meetings for all types of reasons.A person with a "burning desire"(drug craving) may just attend the closest meeting;just to be around fellow members.

They may even suggest you get a sponsor(an individual with enough clean time,that you can call when the need arises(cravings,etc.).

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ah, I feel so silly thinking the Big Book was the bible. I think it's cause that's what they call it in my favorite movie, A Clockwork Orange. Lol- oops!

90 in 90... never heard it. Wow, everyday. Although I'm not working right now so technically I have the time.
Cool about the higher power concept. I'd have to discuss that there as there is a lot I do not believe in, and some kind of strange things that I do. So somewhere in there maybe is something workable.
This is all very interesting food for thought. I appreciate all the time and knowledge you have bestowed upon me. Thank you for this. Really.
W

Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy88 View Post
Ah, I feel so silly thinking the Big Book was the bible. I think it's cause that's what they call it in my favorite movie, A Clockwork Orange. Lol- oops!

90 in 90... never heard it. Wow, everyday. Although I'm not working right now so technically I have the time.
Cool about the higher power concept. I'd have to discuss that there as there is a lot I do not believe in, and some kind of strange things that I do. So somewhere in there maybe is something workable.
This is all very interesting food for thought. I appreciate all the time and knowledge you have bestowed upon me. Thank you for this. Really.
W
Wendy,

I have heard it called the "NA Bible" so don't feel so bad.
The Higher Power concept refers to the revelation that a force or being that is greater than us has granted us the ability to retain sanity.
It's a "we" program,although you will have to do the heavy lifting(metaphorically).
Once again Wendy,you're welcome.
Maybe one day you'll be able to pass it on to another individual in need.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 09-04-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added smiley

Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope to be able to pass my story along now as I struggle and in the future when I know I'll be on the other side of it all. I'd like to help people here, although it's tough when you are popping pills yet saying, don't do it!
As far as NA, I am seriously thinking of attending an open session before the end of the month (I'll be in and out of town so I gotta see what would work in my area).... but I won't decide it's not for me til I see it for myself.
I'm sure I could learn a lot there...
Always grateful,
W

Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Wendy,

One last thing:"what you see there and hear there,should stay there."
I have seen actors but do to the anonymity of it all,I couldn't get any more specific than that.

If you work the program;truly become involved and work the steps,it may just change your life.

There are a few things that I left out but when you attend,you'll know why.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 09-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for this info. All of it. Ill take it all.
I understand. I get the anonymity of it all and respect that part greatly. If I see any one I know, it could ruin my career so I know the risk is the same for others... which is why that level of respect and quiet is there.
I promised myself I'd go to one this month. Now I must keep that promise. It's easier to keep it if I make this thought public. No one knows this idea but me.
I feel nervous even though I won't have time to go for at least a week or two.

Had a good night with friends but got so tired. Finally my stomach wasn't well, and tonight I'm sick. It's ok. I think of it as cleansing. Plus, you can't get away with my binge this past month -200 15 mg roxys in under 2 weeks - without some sort of body
reprocussion.
I believe I'll find help, obviously this board and maybe NA or some other type of group if I don't like NA. I havent been open to any form of help outdide of myself before. Its hard to hand over that control that maybe i cant do it alone. Thats gonna be a real struggle for me, I think. but the amount of pills I did last month is unacceptable. At least I know why I did it. I understand the source and could talk about it in a group.
I feel uncomfortable admitting all that. Is that normal? I feel that way when I am really open and honest about things that are like this....
So much to consider...
Sorry for the rambling. I'm sure I've said all this a thousand times. I'm just thinking things out here. And doing it sober. Irregardless of why I'm sober now, its still a vulnerable state. I'm trying to learn more ... and listen a little better this round.
W

Phoenix (09-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Wendy88 For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Closed Thread