HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Addiction & Recovery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/)
-   -   Started my taper yesterday... Have a question (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/923610-started-my-taper-yesterday-have-question.html)

Grantmetheseren 10-18-2012 10:29 AM

Started my taper yesterday... Have a question

Yesterday I started my taper again.... Went from 40 mg to 35. I know it's not a big deal but it took all I am to not take that last half. Will do that the next 3 days then stay on 30. One thing though is I have SO much anger. I feel very agitated and slightly nauseous.... Wondering if that is normal for such a small drop in dose. I also quit smoking. Figure I would be miserable all at once!

Wendy88 10-18-2012 01:08 PM

Re: Started my taper yesterday....Have a question

Hi GrantMe!
Yay! It's cool yet gonna try again! I'm proud of you.
Everyones body is different, but I'll bet those emotions are from the quitting of smoking, not the pills.
Now, later in your taper, you can totally feel all sorts of crappy things... depression, anxiety etc... But personally this early on, I think it's the smoking.
Don't let that derail you from quitting the pills, ok?

Also one you are down a pill or a pill and a half, you probably will have tummy issues, so make sure to get some immodium. And if your tummy fells upset, get some coke.
Actually, a VERY good old fashioned remedy for nausea is coke syrup (u can get it at a pharmacy... ask a pharmacist).., and pour a little over crushed ice. Then suck/ eat the ice. Dont drink it straight! It's too strong. That stuff works really well too.

Just dig in your heels and don't give up.
If you have any energy, exercise will help u get rid of some of that anger.

Post here if u need help. I'll try to check in more and see how you are.
Good luck!!!!
Wendy

reachout 10-18-2012 10:55 PM

Hi Grantme

Good words from Wendy. I agree with her totally.

A lot has been taken on trying to taper from Norco AND quitting smoking. The poor brain is probably so boggled from not getting the effects of two different substances it is used to getting. I wish you lots of strength and determination in your efforts. Sound off here whenever needed!!

Hugs
reach

PS Keep that taper very slow and steady. Never measure it in time, but rather in progress.

Grantmetheseren 10-19-2012 04:51 AM

Thank you both for feedback. I'm disappointed I did cave and have a cigarette last night. You're right it was a bit much. I was ready to rip someone's head off by 6 pm. Lol

Wendy88 10-21-2012 12:29 AM

It's OK. you took on a lot. If anything, I say stick with the pill taper no matter what, as that one is just so important to get under control. Man, do I know it!
If you think you can pick back up and quit both, totally go for it... But if u think you are putting your taper at risk, I say focus on your slow pill taper and take on the quitting smoking next.
I understand wanting to do it all at once, but don't overwhelm yourself to the point where you end up giving up both.
Keep on chugging with that pill taper! And Reach is SOOO right- it's not about time/ how long it takes... It's about progress.
And regardless of how you do it, soon you will kick cigs too.
You can do it!
Post and vent any time. Many of us havs been through this before and can help if you need it.
Wishing you the best!
Wendy

Wendy88 10-31-2012 03:01 AM

Re: Started my taper yesterday... Have a question

Hi GrantMe!
I haven't been on the board for maybe 10 days.,, but I thought I'd check in... see how you're doing. :)
Hope all is going ok!
:)
Wendy

ake50 10-31-2012 04:12 AM

[QUOTE=Grantmetheseren;5074556]Yesterday I started my taper again.... Went from 40 mg to 35. I know it's not a big deal but it took all I am to not take that last half. Will do that the next 3 days then stay on 30. One thing though is I have SO much anger. I feel very agitated and slightly nauseous.... Wondering if that is normal for such a small drop in dose. I also quit smoking. Figure I would be miserable all at once![/QUOTE]
Hi, I missed something. What med are you tapering??? Unfortunately I do know a lot on this subject but it would help if I knew what med it is. And ((((((((((((((good luck))))))))))) to you!! Whatever medication, what you are doing is brave and healthy and I wish you all the best.

Wendy88 11-30-2012 08:30 PM

Hi GrantMe!
I saw u responded to one of my posts checking in on you, but before I could get online and really check in, I cant seem to find the post anywhere.
I just wanted you to know I'm still here... I'm doing ok. Sometimes I have issues bit when I fall off, I dust myself off and get right back up on the horse. No matter where you are in your recovery... even if you are just starting o ER again, remember you can ALWAYS keep trying. You never have to throw in the towel and surrender, ok? It can take a long time til u can rid yourself of your meds, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible.
I've been really busy with stuff but I'll try to check in more and see if I can catch how you are doing! I know eventually you will start chipping away more and more or be able to really start at the process. It's NEVER to late!
Good vibes to you
W

Grantmetheseren 12-01-2012 06:50 AM

Wendy,
thank you for thinkinh of me! like you this has been a very hard battle! i have to try again or risk my health and family!!
How long did it take before you got clean?
you are such a nice person! Ty again!

