It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

Fusyfuse1204 HB User
Need advice ASAP re: CT off Fentanyl & Norco PLS!!

Hello everyone! After reading posts for weeks I finally have the guts to do one myself. (Strange how we resist admitting our problems even to strangers huh?)
Anyway, I seriously need advice from anyone who has gone through this. Beginning tomorrow I AM going to go ccccccold turkey off a 75mg Fentanyl patch and 10mg Norcos. (Don't even ask how many I take per day...it's pathetic.) I've read over and over about how it's better to taper, but guess what...I can't. The monkey on my back will not let me. I've had 3 back fusions, a neck fusion, and currently have 7 torn rotator cuffs in my shoulder, but I'm doing this anyway. Why? Well I'll tell you:
#1) I cannot even gauge how much pain I'm actually in - it's time to reassess.
#2) I'm addicted (physically, mentally, emotionally...and any other "ally's" you can think of...)
#3) One is one too many and one more is never enough. (source: Kenny Chesney song....)
#4) Btwn health insurance, dr. co-pays and meds, I could be driving an Audi...
#5) I haven't followed the directions on my meds very well...
#6) I've lost myself and miss ME.

Anyway, I called my PM doc & spoke to his nurse earlier & told her my plan. I now go to see him today in just 3 hours and was wondering from you all WHAT all I should ask him for (med wise) to help me with the upcoming nightmare? I called my employer and took a 2 weeks off work beginning today. Luckily I had time saved up. SO, I'm ready. And I'm terrified. The nurse advised me to taper, but I told her if I have narcotics in my house I WILL trick myself and take them. So please understand, I am not not not able to taper - even if my hub locks em up, I will get all dramatic and throw a huge fit until I "win". (Tried this before.) I was totally honest w/ him this week and told him my plan, and I have his support. I told him no matter what I say, do, etc, to know it's not me, but my demon speaking if it's trying to get opiates. SO: everything is in place...and despite the horror stories I've read on about going CT, I'm still gonna do it. I want to get to the place in life where a 5mg Vicodin actually works...right now it's a joke. It takes 3-4x that. I feel like a sad piece of work and I am ashamed and nearly hate myself at times. Yes the docs prescribed addictive drugs to me, but this is still my fault. I am going to go to my first NA meeting tonight and ask for a sponsor as tmrw is Day 1. So if there is anyone out there who has been through THIS, will ya give a sister some support? If, so...when I get thru this, I will be doing the same for others. Thank you all so very much. Cris

Last edited by Fusyfuse1204; 10-23-2012 at 08:39 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Fusyfuse1204
Phoenix (10-24-2012), red65 (10-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Star Too HB User
Re: Need advice ASAP re: CT off Fentanyl & Norco PLS!!

Hi Cris, Your story sounds almost exactly like mine. I was on 75mcg Fentanyl, Lortab 10s, as well as up to 10 Ambien 10s a day. I lost me too. I was just a shell and could not quit even though I tried and tried. I was terrified of withdrawal. I had quit OxyContin and Fiorinal before and it was horrible. I did outpatient treatment. Even then I still craved. 6 miserable months later I started back with Lortab, which led to Fentanyl. I was hooked again. My husband has pancreatitis and I stole his medicine as well as any other I could get my hands on. I would never do that concerning anything but drugs. I finally realized I was helpless. I was tired of lying, stealing, and trying to hide my addiction. I hated myself. I decided I had to have help and I opened up my life to my immediate family and my Dr. I knew outpatient wouldn't work for me so I found a good facility not too far from my home and checked in. I went cold turkey and was absolutely sick and crazy for about 5 days, but the compassionate staff helped me through it. On day 6 the fog began to clear and every day it got better. There were classes and activities all day and I learned so much about myself and my addiction. There was no time to feel miserable and I met so many great people, some I am still close with. Tapering or outpatient just didn't work for me. I am so thankful I went to treatment. It saved my life! A good facility will work with you on cost, if you have insurance it will probably pay. It's been 2 years for me. I learned the tools to deal with cravings and triggers and I have my life back. I found me again. However you choose to quit, I pray it works for you. Surround yourself with people who love and understand you. Stay busy and active and lean on your higher power. I'll be praying for you. You can do it!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Star Too For This Useful Post:
red65 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
(female)

Fusyfuse1204 HB User

Awww! Thank you so much!! I just knew there had to be SOMEBODY out there who understands and has hopefully gone through it. Yeah, I also know what you mean about Ambiens... I just left my dr and he Rx'd me Clonidine for BP and Clonazepan for the anxiety. Both are only 1 weeks worth. He said he appreciated me being so upfront and honest, as I told him if I can't be honest w/ him, I can't be honest w/ myself. And of course he gave me an "out" if I just can't handle it; said he'd prescribe me lower doses of all meds, but I said I'm afraid that would make me backslide. This is THE scariest thing I've ever EVER done and tomorrow is "D-Day", so any advice on how to handle the WD's would be great. The doc said sometimes the fear outweighs the reality, so we'll see. I have a feeling the psychological will be worse than the physical; although I will HATE the physical I'm sure. I can't go to a rehab as that is covered under sub. abuse, and all I have is medical coverage. He did suggest a taper, but I advised I can't do that - the temptation is too strong. SO...oh Lord, here we go. I only have my 18y/o daughter and husband to help me, and they are both gone all day, but maybe that's best. I can crawl the walls all alone. You were really lucky to get to go to rehab. It sux that I can't, so do you think I should just go to an NA meeting and find a sponsor instead? Thanks so much for you kindness & understanding; it's very much appreciated. And I'm so happy you made it thru to the other side & that it really will be worth it!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Fusyfuse1204:
Phoenix (10-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
(female)

