It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
(male)

Jeff the Dude HB User
Hydrocodone Taper

Hello fine people,
Great looking helpful site!

Please pardon my ignorance if this question has been covered, but I was wondering if any of you could give some advice, help, guidance.

I have been on Hydrocodone since the fall of 2011. Dr. prescribed.
I have to admit I have not been the cleanest person in the world. I lived and loved the 60's and 70's. But long story short I have not hit them too hard.
I have averaged no more than 4 a day.
I do not have it in me to do a cold turkey. I have to work, and really can't take the down time.

Now with the new year I am looking to say goodbye to this junk. I have plenty to do a taper, and have loved ones and diligence.

I tried looking this up online and was amazed that this is such a problem.

But I was thinking of doing my taper like this.
4 for a week, 3.5 for a week, 3 for a week, 2.5 for a week, 2 for a week, 1.5 for a week, 1 for week, 0.5 for a week then off.

Does this sound like a good plan? Again I need to function at the old job, so I hope this will help me get off and back on the road again. I am hoping that the W/D's won't be that bad.

I would love to hear all of your opinions!

Thanks a lot people!

The following user gives a hug of support to Jeff the Dude:
Phoenix (01-02-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Hydrocodone Taper

Jeff the Dude..

Welcome! You have come to the right place. We have such good people here to help with your question, and although I am not an expert on this board, I have just recently weaned myself off my pain control regime which included hydrocodone as well.

I will leave you question about the specifics for you to the others here who are really knowledgeable about such things.

I just wanted to offer you the encouragement to go for it, and my support as you go forward.

Again, welcome...we are glad you are here

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
Jeff the Dude (01-02-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff the Dude View Post
I was thinking of doing my taper like this.
4 for a week, 3.5 for a week, 3 for a week, 2.5 for a week, 2 for a week, 1.5 for a week, 1 for week, 0.5 for a week then off.

Does this sound like a good plan? Again I need to function at the old job, so I hope this will help me get off and back on the road again. I am hoping that the W/D's won't be that bad.
Hello Jeff the Dude and welcome.

The taper sounds feasible,in theory.

Might I suggest that you receive a doctor's approval before attempting this?
It is unsure if you have any other medical conditions that may add an element of difficulty going forward.

There are also possible withdrawal symptoms to consider and if so,what to take,that won't counteract other meds or exacerbate possible health issues.

The desire is definitely in you;now let's see what we can do to make it a safe reality.

Respectfully stated
Phoenix

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
(male)

Jeff the Dude HB User

Hey man,

Thanks a lot for the kind feedback. It is all good.
The hydro is all I am taking. The doctor has been on board with me doing this, but his method seems like a little too fast for me. I swear some of these doctors just don't know what they are talking about unless they walked that mile in our moccasins.
I don't have any other medical issues. Just taking the hydro.

I take them mostly at night between 4 and midnight.

As I said before I am taking 4 tablets of 5/500 a day.
I have plenty to do a taper and the will power to do it. To tell you the gods honest truth, if I take more than 4 I get sick.
What I was hoping to find was someones advice that went through it that I could also follow that could really help me out. A structured schedule. Some say drop every 3 days, but I like at least a week between drops.

Has anyone ever seen or ever posted a "schedule" like this before, again I apologize but really appreciate the help. As much as I trust my doctor, I love to hear the opinions of others who have been in the same boat. I trust their "kinship"

Thanks man!

Peace

Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
(female)

junkmailboneyar HB User

I'm going through the same thing right now. I think dropping too fast and this is basically the same as cold turkey. BTW, we have the same dose habit. The WDs are there for me, I didn't really expect them to be that bad but they've really got me sacked right now.

I don't have enough left to taper correctly, I'm glad you do. I could refill and do this right but it defeats my goal (state app on file that I need to keep my current med list off of). So, if I refill, I must confess that I use these things. I can't do that, a lot at stake, more at stake that putting down that I use these things.

