It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
(female)

xNicoleMarie HB User
My Addiction Story

This is probably going to be a very long post, so I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and replies. Support is greatly appreciated.

Well hello, I'm a twenty year old female who is currently a month clean from heroin addiction. I actually don't even remember when I became addicted. It all seems like such a blur looking back. I guess it all starts with my boyfriend. We have been together for four years and he is the most wonderful, loving man I have ever known. He has been a heroin addict on and off since he was seventeen. I stood by his side and supported him, watched him go in and out of numerous rehabilitation programs and went with him to N/A meetings. I never, ever, ever imagined that I would be in the same situation one day..
In June of this year, I celebrated my twentieth birthday. (Note: this is before I was an addict) My boyfriend had been clean for about 5 months at this time. We went out to a lovely, romantic dinner and then spent time with my family. Later that night, we were both so bored. I guess this is where it happened. He convinced me into getting some Oxys. He said that Oxys were different than heroin and if he only did it one night then he would be okay. I was very naive and easily influenced so I agreed. The next day, I had a horrible hangover so he decided to go out and get some more for us. I felt better. This is what my life ended up becoming for over four months. We stopped doing pills and started doing heroin because it was cheaper. Wake up, feel like crap, do some heroin, feel better, go to sleep. Repeat, with work and whatever else mixed in throughout my day. We isolated ourselves from our family and friends and became using buddies. I am in college working on my degree for Secondary Education of English. (I want to be a High School English teacher). I also work part-time as an Assistant Manager at a cosmetic store. He is only 9 credits away from his degree in Automotive technology and works fulltime as an auto-mechanic and makes fairly decent money for someone who is only twenty years old. 100% of our paychecks went to heroin. I drained my savings of over $900 and spent it all on heroin. I am in incredible debt to the banks. I had to take this semester off to focus on myself and getting clean.
Getting clean- thats another story. My boyfriend lives with me and pays rent to my mom every week. Supposedly, my family had known for weeks that my boyfriend and I were using together. My entire family staged an intervention. I thank them for saving both of our lives. I had not used the day of the intervention so I use that as my/our clean day of September 14th, 2012. My family tried to get me into a Rehab facility to help with detox but I was denied because I had not tried any other options before. Basically, my insurance company wanted me to try outpatient before I went inpatient. In other words, I had to relapse once before they would admit me for inpatient. They could not get me into inpatient for another few days. I was in withdrawal and it was truly unbearable. My boyfriend was already a patient at the exact same rehab facility, so they were able to start him on suboxone maintenance immediately. I was forced to look elsewhere. My mother bought me about 10 8mg suboxone from a friend of hers who also an ex-heroin addict. I split the suboxone into 4's (taking 2 mg a day) and this is what I have been doing since September 14th. I buy my suboxone off of her friend, and have been taking 2mg a day for about a month now.
My boyfriend was far worse than I and is prescribed 8mg suboxone daily. We have been sober together since September 14th and I could never be happier. He is working 50+ hours a week and staying busy. I am working anywhere between 20-35 hours a week and staying busy. The past month has been a rollercoaster of emotions but I am very proud of myself and of my boyfriend.

Well I guess thats about it. It just feels nice to tell some of my story. Please don't reply with any comments about my relationship or my suboxone maintenance. Breaking up with my boyfriend will never, ever be an option. My family has been extremely accepting, loving and supporting for the both of us. Thanks for listening

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: xNicoleMarie
Phoenix (10-11-2012), scarecrow447 (10-19-2012), Wendy88 (10-12-2012), Whynowthis (10-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to xNicoleMarie For This Useful Post:
Wendy88 (10-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
Re: My Addiction Story

Congratulations to you both! I'm glad you have a supportive and loving family. Keep up the good work.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User
Re: My Addiction Story

Hi Nicole!
I may write more later, but I had to write a little something to your post ( it's late where I am).
Congrats to u both! Keep going forward! You have souvh ahead of you, good things, the two of you ... and H is a one way ticket onto a downward spiral.
While u recover you may want to look into some back up support, therapy, NA, inpatient/ outpatient..... whatever, to give you more tools to help you.
I wish you and your man nothing but the best!
Stay strong and keep kicking butt! You both should be very proud!!! (but keep that guard up...)
Best!
Wendy

Closed Thread