wendy1111 HB User

So I have been through my fair share of withdrawals from Percocet! The restlessness, aches, sleeplessness, vomiting etc!! It is pure pure hell. As many of you know when you are withdrawing you will do anything to make it go away!! So I have done tons and tons of research on this and have found a miracle that has worked for me! Last week as I was about to withdraw again I was searching the internet and found this miracle!! You can google this if you want to and read up on it also. Loperamide which is anti-diarrheal medication that I always take during this period because as we all know well it's part of withdrawing! Anyway Loperamide is an opiate but does not cross through the blood /brain barrier meaning you don't get the high feeling from it. I have tried this and it WORKS!!!! The regular dosage is no more than four 2mg pills in 24 hours BUT I had to increase my dosage to get it to work. I have NO withdrawal symptoms at all...no RLS, no anxiety, I slept the whole night, no nothing!! This by no way means that it will cure the mental part of addiction BUT it is a way to manage the withdrawals for a few days to make it a little less brutal. I would recommed doing this for three to five days and the worst should be over. Please read up on it, it worked for me!!

The following user gives a hug of support to wendy1111:
Phoenix (10-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
(female)

Fusyfuse1204 HB User

Wow thanks! Is this something that has to be prescribed by a doctor though? I saw mine today and he gave me Clonidine and Clomazepan sp?) And, told me he was proud of me and thought that while going cold turkey is the most uncomfortable short term, it has the highest success rate. Lord I hope so...as tmrw is Day 2. Already feeling not so groovy....so here...we...go. I appreciate you taking the time to comment - take care!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
(female)

wendy1111 HB User

Its an over the counter med..any anti - diahrea med...like immodium. I to was perscribed clondine it lowers your blood preasure which should help the restlessness etc but didn't help me I was still very restless, and sick. Like I said I have tried everything on earth and this is the ONLY thing that has taken everything away and I could sleep. And on the plus side it lasted a whole 24 hours! I had energy to do things, able to eat, and like I said SLEEP which if you have been through this before you know how the long nights are! I have read so much information on this and I'm sure some people will be against it...BUT all I can say is it works. This is not something you would want to do on a weekly basis obviously but for a week or so no problem!. Everybody is different and some have ok withdrawals and some horrible which i'm on the horrible end. Lop was accually a scheduled opiod but was taken off the market. Like I said in my previous post it doesn't cross the Blood/brain barrier so it doesn't give you that opiod feeling. Good luck and if you ever need help message me!! Best of Luck to you!!

Wendy

The following user gives a hug of support to wendy1111:
Phoenix (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Star Too HB User

Hi Cris, Hope you are doing well this morning. I know cold turkey is hard but you will be glad you did it that way when it's over. You'll be past the sickness and can move on to healing your body and brain. I'm happy your doc prescribed Clonidine. It will help with you blood pressure and relieve some symptoms. Also, you might talk to him about Trazadone. It is an old antidepressant that, in a low dosage, can help with sleep. I didn't have it in rehab but a lot of people did and they had a much easier time. I started it right after rehab because my sleep was messed up for a long time. Just go minute by minute if you have to. It will be so worth it when it's over!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
(female)

Fusyfuse1204 HB User

Okay, got the Immodium. Now, should I go ahead and start taking it before the ummm, runs (for lack of a better word) begin? Would that help? Oh and my name is Cris by the way. And let me tell ya, today SUCKS. I cannot believe on Day 1, w/o this poison even all outta my system I feel creepy crawly. I have already heard the demon in my head saying "why torture yourself girlfriend - you don't need to live this way." But I am a strong, but lately lazy Christian (as pills and patches have been my God), so I must summon up all the faith I have right now and hope, no, KNOW that when I make it to the other side perhaps there will be a few blessings in my life. Has that happened to any of you? When you got totally clean, life, finances, relationships, self-esteem etc go better? And what about that pain? I have a scar halfway down my back from 3 fusions and the level above it is screwed up, but I want to detox so that if I have to have another surgery I won't need "more pain meds than they've even given" (according to the nurses...) So, how can I thank all of you for your support except to get thru this and pay it forward. Big Texas hugs to all of you kind folks! Cris

Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Star Too HB User

You will be so happy when you are through this! Everything gets better! Mostly because you will love yourself again! It takes time to rebuild relationships again but you will be able to devote yourself to those. Your faith will help you through this all. As to pain-you will probably still have pain since you had it before. I found it wasn't any worse because I was so opiate tolerant that the patch and pills weren't helping me anyway. I've had two knee surgeries since I got clean and my husband held my medication for me I found I didn't need much of it. But right now just concentrate on getting better every day! -Star

Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
(female)

wendy1111 HB User

Hi Cris! So I will explain what I did and then you can take it from there. I was on about 12 10 mg Percocets a day so it was a very high dose! When I tried to cut back my head just kept telling me NOPE your not doing this just take one more so in my head I would makes excuses like well I will just make up for those tomorrow..WRONG! Anyway I tried everything on earth from Clondine, Valium, Zanax etc and to me it just made it worse. I can't handle to restlessness and no sleep for days I just can't do it. So this is what I did...I bought some Immodium and took 10 2mg pills and within an hour everything was gone!! I had no withdrawals at all!! NOTHING!! I had energy, I slept, no creepy crawlies..etc..NOTHING!! That lasted me 24 hours and I still went to the bathroom! I was very very nervous to take that many because I didn't want to plug myself up. I thought well I will try it and see hat happens and if it didn't help then ok, but it did work! So the next day I dosed down to 8 and then 5 and then 3 and I'm done! Like I said this is a remedy to get you past the worst days. I'm so thankfull that I found this because everytime I would try to fight my way through I ended up to weak and was like hell with this and took my pills. I'm feel so much better and to be honest I don't have the craving at all. Its been a week and 2 days and I feel good!

Closed Thread