It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

mandygb HB User
Ambien Help

I need major help. I'm addicted to Ambien. I'm not sure how many years I've been taking it. I know I've taken it at least 7 years. I can't go to sleep without it. I take about 30 mg a night just to fall asleep and only sleep a few hours. I go through my prescription within 2 week and find myself searching for ways to get more. This is NOT like me. I've never been addicted to anything before. I'm scared. I've even been considering buying more online. I want to stop now, but I'm scared of the terrible anxiey and insomnia when I stop. Someone please give me words of encouragement!

The following user gives a hug of support to mandygb:
Phoenix (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Ambien Help

Hello mandygb,

I was also taking ambien for some time but switched(with doctor's instruction) to lunesta 3mg tablets. I also take clonazepam(up to 1mg under doctor's orders) at night.

If it's not working for you,then let your prescribing doctor know, before things get further out of hand.

I've seen addiction and have been both in the storm and the deceiving eye(the false sense of security).

Please don't purchase any controlled substance online,for you don't know what you might receive.

There is a saying that the worse addict is a lifeless one,for the hope has gone from both their body and soul.
You still have hope and a sound enough mind and body....try and use it to your advantage.

If you are stuck,that's normal and if you need to post many times,in order to alleviate that which plagues you,then by all means do so and expeditiously;please.

I respect that the choice is yours to make but i'm not going to give up on you and neither should you.

The only true way to save each other is one person at a time.............i'm extending my hand to you.....are you willing to reach out and clench mines?

Don't answer just yet but please take a moment to ponder the concept........

It may just save your life;a life worth saving.

Respectfully stated,
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 10-25-2012 at 11:00 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Phoenix:
mandygb (10-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
mandygb (10-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
(female)

mandygb HB User

Thank you so much for responding! I don't want to take anymore presctiption sleep aids. I did purchase some OTC melatonin and it's helped a little. I also think posting and knowing I'm not alone is helping. You'll never know just how much your reply helped. 3rd night with no Ambien...

The following user gives a hug of support to mandygb:
flintrock (12-04-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

You're welcome mandygb

Good for you;going the melatonin route.

Realize that there is always more than one way to solve a problem and it will take you further than you may think.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
(female)

ake50 HB Userake50 HB Userake50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandygb View Post
I need major help. I'm addicted to Ambien. I'm not sure how many years I've been taking it. I know I've taken it at least 7 years. I can't go to sleep without it. I take about 30 mg a night just to fall asleep and only sleep a few hours. I go through my prescription within 2 week and find myself searching for ways to get more. This is NOT like me. I've never been addicted to anything before. I'm scared. I've even been considering buying more online. I want to stop now, but I'm scared of the terrible anxiey and insomnia when I stop. Someone please give me words of encouragement!
Hello- This is the first time I have been on Health Boards, and your post really struck home. I, too, was (am,)"addicted" to Ambien- for about 12 years - and stopped them about one and a half monthes ago. I also stopped taking Klonapin on July 30 this year (2012). What a disaster. The first week I hallucinated, had all kinds of physical symptoms, sensory weirdness. I am a disabled RN and did know benzodiazipine withdrawel is bad but NEVER once was I told it was THIS bad!! And Ambien is a very similar type drug. You become physically dependant on it. I dont like using the word addiction, it implies something negative about us and most of us were legally prescribed these meds. Look: First: DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ONLINE!!! Not only will you probably get ripped off, adding more Ambien will just delay the inevitable...getting OFF Ambien. I do not recommend getting off abruptly as I did. It must be tapered, and your doctor should know this and help you. I say this a bit tentatively as none of my doctors seemed to know this and Im currently disallusioned with doctors in general. But yours may be different, so please consult him/her. Feel free to write back, I would like to hear what happens.
PS: Please note: It has been 3 monthes since stopping Klonapin and 1.5 monthes since stopping Ambien and I STILL am having a lot of mainly physical withdrawel symptoms.....insomnia, maddeningly itchy skin, muscle cramps, weakness, numbness and tingling hands, etc etc. I ALSO stopped using 2 anti-depressants but I did this very, very gradually.

The Following User Says Thank You to ake50 For This Useful Post:
mandygb (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
(female)

mandygb HB User

I hate writing that I'm addicted, but I am. I'm scared to tell my doctor or my family. They have no idea! My husband of 18 years has no clue. This is my 4th night with no Ambien. My eyes have been twitching and my back hurts really bad. Other than that and insomnia , I don't think I have any other physical symptoms. It's very encouraging to hear that someone else has beat this drug. I don't know if I'm strong enough to do this. It's like I reward myself by taking a pill at night and just disappearing until morning. Am I really hurting myself or anyone else?????? I guess I am if I'm searching for ways to get more...Thanks for advice. It's helping with my weak moments. To be completely honest, if I could get my hands on an Ambien right now, I'd take it. How sick is that?

Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
(female)

Unhappy Re: Ambien Help

Good morning! Still having really poor sleep and gave up at 4 am. My cats assumed that meant breakfast and even if Id really tried, they wouldnt let me go back to sleep. How is the melatonin working for you? I tried it and it did nothing. I think my brain is just messed up from so many years of being bathed in chemicals.
Does anyone know of an online support group for withdrawal from prescription meds that is active ??????? I have searched and searched and not sure why I keep coming up empty. I wish this group were more active, as you all sound so nice and supportive. ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.
As of today, it is officially 3 monthes since my last Klonapin (clonazepam).If anyone out there thinks they should try this med, please do not without doing research. The withdrawal from this med is incredibly bad and can be life threatening. You can even have withdrawal symptoms while you are taking it!!!! (result of physical dependance). Oh it helps, for a while but you will have to get off it eventually, if your doctor has a brain, and then you will pay...........
Ambien: withdrawal isnt that dangerous for most but it is really unpleasant and difficult.
I never, ever wanted to become this knowledgable about prescription med detox.Only reason I am learning so much is my DEEP need for reassurance that what I'm going through is "normal" for withdrawal. In the very beginning, I asked every MD I could. To my utter horror, not ONE seemed to know there even IS a withdrawal!! This included a psychiatrist. Nor did any of them know that clonazepam should never be abruptly stopped. OK. I'll share something I am still deeply hurt about, and a little embarassed to admit. When I first asked about stopping the Klonapin, I was forced by my primary care MD to voluntarily check into a local psychiatric hospital which (supposedly) had an 8 day detox program. I have been an RN for 30 years - and (oh dear) had actually worked there for several years. The place hadnt changed at all and worse, I KNEW a lot of the staff. Thats why I am embarrassed. And I rapidly found out that their detox program was really poor. Three days of a tiny dose of Ativan and a med for the high blood pressure. My BP was more than 140/90 and for me, that is VERY high but the nurses didnt get it and I only got the BP med maybe three times. Not ONE staff members, including a shrink and a medical doc, asked me about my symptoms. And I deteriorated rapidly, having hallucinations of all sorts and miserable physical symptoms. Deep inside, I knew I had to fake it to survive and get the heck out of this place. For once my HMO insurance inadvertantly helped. they told the facility they would not pay for my stay and I was booted out within 24 hours. I knew that if staff knew how bad off I was, they could use legal means to force me to go to the other mental health facility in this area and I knew that place would be no better. So: I came home and have been here ever since. Searching for a support group, not finding one, and reading everything I could about this process.
WOW!!! I truly did not mean to pour out my heart like this, and hope I havent bored y'all. If anyone out there can relate, PLEASE reply back. It would mean so much to me. I have tried to be brave and strong, but I am tired and get discouraged.
Thank you so much.

The following user gives a hug of support to ake50:
mandygb (10-31-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ake50 For This Useful Post:
mandygb (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
(female)

mandygb HB User

You ARE NOT ALONE!!! Know that I'm struggling along with you as are many others. And to think that the drugs are supplied by a doctor is even worse. You are not crazy. You sound intelligent and kind. Try and take your power back. Ask God to give you strength to overcome this battle one day at a time. I'm telling myself that a little pill should not ruin my life.

The Following User Says Thank You to mandygb For This Useful Post:
ake50 (11-02-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
(female)

elizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB User

A couple of years ago, I was having major trouble staying asleep. My night was 10p.m. to midnight or 1a.m., up for 3 or 4 hours, then I'd get sleepy again, just as I needed to see the kids off for school. Ambien helped a little, but not much.

Maybe a year ago? Someone recommended taking melatonin and it really does help. It made me sleep 2 or 3 hours more at a time. I only need to take in once or twice a week, but my nights are now 10 or 11pm to 5 or 6a.m., which is great for me.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
(female)

hank you for the good advice- which I already have been doing for a looong time now. God has been good to me, and I am sure there will be an answer to my prayers, in time. But truthfully, today I am discouraged, and fioghting depression. The all-over itching is driving me nuts, and extremely poor sleep - and many other symptoms- Well, I am weary of this and yes, sometimes I question my sanity. Just writing this, I have started crying. I really havent done this much since this started and I am worried. I have had depression (real, not pill induced!) in my past and I do not want to return there. The Black Hole....I have been hoping that off all these meds, I might find I really am NOT depressed now, years later.
Oh. I know. Sleep deprivation and physical misery will make anyone depressed, and its probably temporary. See, my mind knows this, but my heart is arguing. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about psych stuff, medical stuff. But NO WHERE, NO-ONE ever taught me about this....and I had to search pretty hard to find any info on it at all. Gee, if it werent for the internet, I would probably have freaked and run to an MD or psychiatrist and then.........I'd probably have spent alooong time on a psych unit! Oh NO!
Thank you so much for being there, listening. This is becoming a real bright spot for me. I pray sosmeday soon I will be on the "recpvered" side and more able to help someone else. Many hugs to you.

The following user gives a hug of support to ake50:
mandygb (11-03-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
(female)

Mandy. I feel selfish. I hadnt really read your post. You are going through this now yourself! Please forgive me.
I too am "addicted" to pills. Heres how it goes for me: Currently I am not taking any prescription meds except my vitamin B12 shots. But I realized that I WAS grabbing a couple of ibuprofens every time I felt worse. And even paid $12 for a bottle of some herbal junk that was supposedly gonna help me sleep (I KNEW better!!!) I have used pills for so long (thats another long story!) that my mind just automatically jumps to a pill whenever I feel bad in any way. I DO know better!!!
I'm sure you have tried this, but deep breathing (abdominal breathing) has helped me, especially with the frequent anxiety attacks. I also have cut back caffeine. I probably should also cut back sugar but....another problem is that over the past several years, all drugged up, my weight has dropped to dangerously low. (5'4 and 94 lbs). Which is weird as heck for me. I used to be morbidly obese - 292 lbs- and had a gastric bypass in 2003. Gee, I dont mess around, do I? Seem to always go to extremes! SO: despite being in withdrawel hell, I have been trying to eat more, and sugary stuff appeals. Ive only gained 2 lbs, I think (my scale isnt reliable.). But this is something I must keep working on - truly its life or death.
Oh- one other revelation: I stopped taking all the ibuprofen (Advil) because on the internet I found some info that NSAIDS actually may make withdrawel from Klonapin WORSE. Good grief!!!!!!!

Closed Thread