It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

Barb needs help HB User
Withdrawal Ativan, clonazepam

I am desperate, motivated to kick benzoz, scared withdrawing so fast could kill me or cause failure. Am I even in the right place to post?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Withdrawal Ativan, clonazepam

Hello Barb

Glad to meet you~~welcome to the board. :-)

I have withdrawn from the benzo Xanax after using (and then abusing) it for many years. Yes, we have to be careful, but it is so within our ability to do. Truly.

The "standard" rule for withdrawaing from a benzo is to never make higher than a 5-10% cut from one dose at a time. We make a cut, wait 10-14 days to stabilize and then make another small cut on another dose.

Making the cuts will require breaking pills and even smashing them to measure our an appropriate dose. Sometimes we have to eyeball the amount, but I never had an issue getting near enough to make it workable.

We have to do it slow, slow, slow. This not only minimizes withdrawal symptoms, but also ensures our safety. I worked out my withdrawal plan with my family doctor.

Things that most helped me:
Sharing with my hubby and friends here on the board

Changing my thinking and understanding that instead of "withdrawal" symptoms, I was experiencing the symptoms of my brain and body healing.

Remembering that it took me a long time to get where I was and that getting off would take time also

Measuring in progress, not time.. there were a couple of times when I had to wait close to 3 weeks to feel strong enough to make the next cut. Not a big deal, I was still making progress.

Wishing you well and hope to see an update from you.

With all hope
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
(female)

Barb needs help HB User

I am so glad you responded to me. I have never used a forum before and went round and round in circles reading, not able to figure out how to post until my head ached so I had to give up trying. I do need help, I don't know how to get on the right board so I am in touch with others who are experiencing depression, mood swings and withdrawal.
I do hope anyone reading this can respond with guidance. That the feeling of acute aloneness need not be.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
(female)

Barb needs help HB User

Here I am again trying to figure out how to make friends and share, get help, give whatever encouragement I can. I succeeded in getting off Ativan only to have my doctor tell me he wants me to feel empowered to continue on now with clonazepam tapering. To say I am scared is an understatement. I am obsessed with my pain and defeating thoughts. Wake up afraid to face each day. I am making a lot of mistakes in trying to cope with everyday living demands despite help from mental health. Perhaps worst of all I can't stop recycling thoughts which are detrimental to recovery. Can anyone relate? Can you teach me how to use these boards to get online buddies

Old 06-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
(male)

al23 HB User
Smile Re: Withdrawal Ativan, clonazepam

Hey Barb,

I can relate. I came off benzo's about 5 years ago and went through an 18 month taper to come off a daily dose of 2mg Atavan.

Today I feel great. Drug free.

What helped me the most, besides the great and now sadly defunct Yahoo Benzo Withdrawl support board was the Ashton Manual, written by Dr Heather Ashton, a rare expert on Benzo withdrawl and how to successfully and very slowly get off these poisons.

Take a moment and do a Google search and ******** hDr Ashton's Manual. iTrust me when I say you won't be sorry. and it won't cost you a dime.

good luck

Closed Thread