It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Addiction & Recovery Message Board


Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
meblonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26
meblonde HB User
Thumbs up I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

I have been drinking for many many years, I have decided it is just time to stop, I have stopped for a year before and usually stop a month here and there but I really am just sick of thinking about it and feel it is time to give it up all together. If there is anyone out there that would like to buddy up with me or if you have been though it and can help, I sure would like your advice and support.. thank you..

 
The following user gives a hug of support to meblonde:
Phoenix (11-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: usa
Posts: 451
mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

Meblond...I have wanted to quit too...(for way too long) tired of being dependant. It seems I always make excuses...I'll quit after this or that...whether it be..after the kids are back in school, or after the election, or after an upcoming stressful event. I need to learn too deal with life. Anyway we can only committ to quit when we are ready. Hang tough...I will check back in with ya.
__________________

 
The following user gives a hug of support to mommaoftwinsplus1:
Phoenix (11-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 55
berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

The best and most effective approach is joining AA. I've known many who did this with great success. Since you have stopped in the past for a period of time you shouldn't have a problem. Good Luck.

 
Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
meblonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26
meblonde HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaoftwinsplus1 View Post
Meblond...I have wanted to quit too...(for way too long) tired of being dependant. It seems I always make excuses...I'll quit after this or that...whether it be..after the kids are back in school, or after the election, or after an upcoming stressful event. I need to learn too deal with life. Anyway we can only committ to quit when we are ready. Hang tough...I will check back in with ya.
Me to there is always another reason to "stop after" and then 2 years later those date are there again to "stop after".. I think I would like to get to those dates and say last year at this time I was not drinking. It's just getting to that point to totally stop.. when I do stop for a period of time, when I drank again it's for to long.
Thanks for the reply!

 
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,861
Blog Entries: 33
Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

Welcome melblonde,

Both berkeley3525 and mommaoftwinsplus1 make good points.
There comes a time to ask yourself if you're truly committed to the cause.
Those who forget the past will be doomed to repeat it.
Please keep in mind that actions will be imperative.Words are not enough at times.
I've seen where you admit drinking but not stating directly that it has become a problem that you seriously want to eradicate in your life.

I want to see that passion that I know you have within.It will further bring out the courage to admit defeat and to stop fighting a battle that was never designed for you to win.
The battle you will then be fighting for is your quality of life.
Please remember that temptation takes no vacation and narcotic's cousin, alcohol,will always be around to try and tempt you.
Distancing yourself from the people,places and things that you associate with drinking helps also.

Keep posting;you can get from A to B...............
One step at a time.

Respectfully
Phoenix
__________________
When in doubt, post it out.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
meblonde (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
meblonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26
meblonde HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Welcome melblonde,

Both berkeley3525 and mommaoftwinsplus1 make good points.
There comes a time to ask yourself if you're truly committed to the cause.
Those who forget the past will be doomed to repeat it.
Please keep in mind that actions will be imperative.Words are not enough at times.
I've seen where you admit drinking but not stating directly that it has become a problem that you seriously want to eradicate in your life.

I want to see that passion that I know you have within.It will further bring out the courage to admit defeat and to stop fighting a battle that was never designed for you to win.
The battle you will then be fighting for is your quality of life.
Please remember that temptation takes no vacation and narcotic's cousin, alcohol,will always be around to try and tempt you.
Distancing yourself from the people,places and things that you associate with drinking helps also.

Keep posting;you can get from A to B...............
One step at a time.

Respectfully
Phoenix
Thanks you. I have not drank for two days. I guess that is a start. I have stopped in the pass hopefully this is for good. I sure want it to be. I really do like the clear head and the way I feel when I am sober. And the peace I feel, sleeping is real nice! I just have to hang in there and keep going..

 
The following user gives a hug of support to meblonde:
Phoenix (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,861
Blog Entries: 33
Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meblonde View Post
Thanks you. I have not drank for two days. I guess that is a start. I have stopped in the pass hopefully this is for good. I sure want it to be. I really do like the clear head and the way I feel when I am sober. And the peace I feel, sleeping is real nice! I just have to hang in there and keep going..
You're welcome.

I think I understand what you're saying by:"hopefully this is for good. I sure want it to be."

When dealing with the insidious nature of either drugs or alcohol,one must not enter into getting either clean and/or sober(unless i'm misreading your intentions) with uncertainty.

Please remember the past but don't dwell on it and know that if you need additional advice,opinions and/or support,you've come to the right place.

Respectfully
Phoenix
__________________
When in doubt, post it out.

 
Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida, United States
Posts: 15
ake50 HB Userake50 HB Userake50 HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

Its good you are going to try again. Never give up. It seems to be true, if you dont first succeed, try, try again. I drank for about 30 years, plus abused pills. Finally at age 57 I stopped drinking. For some reason it was pretty easy, probably because the pills had me quite doped up. But a part of me still wishes a beer bottle in hand, you know? Dont know how old you are, and actually it doesnt matter, does it? Get off it now, be healthier and happier at any age. Best of luck! Feel free to write me. Ive been around the block in a big way and know how it can be.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to ake50:
Phoenix (12-02-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ake50 For This Useful Post:
meblonde (12-06-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida, United States
Posts: 15
ake50 HB Userake50 HB Userake50 HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

I drank for many years (along with pills...oh my). I honestly do not understand yet but I stopped and it wasnt that hard. And I rarely ever get cravings for it. Grateful for that. I wish you both the best of luck and am sending hugs.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to ake50 For This Useful Post:
meblonde (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
meblonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26
meblonde HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

ake, thank you for the support...

Last edited by moderator2; 12-06-2012 at 06:18 PM.

 
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
Facilitator
(male)
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,861
Blog Entries: 33
Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meblonde View Post
Thanks you. I have not drank for two days. I guess that is a start. I have stopped in the pass hopefully this is for good. I sure want it to be. I really do like the clear head and the way I feel when I am sober. And the peace I feel, sleeping is real nice! I just have to hang in there and keep going..
Hello meblonde.

I was wondering how you were doing.
You may have your good,bad and "in between days.
No matter what happens,know that you don't have to drink;no matter how you're feeling.

Respectfully stated
Phoenix
__________________
When in doubt, post it out.

 
Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5
imgettingbetter HB User
Re: I need to stop drinking. Need a buddy.

just stopped myself. Lets do this together. Where are you at?

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!