It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
(female)

dogcito HB Userdogcito HB Userdogcito HB User
Dry for one month!

Well I've managed to go for without a drink for one month. Physically I feel well. I'm happy that I'm not drinking but mentally I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster and I'm finding it difficult to fill in the the time I spent drinking on some other activity. Unfortunately I live in an area where not a lot goes on and added to that I haven't got much money to spend.

A.A is giving me some hope but so far recovery is dreary most of the time. But they say the first year is the worst and that things will get better slowly if I follow the programme.

I know there is no other way. Stop drinking or die. But it's hard building a new lifestyle.

Take care all .

The following 5 users give hugs of support to: dogcito
amknight (09-20-2012), Grantmetheseren (10-01-2012), Phoenix (09-24-2012), SanyBelle (10-06-2012), Wendy88 (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User
Re: Dry for one month!

Well done on you first month, that is an incredible achievement you should feel very proud of yourself. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be, the bes of luck for the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Agenda For This Useful Post:
dogcito (09-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi dogcito

Congratulations on your one month milestone!

It can be dreary building a new life (or restoring the one we had before we got lost in addiction). Everything about recovery is measured in baby steps. As I was withdrawing from opaites, I, too, found myself wondering what to do. I truly had to concentrate to figure out what activities I had given up as I fell into drug haze.

For me, it was forcing myself to do some household chores every day. I felt a sense of accomplishment if I got the laundry done, swept the floors, everyday stuff like that that I just hadn't done for so long. I started calling family and friends again and becoming a part of family occasions again. Dogcito, most people do not live a super exciting life. We live everyday lives where we work, spend time with family and friends, and maybe a movie or outing from time to time. It is up to us individually to decide to be happy in our life.

Keep following the AA program and as you do, start stretching yourself a bit by reaching out to family and friends. Sober and happy life will begin budding when we put the effort into building it. Gently I say to you that being drunk was not living, it was just existing. Why grieve for that? Instead, start rejoicing that you are in a position now to seek true happiness in life. It is there for the taking and comes as our thinking changes.

Hoping for all good things for you
reach

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
(female)

Hi
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm just doing things day by day. Unfortunately I have no family(all dead) I have only one friend(who lives in another country) . I have my husband but I'm not very sure it's the right relationship for me in the long run. I just have a sponsor and go to meetings and that's all that keeps me going.
sounds like you are doing well. all addictions are the same except the consequences of the addictions can be more damaging than others e.g. in a legal way. the road of recovery is tough but I think we can do it with support. Take care.

The following user gives a hug of support to dogcito:
Wendy88 (10-07-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcito View Post
Well I've managed to go for without a drink for one month. Physically I feel well. I'm happy that I'm not drinking but mentally I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster and I'm finding it difficult to fill in the the time I spent drinking on some other activity. Unfortunately I live in an area where not a lot goes on and added to that I haven't got much money to spend.

A.A is giving me some hope but so far recovery is dreary most of the time. But they say the first year is the worst and that things will get better slowly if I follow the programme.

I know there is no other way. Stop drinking or die. But it's hard building a new lifestyle.

Take care all .
Dogcito

I typed a response for you but it seems to have been lost somewhere in cyberspace.

Determination,effort and perseverance will keep you on the right path.

Are there any hobbies or projects that you considered embarking on in the past but couldn't find the time to begin?

AA has been beneficial for many.
If you are up to it, try concentrating on the message,as compared to the messenger conveying it.

In all reality,the past cannot be undone but can be put into perspective as a learning experience.We are all still learning.

You've admitted to yourself that there was a probem and realizing this alone is a monumental step
Along those lines,you've also taken action, which speaks much louder than words ever could.

Please remember that temptation takes no vacation,nor does it sleep.

If you continue experiencing psychological strain,might I suggest explaining this to your doctor.Another alternative is seeing a therapist.There's definitely no shame in that.
It's about you taking the necessary steps to help assure continue success towards a better quality of living.

Please feel free to post as often as you like.

Congrats

Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 09-24-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
(female)

Hi Phoenix
Well it's now 5 wks that I've been dry. I've got a sponsor from A.A I can't afford counselling. She says the first year is very hard emotionally and soon I will start trying to do the programme. I have nothing to lose by NOT drinking because it just messes everything up. I'm in my middle years and physically my body doesn't need it anyway. I am keen to keep dry now. I am prepared for difficult times but also for feeling much better mentally in the long run.

Take care. I really appreciate your comments. keep in touch please.

The following user gives a hug of support to dogcito:
Phoenix (09-30-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Hi Phoenix
Well it's now 5 wks that I've been dry. I've got a sponsor from A.A I can't afford counselling. She says the first year is very hard emotionally and soon I will start trying to do the programme. I have nothing to lose by NOT drinking because it just messes everything up. I'm in my middle years and physically my body doesn't need it anyway. I am keen to keep dry now. I am prepared for difficult times but also for feeling much better mentally in the long run.

Dogcito,

Thanks for your kind words;they are definitely appreciated.
How often do yo speak to your sponsor or attend meetings?

If you can equate drinking with negativity,you're halfway there.

Keep on the right track and you'll begin to realize that your quality of life will change for the better.
Just know that some days will be better than others and that temptation takes no vacation.doesn't sleep and is always ready to annoy.
Know that and you'll be fine.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 10-02-2012 at 03:54 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Phoenix:
dogcito (10-02-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
I am prepared for difficult times but also for feeling much better mentally in the long run.

Dogcito,

Hoping for the best while preparing for the worse is not a bad thing at all.

We all help each other around here.

Who knows? I might call upon you one day for adice or support or maybe even both simultaneously.

How are you doing as of late?

Respectfully
Phoenix

Reply Reply