It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
(female)

rmtshelley HB User
Questions about Heroin Relapse

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to understand and find out the truth right now. My brother is an addict. His DOC is Heroin. He's recently been in treatment and since he's been out he's had a few smaller relapses on alcohol, prescription pills and now Heroin. He claims he started using Xanex and then used Heroin once and was able to stop himself from using again.

My question is this: Is it even possible for someone to relapse on their Drug of Choice and then stop from using after once? Maybe it's a dumb question, but he has my parents convinced that he was able to kick it but I don't agree. He claims that you only have to go to detox after using 5 or 6 times because then Heroin has started to actually replace a chemical in your body.

Any help/opinions/facts would be wonderful.

A worried sister, RMTshelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
(female)

omc1234 HB User
Re: Questions about Heroin Relapse

All i can say is heroin will ruin his life. My nephew is sitting in jail right know because this drug has over taken him. Not much matters except using to him. He will lie, cheat, and steal. He has become a master at manipulation. As the story goes he has been in and out of treatment before and was clean and sober for a period of 8 months. I know he can be sober again but this has got to be a choice he makes himself. He has to be sick and tired of being sick and tired.

The following user gives a hug of support to omc1234:
Phoenix (10-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
(female)

xNicoleMarie HB User

Hi RMTShelley,
I am a recovering heroin addict with about a month of clean time. Let me tell you that yes, it is possible for your brother to stop using after relapsing once. My boyfriend of over four years always had a thing where he wanted to use "one last time". Of course, that once last time turned into multiple times, but I have been clean since September 13th and he has been clean since September 14th. Why the difference in the day? Because he wanted to use "one last time". And that was the end of it. If your brother is recently out of a rehabilitation facility then the rehab facility would have detoxed him from heroin and the other drugs he was on, which means his body was not "physically" addicted. So there is some truth to his answer. He may continue to use because addiction also has a mental component to it as well. I hope I helped. I wish the best of luck to you and your family.

The following user gives a hug of support to xNicoleMarie:
Phoenix (10-10-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to xNicoleMarie For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (10-13-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
(male)

scarecrow447 HB Userscarecrow447 HB Userscarecrow447 HB User

I agree with nicole marie and with what most of everything she said, but your brother was detoxed and then used one last time after treatment. Instead of using for a long period and then using the one more time act towards the end of his actual use. So i can understand your concern, if he chose to relapse then it would certainly take a lot of personal strength to just not use again after that. It isn't impossible but not very likely he only used once after relapsing if his attitude is don't worry instead of i need to talk to my sponsor or go to more meetings to avoid it happening again. 1 is to many and a thousand is never enough, or something like that haha. I do hope he did only use once and he is back on track for a clean lifestyle. But this needs to be taken seriously because it is his life and if he continues his use you and your family will either be talking to him from behind glass or beyond the grave. Hope this helps good luck

The following user gives a hug of support to scarecrow447:
Phoenix (10-21-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
(male)

dbrock HB Userdbrock HB User

From being an addict myself I can say that it is possible, but extremely difficult And would require tons of willpower. It really depends on his relapse, like how much he used, how frequently etc. Mixing the heroin and the Xanax is really really dangerous. If you suspect that he is high on dope, look at his pupils they would be really pinned (tiny) But be careful making any accusations because bright lights could do this or if he's like outside and it's sunny. Not too long ago I had a really good friend overdose and die from mixing opiates and benzo's in his case it was OxyContin and Xanax which is pretty Much the same thing. Your brother is really lucky to have a sister like you that cares.. Only thing I can really say right now is time will tell...

The following user gives a hug of support to dbrock:
Phoenix (10-21-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
detox, drugs, heroin, relapse