It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
(male)

atothek HB User
Abt to stop an 8 year run of Vicodin; need some advice

I almost feel bad posting this as others have "real" addiction issues:
I have been taking Vicodin, ONLY at nights, for the past 8 years. I generally split a 10mg pill in half and take one half at about 8pm, followed by the 2nd half at 11pm. Sometimes ill take a 3rd half an hour or so later.

This began as a pain thing and now I do it to "relax" in the evening after work.

I NEVER take them during the day, nor do I have any desire to take them during the day.

I am very grateful for having not gotten addicted at a higher level but want to stop this bad habit nonetheless.

My question is: does this low of a dosage warrant a "weaning-off-period" or, can/should I just stop cold-turkey?

Thank you for reading this!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
(male)

atothek HB User
Re: Abt to stop an 8 year run of Vicodin; need some advice

anyone have any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, my advice would be to wean off slowly. You should eliminate that third dose you take right away. You may be more psychologically addicted as well so the slower your withdrawal the better your chances are for complete success. Since you have been taking this medication for 8 years, a good withdrawal period could be a year. If at first you are curious, go cold turkey and see what you experience. Everybody is different and I have known people that just stopped, went through 3 or 4 weeks of discomfort and then they were clean, it depends on you. The only problem with a fast withdrawal period is that you may seek relief by taking a dose, thereby defeating the purpose. Take care......lenvegas

Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
(male)

Paulos HB User

You alright man? You should be on Day 6 right now, I'm on Day 2 of opiate withdrawal myself... I'm sorry you're going through this, and I doubt a doctor check up is out of the question? Are you going through this cold turkey? You're not alone as I'm here with you.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
(male)

atothek HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
You alright man? You should be on Day 6 right now, I'm on Day 2 of opiate withdrawal myself... I'm sorry you're going through this, and I doubt a doctor check up is out of the question? Are you going through this cold turkey? You're not alone as I'm here with you.
Paulos-thank you for checking in.
I feel kind of bad taking up peoples time here as I really do not have a "bad" addiction.
I am finding it quite easy to wean off (which my doctor recommended)-and hope to be fully off of them by mid-February.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
(male)

Paulos HB User

I pray and hope for your best results truly, as you said it may be easy that's ... that's real good news for you then- in my case it's not so simple... I have major anxiety from the withdrawal even right now, feels like I'm having a stroke ... but I'm not, ugh ... my emotions are all over and I just feel bad .

Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
(male)

atothek HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
I pray and hope for your best results truly, as you said it may be easy that's ... that's real good news for you then- in my case it's not so simple... I have major anxiety from the withdrawal even right now, feels like I'm having a stroke ... but I'm not, ugh ... my emotions are all over and I just feel bad .
Sorry to hear that brother.
Stay strong...I imagine whatever you are feeling is to be expected...and it should get easier as time passes.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

read the Thomas Recipe.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
(female)

manning722 HB User

I would suggest a tapering method. Your body has a dependency on this medication at night and eight years is a long time. You need to teach your body that it's ok to not rely on this med every night and that you REALLY don't need it. Start with one half less for a few days then one half more less for another few days. That is what my doctor suggested a few years agob when i was on it for a year after a car accident.

Closed Thread