It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
(male)

Victoriap9 HB User
Withdrawals and slow heartbeat

I've been drinking for twenty years almost everyday the whole time. My memory so shot I can't remember not having periods of sobriety although I'm sure I did while in a marriage for six years.
Last November I had my first panic attack after night of drinking and then drinking in morning to go to work. I was hauled away in ambulance at work felt like stroke heart attack. Ever since that day I have been sick. I started Ativan at the time and I did not stop drinking. I realized that I couldn't drink hard alcohol or my preference red wine or I'd have an attack. I had so many neurological symptoms like numbness, dizziness, fast heartbeat etc... I found white wine I could drink and i wouldn't get an attack, thus became my new vice. Bottle or two a night. Ativan would cure any anxiety the next morning.
So, last february I caught a flu that I had to take antibiotics for, so I went cold turkey with Ativan and alcohol. I was so sick I couldn't differentiate if I was getting withdrawals. But one thing I noticed my heart rate dropped really low to the 60s or below when at rest. My heartbeat always been too fast and saw cardiologist for it. So I saw him again and said my heart was fine it's ok to be slow. Soo I started drinking slowly to see if it would go back to my normal range, sure enough. This lead to me drinking again.
Been having fast heartbeat next day after drinking at rest. Saw cardiologist again did EKG they said your fine. Well I caught an awful strep last Saturday and stopped cold turkey again Sunday and stopped Ativan. It's been 3 days and although I'm sick last nite I felt anxiety and feelings of panic. I took half adtivan. Today my third day just like last time my heart is back to slow which is called bradacardia. It will be 58-60 resting and I imagine when I'm sleeping even slower. I don't want to start drinking again but I'm scared it's so low. I'm also scared of more serious withdrawals especially when I'm used to getting every single night for so many years. I'm scared to sleep for fear it will go to low. Has anyone got a clue why this happens when I stop?
I'm so glad I found this recovery board read alot of good advice. Gonna go to AA as soon as I can. It's true alcoholics can't just have one drink.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Withdrawals and slow heartbeat

Hello Victoriap9 and welcome.

Bradycardia can be caused by <many different things>.

You're right in saying that alcoholics can't have just one drink.Surrendering to this truism definitely makes it easier to proceed down the road of recovery.

I applaud your efforts to look into AA,as it has helped many.

Please feel free to peruse the boards and know that we're here for you.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Administrator; 12-12-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
(male)

Sadhu HB User
Re: Withdrawals and slow heartbeat

Yes. Alcoholics can't have one drink. It ignites the brain so we want more. Low pulse is not a sign of withdrawal - the opposite happens. So you're ok there. Stop the ativan and alcohol altogether they are one and same. I would say taper both but you've stopped before with no seizures which is high blood pressure. Rest. If it gets too low def go to er they won't give you benzos as its too low prob a balancing med.

Closed Thread

Tags
ativan, panic, slow pulse, withdraw, withdrawals