It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
(female)

Insomniagrl HB User
16 days clean can't sleep HELP

Well I'm 16 day clean from Heroin today And even tho I'm threw the real bad pArt of the withdrawals I still can't understand why I can't sleep!!! I smoked it for good 9 months everyday multiple times a day just to stay well but I new I couldn't do it anymore I was killing myself!!! But now 16 days later after quitting cold turkey and moving out of state. I can only get about 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night. I'm so tired I have no energy my legs at night Are still restless and arms and I really just want SLEEP and sleep a good nights sleep.

So I guess my question is has anyone else gone threw this before and if so how long did it take you to start getting back to normal and sleeping threw the Night??? I tried to look it up but couldn't find much online helping with my question!

Thank you to Anyone that's has answers!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Insomniagrl
Phoenix (10-06-2012), Wendy88 (10-09-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: 16 days clean can't sleep HELP

Hello insomniagirl,

Congratulations on beginning the next step in your life.
Though i've never tried heroin,I believe a universal statement of truth is what took months or even years to develop will not be cured overnight.

Things will have a way of working themselves out,given time.
If it really becomes bothersome and neither the hot cocoa or warm milk work,see if your doctor can prescribe you something.

I've heard that melatonin is also a good sleep aide but have never tried it.
Please keep posting as often as you like;your among people that truly care for each other's well-being.

Most Respectfully,
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

Hi Insomniagrl!
Congrats!! Ive done H and that's a wicked one. You are doing great.
Try melatonin. I started w/ 3 mg but doc said I can go as high as 12 mg. I don't find it to be an amazing thing for me, especially when I'm coming off pills, but it does work a bit.... And for some people, they swear by it. It does relax u. Don't expect it to knock u out. Well that's not my experience. But keep your mind open to it, as drugs affect people in different ways. My friend takes itvand is asleep in an hour. It is worth a try before going the script route.
If it doesn't work for you, give it a few days, then perhaps see your doctor. You are doing so well, you don't need the insomnia to derail you. And remember, as Phoenix said, it really does take time for your body and brain to recover.... it sucks and it's not like you deserve to torture yourself .... just know that it's normal.
Keep us posted!

Wendy

Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
(female)

xNicoleMarie HB User

Hello Insomniagirl!
First of all, congratulations on your clean time and success thus far. I myself have been clean for over a month from H and I am so happy for you. Now to answer your question, the insomnia will eventually pass. Melatonin really helped me so I would suggest that. The restless legs were the worst part for me and is what really kept me up at night. I would take hot baths with a lavender bath soak which was incredibly relaxing and calming. I know that it is incredibly frustrating when you're exhausted and just want to sleep. I have known other addicts (like my boyfriend of four years) who has always had problems sleeping and it became especially worse after he became clean. He also found relief by taking melatonin and taking hot showers. Hang in there girl. Your body needs a lot of time to recover. You are feeling everything that the drug has blocked out for the past weeks, months, or years. Stay strong and I hope I helped!

The following user gives a hug of support to xNicoleMarie:
Phoenix (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Benadryl works great! Try 3 of them. Should relax everything and put u to sleep. Congrats on your sobriety! And good luck!!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
(female)

scooby99 HB User

It will come back I promise. I had insomnia for weeks after coming off benzos. I thought my insomnia would never improve but the last week I've been getting 6-7 hours broken. This is a massive improvement as I was getting four hours one night and no sleep whatsoever the next. As they say the darkest hour appears before dawn and you body will recover.

Closed Thread