It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2001, 01:51 PM   #1

vance HB User
Red face DC'ing xanax...HELP!

Hi,

Would appreciate some help from anyone who has or is currently trying to discontinue xanax..

Ive been unable to stay on a "gradual taper method"

Now waiting for appt w/ psych-doc... ANYBODY have any experience with taking a "cross-over"(cross-tolerant)medication to help get off the xanax??

i heard that Klonopin or Valium is used. Is one drug superior for this situation?

!Much thanks! in advance for help.

Old 10-01-2001, 08:48 AM   #2

hzebo HB User
I was really strung out on Xanax and I had to "kick" them myself for about 3 days until my next prescription was ready. After that I went to other doctors and lied and got myself more and more scripts of "other" drugs so as never to run out. They are all the same if you are trying to get clean. Just substituting one for another.
After awhile I got strung out on Ativan and I had to go to detox for 10 days. That and alcohol brought me to the point of desperation and into the rooms of NA.
I have been clean for three years and 4 months and that is how I did it. I was in, and I did all the hard work that is suggested in NA. I consider myself an addict and that is why I do what I need to do to stay clean.
I have no idea if you are an addict or you are just going through the physical withdrawals or if you ever took more than your recommended dosage or to "feel" good. I can tell you that it is very painful to get off Benzodiazapines. It can be fatal as well if you have been on them for a long time and taking them every day of your life. So you need professional help to detox your body and your physical addiction. When we try to do it ourselves we fail and just become addicted to the "other" drug.
The only thing surperior to getting off Xanax is taking NOTHING. If you hear what you are asking "Is one drug better to take to get off another drug?", that can be difficult to do as well.
Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread