It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
(female)

Jpouch HB User
Emergency Surgery While on Subutex

This is my first time posting and I hope I'm in the right place. I have suffered from Ulcerative Colitis since I was 11 and had my colon removed 12 years ago. I've suffered from Pouchitis (essentially the UC recurred in my pouch) ever since. I have had a number of intestinal blockages resulting from scar tissue in my abdomen and have been on and off hydrocodone for years. Last year my use turned into abuse and I decided to try subutex to help with withdrawal and pain management. Here's where it all went wrong - - I ended up with a severe total intestinal blockage which required emergency small bowel resection surgery while we were on vacation. When I told the ER docs I was on Subutex they immediately pegged me as a drug seeker (in front of my husband and young daughters) and kept me in pain until my cat-scan showed a perforated bowel. Needless to say, it took almost 48 hours to get my pain under control due to the sub. I have been recovering from my surgery the past 6 weeks and will be weaning off my pain meds again. I am terrified to go back on the sub - the thought of not being able to control my pain with regular pain medication is scary. Have any of you experienced something similar? Did you go back to the sub? Maybe this time I should only do a short course of sub - any advice would be truly appreciated.
Thanks )

The following user gives a hug of support to Jpouch:
Phoenix (04-19-2013)
Closed Thread