It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
(male)

EasyCompany2445 HB User
Need advice getting off of Subutex

I began taking Subutex about 7 years ago. I had become addicted to Vicodin and my addiction was about 4 extra strengths a day and I finally sought help from a doctor who put me on subutex back in 2005 and I have been taking them ever since. During this time I have been able to taper down to tiny pieces with really not much of a problem but I always go back up to 8mg a day.

It's time, I want off of this crap once and for all. I can immediately start on a very low dose by breaking them down.

How long should I do this and what kind of withdrawals can I expect. I can't believe that I have been on this for so long and should have jumped off of them a long time ago but my doctor has always told me that he would rather me be on this then abusing opiates. The sub effects my short term memory, I am constipated all the time, irritable and feel drowsy a lot.

I have been through some hard stuff in the past year. My father died, my wife of 10 years left me for another man and when I was married moved to a unfamiliar area of the country with no relatives. I am struggling financially right now and my ex is not being cooperative with visitation of my son even though we have joint legal custody. So it's been one helluva year. However, I am ready to get off of this stuff once and for all. I have had it.

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you and have a good day.

Easy

Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
(female)

Grantmetheseren HB UserGrantmetheseren HB UserGrantmetheseren HB User
Re: Need advice getting off of Subutex

Easy Company... just want to give you some support. I am trying ot stop my habit which is also to hydro the same dose you were at when you went on subutex. I am wondering what the doctor who gives you the Subutex thinks. I assume he put you on it to get off the Vics but he started a new addiction. I would assume the WD's are similar to hydro or even less since the half life is longer. The board has been so quiet lately... if anyone else could chime in, that would be great .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
(male)

EasyCompany2445 HB User
Re: Need advice getting off of Subutex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantmetheseren View Post
Easy Company... just want to give you some support. I am trying ot stop my habit which is also to hydro the same dose you were at when you went on subutex. I am wondering what the doctor who gives you the Subutex thinks. I assume he put you on it to get off the Vics but he started a new addiction. I would assume the WD's are similar to hydro or even less since the half life is longer. The board has been so quiet lately... if anyone else could chime in, that would be great .
Thanks for the comments.

Yes it has been quiet. I personally have not been on here for quite some time as I was not really consciously thinking of getting off of them until now.

I have found one thing though, that going from 8mg to 0.4 mg in the matter of a few days doesn't seem to bother me too much. It's just when I stop taking them altogether that it seems to be tough. But it's time to stop them.

As far as the physician who prescribes them to me goes, I think that he's a good guy and I think he probably thinks it's better for people to be on sub then hyrdros. Since subutex doesn't really produce a euphoria and it contains a very long half life. It does slow me down and I tend to act like a jackass the more I take.

Thanks for the support. Hang in there.

Easy

Last edited by EasyCompany2445; 09-23-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Closed Thread