It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2001, 08:09 PM   #1

juliek HB User
Question Do you want to quit for good?

I was thoroughly addicted to alcohol. I tried AA twice in my life. Then I got scared enough to post on these message boards. After that I did more surfing and found the Rational Recovery web site. I was permanently sober two days later, with NO doubt in my mind of the future. Please, if you're not in dire physical condition, please study the Rational Recovery web site before joining rehabs or AA/NA recovery groups.

Now, you're going to hear AA/NA members disagree STRONGLY with this post. But, can you take 2-3 days to end your addictions permanently and privately with RR rather than spend your life in meetings? 12-step recovery groups have a 5% permanent sobriety rate and it's tentative (one day at a time) at that. Please just check out the RR web site. I wish you the greatest success. Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2001, 09:17 PM   #2

TrickyDick HB User
Hey Girls and Guys,
Before you visit that web site, go here and do some research. Interesting. [url="http://www.alcoholism.about.com/health/alcoholism/library/weekly/aa990616.htm"]http://www.alcoholism.about.com/health/alcoholism/library/weekly/aa990616.htm[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2001, 04:58 AM   #3

juliek HB User
You posted the URL to an article. The RR site has live testimonial letters and factual accounts of what really happens in AA/NA. I've experienced the "Horrors of AA" and I know Jack went to AA in his early years of sobriety. Go read the Love Letters and Hate Letters along with Jack's responses to these. You'd be amazed. Good luck. Julie

Old 02-20-2001, 09:46 PM   #4

Christine HB User
Hi Julie -

Whenever you have the urge again to use the term "permanently sober" remember this:

Every bottom has a trap door.

Peace.

Old 02-21-2001, 06:49 PM   #5

juliek HB User
That's interesting. That's the same thing people very indoctrinated in 12-stepping use all the time. Let's see, is there anything that you could say, ferverently, that you'd never do? Such as kill a 1-year-old? How about beating your 95-year-old mother to death? Well, these are all behavior choices. Unless I'm wrong. Aren't they behavior choices? Or, let's get less morbid. How about smashing the living daylights out of someone's car in the middle of the night. Are these things choices? Or no? Julie

Old 02-21-2001, 07:02 PM   #6

juliek HB User
And, TrickyDick, thanks for posting the URL of that editorial article. It gives us a great way to directly read some of the letters posted on the Rational Recovery Board; letters stating how grateful the ex-steppers are in really hearing, seeing, and feeling the truth. Julie

Old 02-22-2001, 07:19 AM   #7

Christine HB User
I believe there is an extremely important difference between behaviour choices and morality choices - comparing killing a child to taking a drink..... hmmmmmmmmm. Let's talk after you and I both have a good measure of sobriety under our belts, because at this point, neither of us is really qualified to say "what works" - you have been sober all of.... what? and I only have 5 1/2 months under my belt. I know for ME, a drug addict and alchoholic, going to AA meetings and listening and sharing with another person with the same problem has literally saved my life. Alone by myself on the computer at night in the "safety comfort and anonymity of my own home" is how I got to the point I was desparate enough to not want to wake up in the morning.
Just remember, Julie, that you always need to be on your guard against the things that made us alchoholics in the first place - you have to change so much to get out of that place and live a life that is free of that bond of addiction. I am highly skeptical of any program that causes you to say in 48 hours you were permanently "cured".

Old 02-27-2001, 09:19 AM   #8

Cat54 HB User
First of all, let me say that I bellieve that any program that helps one get and stay sober & clean is a good program. I, like Juliek, went to Rational Recovery and it's worked for me for 14 months now. But I wouldn't dream of "bashing" AA, RR or any other group--I think addicts looking for help should try different things and do whatever works for them. After all, our common goal is to get and stay off drugs/alcohol, not to argue over how to do it. Everybody is different and I believe that is why no one program works for everybody--to each his own as the saying goes. Just my opinion--thanks for letting me air it.

Old 02-28-2001, 10:00 AM   #9

le4 HB User
Wow! It is great to see so many people passionate about their recovery! For me, If I beleive I am permanant "anything" I am whistleing in the dark. It is a great protective sheild, but as time passes so does my need to be with the "right" group. I take what I need, leave the rest, and truely consider other points of view. Not everyone will enjoy a 12 step program,(Heck some meetings or groups are down right terrible)but not everyone would take a "miracle cure" either. It is the journey, not the destination (again sorry for the cliche')! Good luck with your program or lack there of because just like religion or shoe size (for atheists) one isnt going to fit everyone. But thank God (again sorry for the spiritual mention to agnostics and atheist) we have more than one road to travel(Sorry Scot Peck). No matter how people get dry, great! It is the "sobriety thing" that takes the work. It took me years to know the diffrence.

Old 03-01-2001, 06:50 AM   #10

Cat54 HB User
Well said, le4!

Old 03-25-2001, 12:22 PM   #11

beano HB User
Wink

You might also like to take a look at the SMART recovery website, and also Dr. Stanton Peele's site. Although rational recovery works for me, these sites are a little easier to take as far as the AA bashing goes.

Closed Thread