Anyway, don't stretch out the doses too long or by the time you take one, it won't do much. I would think that this is best done by pushing apart the time you take the pills. How many hours in between can you go?

The Following User Says Thank You to junkmailboneyar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
(female)

junkmailboneyar HB User

I just have to say that I'm amazed at how many people on this board have the same daily habit as I do. I thought this amount was no big deal, easily kicked, but I'm finding that it's enough to cause a lof of crappy withdrawls.

I had been reading about folks taking 20 or 30 pills a day so I honestly thought I wasn't so bad.

I wish I could stop life for a week so I could deal with this but I can't. I have to do life and this at the same time. I'm guessing everyone here is on that boat.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
(male)

Jeff the Dude HB User

Man I feel for you brother! Hang in there! We can do this!
I feel for all that have it a heck of a lot worse than I do. I almost don't feel worthy enough to post out my concern.

But I think that I go tooooo long in between my doses. I generally take my last does about an hour before bed, and it is a good 14 hours before my next dose, by then, I can feel the dogs start barking. My big thing being agitation, headache and a lot of yawning.

I need to space them out, but not too far. That is what I was looking for here. Like should I do 3-4 hours apart? Success timelines. That would be much appreciated

Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
(female)

junkmailboneyar HB User

Fifteen hours is fantastic, wish I could make it that long. I'm every four hours right now. I was doing it too fast and while I hit 17 hours, by then I was over the falls and what I did take didn't do anything, which made me think I needed more. I didn't do it, I just learned that dropping the dose slowly is probably wiser than trying to gut it out.

My friend has the same habit, her recommendation was dropping a half every fourth day, she is able to manage down to a 1/2, but then again she's doing this because she uses all her pills up before the script comes due, I never did that myself.

She told me to use 2 for four days (just time it out), then 1.5 for four days, 1 for four days, half and then none. I don't think she realizes how hard it gets when you don't have that half to rest on. I guess I'll be letting her know.

I had a good day today: 10, 2, 6, etc, every four hours but not more than two. I'm waiting for my last night drop. LOL. I felt really good on this schedule and I think it's wise to drop by a half only, maybe it's best to do that by timing it out so the last one is before bed, not sure what your schedule is now.

I'll let you know how this goes. I've noticed that I'm not all fogged up in the mornings and I'm not dropping by 10 am anymore because I don't take my normal 7 am dose anymore. I can totally see how nice this will be once there's some distance on it. I hate the constant up and down of this, hiding the fact that I'm going to the docs for a refill, I've lied about where I'm going since Jan 2011. I can't believe I've pulled it off that long

Last edited by mod85; 01-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
(female)

junkmailboneyar HB User

Listen, the jonses are the jonses, doesn't matter if you're taking 20 a day or four, you're still going to feel the bite. Don't be embarassed about the habit, it's a habit still. I'm going to say that probably most addicts are doing this 3-4 a day thing, more than the ones taking 50 a day, of course for those folks, it's an in-patient rehab I might think. You're doing to get sick for three or four days anyway but at least you can kick at home or over a long holiday weekend. I've kids and full-time job and school and two folks in my family struggling with cancer, I'm stunned that I'm not in the 40 a day range, that I want to quit at all. I just noticed that I couldn't function, I hardly feel what I'm taking, except that it gives me like 20 minutes of a boost and then I'm clock-watching or tired or moody. I began taking them just to be normal - high risk for a heavier habit. Plus, I wasn't productive anymore, just going around and around in that spin cycle. Don't be embarassed about your 3 to 4 a day, that's where it starts and that's probably normal and it's going to give you bad days when you quit - this is no competition so you're just fine .

Old 01-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
(female)

junkmailboneyar HB User

I just read your post, you're getting 5s, that's so great for you. I get 10s and split them, so my daily habit is about 35 mgs a day, sometimes 40 mg. You're half my dose and I'd love to be where you are, lets say we back away at the same time and I'll meet you at the half a day mark! You can do it.

Closed Thread