QUOTE=Wendy88;5097398]Hi GrantMe!
I saw u responded to one of my posts checking in on you, but before I could get online and really check in, I cant seem to find the post anywhere.
I just wanted you to know I'm still here... I'm doing ok. Sometimes I have issues bit when I fall off, I dust myself off and get right back up on the horse. No matter where you are in your recovery... even if you are just starting o ER again, remember you can ALWAYS keep trying. You never have to throw in the towel and surrender, ok? It can take a long time til u can rid yourself of your meds, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible.
I've been really busy with stuff but I'll try to check in more and see if I can catch how you are doing! I know eventually you will start chipping away more and more or be able to really start at the process. It's NEVER to late!
Good vibes to you
W[/QUOTE]

Wendy88 12-02-2012 05:18 PM

Hi GrantMe!
Oh I am not clean. I'm sorry to say that. I'm a chronic pain patient who is addicted to my meds and misuses them BUT does also need them for actual pain. So when I give advice, I mean it like-for me I'm trying to control my intake. ONLY take as prescribed.sometimes I fall off the wagon I've constructed for myself... and I know what Im doing is controversial to some, but for me it's how I need to try. I've had several successful months of following my script and a few where I don't. But I know I can try again.
I had 19 days of total sobriety that got mr out of a serious depression. So I know that the power is there. But some weeks my migraines are too bad for full abstinence.

Anyway- you seem like a lovely person too. Just take things one step at a time and don't give up. You can do it! No matter how slowly u have to go. It's not a race to the finish.
Even if u are having a hard time, try to come here and read or post. It really will help you!
I'm rooting for you!!
W

Grantmetheseren 12-02-2012 06:13 PM

Hi Wendy,
Like you I have a pain condition. Although I am addicted physically and mentally to my meds, I think I would feel a lot better if I was not taking more than my script was for. It gives me anxiety and depression that I've upped my dose so quickly and currently take the max dose by midday in order to not get wd's. at this moment I'm at 40mg of hydro a day... My dr writes me a script for less and ive taken more than 40 at times.... I think the problem is just that some ppl have an addictive personality, as I have friends who were on pain meds for years then got surgery and never took a pill again and had no desire.

ake50 12-03-2012 06:29 AM

Wendy
I applaud you for being honest.
I'm a chronic pain patient also, and used to take a lot of pills and yes, did abuse them a bit. Not much as narcs are so closely watched now, but I admit I did take extras. Very happy with the solution (had developed tolerances to everything-). Had a pain pump implanted about, well, about 2 years ago.(another missing time chunk). It delivers a tiny dose of dilaudid directly into the spine and has been a godsend. Recently the pain is worse and I honestly dont know if its "real" or because all senses are so acute in post-withdrawal. Hesitant to get dose increased, fear of getting back on the merry-go-round, you know?
If anyone wants more info on this kind of device, just write me.

Wendy88 12-07-2012 02:29 AM

Hi GrantMe- yeah we seem to be a lot alike.
It's hard to be in this position.
Do u think you will give cutting back another go? I've been off pills for a week. My pill bottle opened and I lost my pills for the week so it's been a tough time. But the energy, the clarity that comes back is great. If I had another medical option, id explore it. But I'm not allowed normal migraine meds.
I was given hydros a month ago to fight my very extreme headaches and I found they didn't work. Given, they were the lowest dose, but im sure it's due to my general overall tolerance. And that's unfortunate cause I just back myself into a wall when I am really sick and nothing helps.
But anyway, I continuously fight to control my intake. It is possible. :)
Be well!
W

Wendy88 12-07-2012 02:34 AM

Hi Ake-
Thanks so much. I try.
How long have u been off the pills and on the pump? It prob will take time for your body to fully adjust so u may experience extra pain while your brain normalizes.
If you are afraid to up the dose, listen to that instinct and hold out as long as u can to give your brain time to heal. You'll know if u get to a true point where u really cant take the pain anymore.
Good vibes to u!
W

ake50 12-07-2012 09:27 AM

Hi Wendy
I have been off Klonapin 4 monthes and 1 week as of today. No Ambien since about Sept 1. And no Zoloft or nefazadone since about the end of September. I still have the pain pump. I am not totally insane! The chronic pain was real and definitly warrented pain management. I get a very tiny dose of hydromorphone (Dilaudid) thru it. Thats whats neat, the teensy dose, directly into the spine. Unlikely to become addicted, and tolerance very slow to build, its been almost 2 years since I got it and have never had the dose changed to a higher one!
I made a boo-boo. My doc ordered Zoloft, 50 mgs a day. I really didnt think it was a good idea but was pretty deperate for relief (Pill = feel better) so I took it and that night had the absolute Mother of panic attack. OMG! That will be the last anti-depressantt I take....at least for now!