It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User
Switched vicodin for Neurontin: is it addictive?

Howdy ya'll, ain't been on for awhile, getting through holidays, etc. I was having trouble with hydrocodone cessation due to some pretty painful conditions, my doc put me on Neurontin 300mg., up to 4 a day. I found that it is used for narcotic WD's, nerve pain (what I have), and are quite physically and even mentally addictive. Inmates buy and abuse them in prison, folks that ain't in prison get addicted to them. Like a lot of meds, people react different, but looking around the Web I found a lot of bad stuff about the horrible way it makes you feel (I'm dealing with some of that, too) and that folks get "hooked" pretty easy on this stuff. Anyone had similar experiences with this drug? I may want to get off it if this stuff is true. Thanks, JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User
Re: Switched vicodin for Neurontin: is it addictive?

Nobody has anything to share on this post?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I was on Neurontin for nerve anproblems stemming from fibromyalgia. I took a high dose. I couldn't drive. I could work etc. I don't think they are addicting. People take them for leg numbness and tingling in the legs.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
(male)

Yea, I feel real goofy sometimes after a dose, then shaky, then tired and sleepy. I'm going to ask the doc to try something else, I don't think this drug is for me. I looked up the side-effects and they were unreal. I also read they can cause severe WD's when stopped and they are addictive to many folks (I think it's a physical thing). I don't like it. JB

Old 01-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

so how long have you been off the vicodens? I'm on day2 of percocet w/d. So much fun. My nose is so runny, it is raw from me blowing it. I hurt all over. I got a bunch of movies at thelibrary to watch. that keeps me from thinking about it. hope you're doing well.

Rose

Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
(male)

I stopped hydrocodone on New Year's Day this year, it was too much Tylenol and they weren't doing as well for my nerve pain as the Neurontin, but it has some crummy side-effects too. It did help me with me WD's, plus a few Xanax. I'm 58 and did not want to go someplace to WD, so I prepared. I hope you get through your's, it is never any fun. JB

Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again.

Wow, since Jan 1! You just about have it beat. I am miserably starting on day 3. Up at 3, Freezing, my joints and bones hurt. My nose isn't as runny as it was. And I'm not yawning quite as much. I'm so glad I'm detoxing while my husband is home. He is helping me so much with cooking, cleaning, and mostly being supportive. I have been complaining a lot. I just took some ibuprofen, so maybe that will help. I am going to start the L-Tyrosene on day 5. It helps so much with the blahs, the I don't want to do anything, I'm bored feelings.

I know one thing. I'm never going to put another percocet in my mouth again, God helping me. Take good care of yourself,

Rose

Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
(male)

That's a big help, having your "signifigant other" aiding with things to make a difficult process a little easier. Were you on much Percocet? For a long time? That has a lot to do with the time and difficulty of WD's. I was once on 480-640 mg. of Oxycontin daily, years ago, and was abruptly switched to Methadone when my insurance was dropped. I went right to it, from Oxy one day to Methadone the next. I thought I would have horrible WD's but never had anything. The Methadone took everything away and I was able to slowly wean off it, a lot easier than weaning off the other stuff, but that's me. I hope you get through this, if you were taking them for pain, Methadone is good for nerve pain and is "easier" not to get hooked in a mental way because it has a very weak "buzz", it just kills pain and makes you sleepy. Anyway, thanks for the support, JB

Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Thanks for the advice. Please check my blog for the answers you want. Thanks.

Closed Thread