It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

Dumbunny HB User
Need help. Hep C recovered and now have Oxycodone dependancy.

Hello,
2 years ago I went through Hep C treatment for the second time. I am in remission now but have tons of medical issues related to that treatment such as Fibromyalgia and an autoimmune disease. I have pain that is severe in my bones and joints. I have been on pain meds for over 2 yrs and desperately want to get off of them. I have been scared to though for fear of the pain but how do i know if I can handle the pain if I dont know what I feel like not doped up? Im sick of worrying about running out of my meds and being bound to them. My doc wants me to continue them for a little longer but I would rather detox and then take them as needed. I have tried to quit cold turkey and the anxiety and body twitching or restless leg thing was UNbearable for me.. im terrified of that I tried muscle relaxers to help with it but it didnt work. I could handle the sweating and no sleep and everything else but not that part.. I thought I was going to go mental. I really want to get off these things and I feel like my doc isnt hearing me. How can I get off these at home and what is the right way to ween off and the quickest. I dont mind feeling yucky I just dont want the anxiety part. I know Im rambling but this is the first time I have ever talked about it and dont know what to do. I also dont want to do use methadone or suboxone as I heard they can be just as hard to ween off of as the oxycodone. So if anyone out there can give me positive advice I would appreciate it.. thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Need help. Hep C recovered and now have Oxycodone dependancy.

Hi there

Welcome to the boards. :-)

I have come off Oxycodone and did it by slow taper. If the anxiety is unbearable, then coming off cold turkey is not the way for you. A quick taper will also lend itself heavily to strong withdrawal symptoms.

A long, slow taper comes with the least amount of withdrawal symptoms. For myself, this meant a cut of only 10% from one dose at a time. (I started with four doses a day). After making the cut, take 10-14 days for your body and brain to level out and then make a 10% cut from another dose. Along the way, begin stretching the time between doses. For example, I started increasing the time before I took my first dose in the morning by 15 minute intervals. Again, I went slowly doing this... once a week or so. It is also good to start moving the final dose of the day farther and farther back from bedtime to break any dependence on the Oxycodone for sleep.

It would help to know your total daily intake and the amont of doses per day.

Learn to measure the taper in progres, rather than time like days or weeks. It took me a few months to get off 60mgs total a day at four doses a day.

This really can be done. :-). Don't rush it. In the end, I pretty much walked off the Oxycodone because I took my time.

With hope always
reach

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
Jennylynski (01-17-2013), nicole88ac (01-22-2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
oxycodone addiction, withdrawals