It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: need help

Heya

I gotta be honest with you.. I never really suffered with cravings. I think it was because I had become sober-thinking long before I ended my tapers. This is in no way to say you are less. Oh, no, no, not at all. It is to explain to you why I think this was true for me.

All the agitation, the crying, the anxiety that were symptoms for me... I made a conscious effort to tell myself that these were symptoms of my brain and body restoring themselves. And they truly are that. They are not pleasant, but they are the product of our getting back into letting the brain work on its own, without drugs. The opiates depress all of our systems and must be given a chance to get back into full working order.

As far as suboxone or methadone... that is a choice each must make after honestly evaluating their own state of mind. If it is just to get past 2-3 weeks of feeling crappy, then I would advise no. If it is because you can not feel yourself changing your thoughts about using, then I guess I would say yes. The biggest plus that suboxone offers is that it gives an addict a chance to reach sober thinking and reduces the chances of abusing other opiates. It does, however, contain an opiate as well as a drug that puts a 'ceiling' on getting high. Like Methadone, it is a drug that would hopefully keep an addict from taking higher and higher doses of other opiates.

Secrets, sweetpea, I would advise you to discuss it with the psychologist you are trying to find before making a decision. Advice from experience... it is easier usually to get an appointment more quickly with a Clinical Social Worker. Just keep that in mind if you find trying to get into a Psycholgist's and find an appointment is a longer wait than what you want.

Continue eating regualrly as possible. Also, I took a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and one of honey every single day. I can not remember the purpose at the moment, but I know it was helpful. Work off the cravings with activity... clean drawers, scrub a floor by hand in slow, circular motions. These things help. And remember, you are in the process of restoring body and mind.

In understanding and hope
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread