It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
(male)

normallife HB User
Oxycodone addiction help!

My wife was admitted recently into a addiction detox center for 4 days after a major breakdown of admitting to me that she had been taking prescription pills off and on for the last 2 years, and in more dosages the last 8 months. She had all the symptoms of what I read online of an Oxycodone addiction.

She is now out for 3 days, and I am lost on what the next steps are as she still feels like helpless and wants to give up and still has a lot of stress. How long does it take after detox to get to normal life? Do I need to go find a psychiatrist Dr? Please help as we had what I thought was a perfect family (with kids) until this problem.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-13-2012 at 06:18 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to normallife:
Phoenix (11-15-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
(female)

Mommy539 HB User
Re: Oxycodone addiction help!

I am not an addict myself however, my mother is therefore I can totally relate to what you're dealing with. I have watched her ruin her life and every relationship she's ever had because of this addiction. She has lost everything including her children. It's so sad to watch and try to help but you can't help anyone who doesn't want to be helped. I am sorry I don't have the answers for you but I wish you all the best of luck. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
(female)

statikkat17 HB User

i definitely recommend getting in touch with a psychiatrist. Addictions take a long time and lots of commitment to overcome, and if your wife really wants to get better she will need your help and support.
it will probably take a while for her body to physically get back to normal since she is going through withdraw right now. When i quite using prescription drugs i would get the shakes really badly and i would feel like i was dying, and this went on for a couple weeks after i stopped using (and i had only taken them for a few weeks). for a couple months afterwards i still would get the bad shakes and convulsions whenever i was really stressed out or something triggered the emotion i was trying to comfort with the drugs. so people yelling in my house would set me off and i would start shaking.
Your wife will probably go through similar things. Try looking up withdraw symptoms of prescription med addictions so that you can know what to expect and you can help your wife when she does have them.
best of luck!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello normallife and welcome.

That which took time to create,will also take time to dismantle,if you will.
There are both the physical and psychological aspects to consider here.
Your continued commitment to ensuring that the immediate family circle stays in tact is admirable.

There are in and out-patient settings to consider.
The group setting seems to do wonders,as no person is an island.

The question I pose to you is whether or not she is willing to go into a program, or attend Alcoholic or Narcotics Anonymous groups.Some meetings are even available online.

She will need to be committed to the cause,in order for it to truly benefit her(which I truly hope is the case). Sacrifices will need to be made.A change of lifestyle is to be expected, as it is imperative for her to stay away from people,places and things that she can associate with the particular substance.

She may have underlying unresolved issues,which would be ideal for her to work through, with a therapist's help.

The fact that she admitted her situation speaks volumes.

Please feel free to post as often as you like and know that we are here for advice,opinions and/or advice, in a non-judgemental setting.

Respectfully stated
Phoenix

Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
(female)

Arianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB User

Hi normalife, I had a doctor prescribed addiction to oxycodone and after 15 months was taken off of it cold turkey. It has now been 4 months and 20 days and I can finally say I feel normal again. It is different for everyone, and after the initial acute symptoms your wife might feel the post acute withdrawal symptoms. (PAWS) These include depression, lethargy, sensitivity to pain etc. They are quite bothersome but with each day the windows of feeling normal begin to increase more and more. I also see a therapist, who helped me sort out all these feelings. With your support (which is very important), your wife will come out the other side.

You also should read about PAWS, so you can encourage her. It helped me so much when my husband would come home from work and tell me it would get better, even though I felt my world had ended. I honestly believed I would never be normal again, but here I am....

The following user gives a hug of support to Arianna2:
shwankin33 (11-29-2012)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arianna2 For This Useful Post:
CaliGirl (11-22-2012), nicole88ac (01-22-2013), yrsofpainsucks (11-15-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
(male)

activeDraxx HB User

When the addiction is at that level, you can only help if the addict wants the help. If she does, you must submit her into rehab, or help her to self-rehab by taking her mind off it. If it's a physical addiction where shes severely withdrawing, further action is a must. It's scary stuff, as i am only a week clean off percocet and still feeling its urges. You just have to WANT to stop. Try methadone, its a long lasting painkiller with a long half-life. It will 100 percent cure withdrawing from the oxy, and will take her mind off it. Hopefully by the time she comes off the methadone she will no longer be addicted to the oxy

I wish you and your family the best of luck, god bless.

Last edited by activeDraxx; 12-05-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
detox, oxycodone, oxycodone addiction, withdrawals