It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Stopping Diazepan

I don't know if I am posting under the right heading/section here. I am writing on behalf of my mother, who stopped taking Diazepan around nine months ago.
(A little bit of history, she took Diazepan and Ativan around 22 years ago, due to anxiety, and went through years of hell, coming off these drugs) Around 5 years ago, she had been prescribed Stemitel, for dizziness, and was on them for a period of around 2 years, she stopped them abruptly, and started feeling quite poorly, and ended up being put on a concoction of drugs, including Diazepan, Ativan and then Lyrica, I think she was on 600mg of Lyrica for around 18 months, before she stopped taking it, and started feeling very anxious, she tried taking her life twice, after stopping this drug, and was put back onto Diazepan, which she took, a small dose of,(1-2mg daily- for several months).

She stopped the Diazepan as said around 9 months ago, but appears to be suffering horrendously, with withdrawal still. She says she feels like she has a vibrating in her stomach, and horrendous weakness in her stomach muscles, (this seems to be made worse when she talks) she also says her stomach feels like it is going to burst and it is making her feel hysterical. She has regular contact with a voluntary service helping with people withdrawing from prescribed meds, and is under her GP and a social worker, but she says no-one seems to understand these feelings she has in her stomach.

I just wondered if there was anyone out there, who could relate to this at all, and if so, whether things eventually got better, she is convinced she is always going to feel like this, and I am worried, if things continue, she may try taking her life again, and I really cannot go through that again.

Thank you in advance for reading my post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Stopping Diazepan

Just an idea...Could your mom stay on a psychiatric floor and be followed by a psychiatrist and a primary care or gastroenterologist?
I have tapered from 80 mg of valium to 30. As per the Ashton method, you only decrease the dose 2 mg every 2 weeks. I don't really understand your mom's dose. She is probably having so much difficulty from suddenly stopping taking the pills she was on. W/D symptoms can last a lifetime by doing this. She may have windows of feeling ok followed by anxiety again. Also maybe seeing an addiction doctor would help.

Closed Thread