It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
(male)

NoMorePlz HB User
Smile Methadone Withdrawal In The Future.

How's it going? This is my first post and I'm not really sure of what all I should say. I do know that I have been on methadone for a few years and have been weaning down over the last year or two. I am down to 8 mg. per day of liquid. My goal for myself is to be off of this stuff by the end of the year. I have enough money saved for me to get to the end of the year. I'm just scared about the withdrawals that I will experience. I'm going to continue weaning myself down. That's all I have for now. It's getting late and I'm ready for bed. Peace.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Methadone Withdrawal In The Future.

Hi There

Welcome aboard.

Although I have withdrawn from opiates and from Xanax, I have no experience coming off methadone. I can only share what my own experience coming off opiates has been. Like you are doing, I weaned down slowly. The closer to the end, the slower I went. And I do mean slow!! I would break the oxycodone tables into 4 pieces and then smash a piece so that I was only getting a tiny bit. When I finally felt ready, I basically just walked away... didn't have to "jump off" as I had gotten the dose down so very low.

I had withdrawal symptoms (although I chose to call them symptoms of healing) as I went along. Sometimes it was rough, sometimes easier. When I felt I could handle it, I would make a cut and once a cut was made, there was no going back. I made a cut every, oh, maybe 10 days or so. At one point, I had to wait nearly 3 weeks to make a cut.... I was just having a rough time and needed the time to level out again.

I also was very methodical throughout the taper. I pretty much stuck to a 10% cut each time. I kept a journal and documented for myself the symptoms that occurred and anything I did that was progress to me (like a trip to the store, a walk, a phone call to a friend). As the weeks passed, I could see in black and white that I was making progress. Even when I was feeling down and doubtful, I would read that journal and see in black and white that I was indeed progressing.

I guess my advice to you is to keep weaning down slowly and steadily... and to have a solid plan in place for aftercare. Aftercare for me was continuing with a clinical social worker. She actually worked with me during and after the tapers. AA, NA, or private counseling are all good choices... just need to find the one that works for us as individuals.

Good luck
Hope to hear from you again
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread