It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
(male)

tracker6uk HB User
URGENT: Cold turkey off alcohol

Please Please help me.
I need advice fast.
I have been a heavy drinker for about 20 years but over the past 3 to 4 years have made various attepts to give up or cut down to no avail.
Over the past 8 months I have lost my job family & home & I'm currently at my parents.
I was prescribed diazepam about 3 weeks ago 5mg but stopped taking it and have 4 pills left. Over the past 5 days I've been drinking between 12 & 16 units a day after a 6 day abstenance but I desperatly just want to quit once and for all. I'm terrified of haveing seizures and I need to know if 1 diazepam 5mg each day for 4 days will stave off these for the 3 day danger period?

Please help

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tracker6uk
Phoenix (10-02-2012), Wendy88 (10-04-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: URGENT:- Cold turkey off alcohol

Hello Tracker

Happy to meet you, although sorry under such dire circumstances.

I have no idea really about how much the diazepam will help. What I do know, however, is that coming off cold turkey about long time drinking and in such large amounts, you are risking major seizures at the very least and some even more severe consequences at the most.

What I suggest, Friend, is that you get to an Emergency Room and tell them exactly what is going on. Coming off the diazepam, which is a benzo, suddenly after 3 weeks of use is also not such a good choice.

I am not surre about the "3 day danger period." Quite honestly, I have never heard of that. Maybe someone with more knowledge will pop into this post soon and advise on that.

Please get to a hospital. Trying to make plans when you are already in a bit of a frenzy is not wise. Go get some help from the doctors and then sit with a professional to help you get off everything.

Come back and post. We all care what is happening to you and hope to see good things happen for you.

With care and concern
reach

The following user gives a hug of support to reachout:
Phoenix (10-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
(male)

tracker6uk HB User

Thanks for the reply. I had only been taking the Diazepams for th 6 days I was sober so I'm not too concerned about that. It is just the severe withdrawal symptoms of alcohol I'm worried about.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello tracker6uk

I have to agree with reachout's assessment.

Going on and off of meds can have an adverse reaction on the system.
Please leave it to the professionals to make a decision on what to do going forward.
Four pills are not a lot to work with,plus the doctors are aware of your medical history.

Please help us help you by considering the options placed before you.
You deserve a better quality of living and we're here to try to help you achieve that and more.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
(male)

tracker6uk HB User

Trouble is I'm getting conflicting advice. I'm told to carry on drinking and tapper off but the trouble is once I take the 1st drink I cant stop. and then there are triggers that will set me off drinking again. The other problem is I've ran out of finance to carry on drinking. So I was told by my alcohol worker to take the diazepams but then I got my benifits so stopped the meds and drank again. it is horrendious !

Old 10-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Tracker

My friend, I really do believe you need to work this out in rehab or privately with a doctor, a professional, to conquer this addiction. We need to have solid plans in place, live people to hold us accountable and live support.

There has not been success trying on your own and flying by the seat of your pants. Time to get a regulated plan in place. First step is to start with what you know... you are not capable of trying to ween down. No shame in that, it is like that for most. Truly, your best bet is to work on this with a doctor who can provide the meds you need to withdraw safely and to get support from AA, a social worker or phychologist. No man is an island in fighting addiction successfully. Through counseling, we discover the root of what we are hiding from as we lose ourselves in a drunken haze. We learn to cope with Life using a new set of strategies. This takes guidance. Withdrawal truly is but the first step in the process.

You can do this. You can retore your brain, your body, your spiritual self and find happiness in everyday life.

Let us all know how you are doing. We are all rooting for you.
reach

Closed Thread