It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
(male)

gettingfit444 HB User
Get really angry over little things

Hello everyone I recently stopped drinking from over a span of about 10 years. I started drinking when I was 15 basically every night now I am 26 and have quit finally. I have been clean for a bit over 6 months. I exercise regularly, and just quit smoking cigarettes like 2 months ago.

The problem is I am noticing that lately I get really enraged over the smallest things that dont really bother other people like for instance getting stuck in traffic or having to wait in a long line at a grocery store. I dont act out and start screaming or anything like that but the rage builds up to the point where I want to punch something. For example this morning when I went to leave my garage someone that lives with me was blocking me in and after they moved there car I was so mad I burned out all the way out of the driveway. That is not normal.

I have never hurt anyone nor would I ever its more like I said I get the urge to break a material object or punch a wall or something like that. I have noticed though that it is getting worse lately and harder to control. Exercise used to help me but it seems like that really isn't helping like it used to anymore either.

I have thought about it and wondered maybe if its because I have never really had to deal with emotions before because I was always under the influence of alcohol or had a cigarette when I was angry. I just hope it is not a more serious mental condition. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I just also finished my first semester of college and did very well, just lost a great deal of weight I really have no reason in the world to be getting upset like I am, especially over such small matters.

The following user gives a hug of support to gettingfit444:
Phoenix (05-14-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Get really angry over little things

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingfit444 View Post
I have thought about it and wondered maybe if its because I have never really had to deal with emotions before because I was always under the influence of alcohol or had a cigarette when I was angry. I just hope it is not a more serious mental condition.
Hello gettingfit444 and welcome.

I believe you may have hit the nail on the head.
Alcohol and cigarettes were your mechanisms for coping.

Without them,it forces you to address issues on a daily basis,varying in intensity.

After 10 years of drinking,one has to give both their body and mind some time to adjust.
A year or more is not out of the ordinary,depending on the toll it took.

Have you considered either going for a physical,attending AA or even smokers anonymous?

There may be an underlying issue/condition that could be best addressed by a therapist.

Please note that there's nothing to be ashamed of when seeking help;it's the responsible thing to do.

Respectfully
Phoenix

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
gettingfit444 (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
(male)

gettingfit444 HB User

Thank you very much for the reply. I have been going to a therapist through my school but we really havent spent much time talking about the anger issue. I have also attended AA meetings but lately not so much because I started school but the semester is almost done so I am going to be attending again.

Going to the doctor for a physical is pretty much out of the question right now because I do not have any health insurance. Truthfully though what you say makes a lot of of sense because I was talking to a friend that has a lot of experience in the addiction field and they said someone that had been using as long as me would need about a year for there brain to return to that of someone that doesn't need substances to deal with stuff.

I just got nervous because I was doing a lot of reading on people that get very angry over small things and a lot of people suggested Bi Polar disorder but I am actually studying mental health in school and a big focus was people with Bi Polar disorder and I have to say I really don't see me having it at all.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, You should work your way up to at least one hour of intense cardio exercise a day. Choose your weapon be it treadmill, stair stepper, elliptical machine or just plain running. It will produce beta endorphins which is a narcotic type substance the brain produces to deal with pain and it will also help you deal with life. As a former user and abuser I have used cardio exercise to improve my life and control my emotions. At first it was recommended I get therapy but really, who wants to sit around telling someone your feelings?......thats not me The good thing about endurance training is that it a cheap natural high, and if there was something better I would be doing it. Good luck to you....

The Following User Says Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
gettingfit444 (05-12-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
(female)

kaylalala HB Userkaylalala HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingfit444 View Post
I was talking to a friend that has a lot of experience in the addiction field and they said someone that had been using as long as me would need about a year for there brain to return to that of someone that doesn't need substances to deal with stuff.
I think your friend is right. There is something called Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. I heard about it when I was in detox for alcohol, and I still have a lot of these symptoms myself.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-13-2013 at 01:39 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to kaylalala For This Useful Post:
gettingfit444 (05-13-2013)
Closed Thread