HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Addiction & Recovery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/)
-   -   I want to stop, please advice (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/932722-i-want-stop-please-advice.html)

loki2012 12-23-2012 12:25 AM

I want to stop, please advice

[COLOR="Red"]just a brief background. I've been an addict on narc pain meds for 7yrs. My bi lateral knee surgery trigger my addiction. At first I'd use them as prescribed but after the pain was gone, I realized I could take 2 hydrocodone 7.5/500 to escape my emotional pain. I'd zombie out for hours. I was taking up to 10 a day. My BFF helped me kick it cold turkey. I stayed on her couch for 2 weeks. The shakes, achy ness , diarrhea horse voice,freezing cold. Worse withdraws of my life but she got me through it.[/COLOR][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Fast forward to January 2011 when I messed up my rt ankle at work. ER dr gave me,yeah you guess it, hydrocodone for pain. I get referred to an OS and he does X-ray and MRI . Results, I tore a ligament, ruptured the fluid sack, bone fragments in the gutter. He gives me hydrocodone for pain, then off to my ankle/foot spec in sept 2012. After examination and looking at my charts, she decided to fix my ankle. She give me yes you guessed it, hydrocodone 10/500 for pain.[/COLOR][COLOR="Orange"]So I go back to my friends after being clean almost 2 months with narc meds. I tried oct combo of meds but didn't help. I wanted the narcs.she was very upset I had narcs but that's what it took to desk with the pain in my ankle. I want nothing more than to be clean and free of this prison bc it's caused me to alienate my BFF.we are not speaking. I know I have an addiction but I'm not like most addicts, I don't steal meds from family or friends and I don't sell in order in make mony. i honestly think if it had net been for my surgery that I could get clean again.[/COLOR][COLOR="SeaGreen"]now I might be diagnosed with reflex symphatic dystrophy which is severe chronic pain, managed by narcotic meds. I don't know what to do[/COLOR]

Phoenix 12-23-2012 02:39 AM

Re: I want to stop, please advice

[QUOTE=loki2012;5107977]I want nothing more than to be clean and free of this prison because it's caused me to alienate my BFF.we are not speaking. I know I have an addiction but I'm not like most addicts, I don't steal meds from family or friends and I don't sell in order in make money. I honestly think if it had not been for my surgery that I could get clean again.
Now I might be diagnosed with reflex symphatic dystrophy which is severe chronic pain, managed by narcotic meds. I don't know what to do[/QUOTE]

Hello loki2012 and welcome. :wave:

Wanting to be clean because its affected your relationship is a start but it might not be enough to last the test of time.
Don't get me wrong;some friendships last forever but there are way too many variables to consider.
It's suggested that a person commit to the cause,not for others but primarily for themselves.The addiction began and can only end by one's actions.
Are you prepared to go the extra mile for a better quality of living?
If your answer is yes,then realize it can be accomplished but you'll need some help getting to your destination.

Your prescribing doctor should be made aware of your addiction.Maybe he/she can prescribe something less habit forming.
This may help you on your way to the next step;Narcotic's Anonymous(or an Alcoholic's Anonymous) meeting.The main focus of addiction remains the same in either setting.

If you'd like to discuss this further,I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Respectfully stated
Phoenix

Sadhu 12-23-2012 08:11 AM

Agree there are alternatives to pain meds. You must always inform your doc of your addiction at the er or otherwise. I'm an alcoholic and always tell an er doc I can't have benzos as it triggers my addiction. Baclofen and gabapentin manage pain although not what your used too but are safer alternatives. Be smart. Stay away and you'll be golden.

loki2012 12-23-2012 12:24 PM

That's the problem, I've taken all kinds of meds to manage my pain but nothing works better than the narcs...that's what I'm running into.

Phoenix 12-24-2012 05:06 AM

[QUOTE=loki2012;5108085]That's the problem, I've taken all kinds of meds to manage my pain but nothing works better than the narcs...that's what I'm running into.[/QUOTE]

loki2012....

Your addictive nature is what concerns me at this point.
There is a saying in the rooms that:"a drug is a drug is a drug."
This applies to people addicted.
It goes way beyond the prescription;it's what we do with it that dictates the classification.

All I can realistically ask of you is to [I]please[/I] respect the powerful nature of addiction.It's not something that should be taken lightly.

Gently stated with Respectful intent
Phoenix

loki2012 12-24-2012 08:57 AM

I only take as prescribed bc I don't wanna go back down that road again.

ctrue 12-24-2012 11:01 AM

I am sorry to hear about your pain. If you have ever had an addiction to a narcotic, it is a toss up deciding do you take the medication again or stay in pain?
With addiction, if there is legit pain you can justify your need to take it. You just have to be careful that pain is the only reason you are and not because it is an escape. Most all addicts take their medication as prescribed, to start with. Even in your first post you said you did that and then realized you could escape and took them even after pain. Thats where it becomes an addiction.
If your doctor knew you had an addiction, none of them would ever prescribe you a narcotic medication. They know the chances of you becoming addicted again. If you want to stay free of them, all you have to do is mention it to the doctor that you had a problem with them and you wont have to worry. Once the doctor knows, no one will offer you any pain relief that is habit forming.
You said no other medications work? What all medications have you tried? All you said was all the doctors gave you hydrocodeine, you didnt mention whatelse you have tried. There are so many drugs out there, its surprising that nothing else but a narcotic will help. Im wondering do the others not help or do they not give you the same feeling as lortabs do? People react differently to drugs but I have several members in my own family who have an addiction to lortabs because of the euphoric feeling they give them. Its scary to me to see people want pills for that reason. It makes it so hard on those of us who have real chronic pain because doctors are scared to prescribe them. Just be careful that you arent giving other meds a fair shot because you know how the lortabs work.
There are also long acting medications that may help if you are going to require meds long term.They are not like lortabs. You dont feel them when you take them, they just control your pain. They keep the pain controlled at a steady level for up to 12 hours. I take one at bedtime myself and it works great.
Lastly dont be upset with your friend. Sounds like she is looking out for your best interest. She has seen the worst part of addiction, the w/ds. Im sure she doesnt want the addiction to get out of hand again and to see you go through that. Maybe she will feel better if she can go with you to your appointments? Let her hear from the doctor what your pain is like and that you do need medication to control it. Let her be involved with your care and maybe she will worry less.
Please dont think I am trying to nag you or make you feel bad. Most addictions start out because of real pain. If you are going to continue to take them, please be careful. Only take them when pain is at its worst and not because you can take them. Never follow a schedule (like every 4-6 hours) because your body will get dependant on them that way. Try to wait as long as possible between so you dont build a tolerence so quick. If you see it begins to get out of control, get help then. Dont wait until its so bad you dont know what to do. Sadly alot of people dont realize they are addicted, atleast you know youve had a problem.
I wish you lots of luck.