It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
(male)

johnp234 HB User
My addiction to Rx opiates

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this missive, but here goes. Most of you seem to have short term addiction problems by comparison. My addiction to Rx opiates began in 1971 when I was badly injured in plane crash during the VN war. At first it was morphine, then Empirin #3, then Vicodin, now Norco 10/325 for the last 26 years. I was holding at 40mg/day for about 10 years, then last year started to occasionally take 50/day. That's when the trouble started. So many side effects I can't list them all, but sleep disturbance, urinary problems, joint problems are just a few. I've been successful in reducing back to 40, but of course now I feel like Nosferatu, not able to sleep much at all. Tomorrow, I put the pills in a lock box, and give my wife the key. She's going to give me 3.5/day for 2 weeks, then 3, etc. I hate to put her through this, since she is in no way responsible.

I have a basically unlimited prescription, and that's another problem. Yet another problem is that I'm still in constant pain from my injury, and am barely able to walk without opiates (I have a genetic bleeding disorder, so can't take any NSAIDS or COX2 inhibitors).

Should I tell my doc I want him to stop prescribing me these things? Is taking anti-anxiety medication indicated, or will I just wind up addicted to sleep aids? That's the last thing on earth I want. What next?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
(female)

first taper HB User
Re: tapering Norco… here is where I am now… help!!

Hi John…Wow, I'm so new to this, and I wish I knew the magic answer…but I don't. I had bee taking Norco for around 8-years and I thought that was a long time… I did what you are doing…gave them to my Boyfriend and told him my schedule…I made him promise to not give me any additional ones…and to his credit…he was strong. About 3-days in, I was begging for them!! I have now made it over 1-month with NO pills and I still want them when pain and stress set in, so I fight every day…and there have been 3-days that have gone by and I never even thought about taking pills.

I'm sure your pain level is pretty bad!! Mine wasn't…I just convinced myself it was to justify taking the pills! It is different for you, and only you and your Dr know if there are alternate things that can help with your pain. You are doing an amazing thing!! Good luck and let me know how you progress!! You sound like a very strong person!! Hats off to your wife as well!! My thoughts are with you both!!

Best,
FT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
Re: My addiction to Rx opiates

Hi John, I am so sorry for your problems...truly.
I am a chronic pain patient. My daughter, sadly has struggled with addiction for a very long time but I am SO hopeful as she has 3 years clean this coming fall. I stay in One Day At A Time with her but as her mom I am so proud.

I have this fantastic book called Chronic Pain by Arthur Rosenfeld. He explains in detail, addiction vs dependency which is where sick folks end up. (I hope it is okay to put a book reference here). When I went in for my back injections they lent me the book. It was in the office right there at the hospital. I thought I knew just about everything, but still learned much more.

Myself, I need my treatment to have quality of life. I guess John what I am thinking is if indeed you need your medication to treat your pain and that pain is stemming from an injury which is not the same at all as addiction, what will you do? I would not be walking and honestly life would be too difficult to continue on. I just have that much pain with my nerve disease and autoimmunce MCTD at this time. Age has only made things worse.

My heart goes out to you. I know there are GREAT folks on this board. I know you will find some answers, just know that I am thinking of you and hoping that you get the appropriate treatment plan for you.

I have stayed at the same mgs for the past 7 years. I feel I could increase due to my pain, but I really don't want to do that. Down the line I need to know something will work if I need it to, if that makes sense.
Many thoughts coming your way John..
My VERY best to you!!
Madison

Closed Thread