It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kerry735 HB User
Diazapam withdrawal

Hi everyone,

I am posting to get/provide help for my son whom I am in reunion with since his adoption. Its very special bond we are forging, but he is trying to recover from drug and alcohol abuse. Currently he has stopped both drugs and alcohol but is now in the catch 22 of withdrawing from antidepressants - chiefly diazepam - which I understand from experts in this field to be the most life threatening withdrawal of them all and to be approached with great caution, benzodiazapenes in other words.

He is also on mirtzapine, but that will be withdrawn later, more than 4 weeks once we get him off diazepam safely. He is having such a rough time with the withdrawal that when he refers back to his GP, its pretty much tough love and get on with it. I can't understand why the BNF (British national formulary) of which I have a copy having worked in a pharmacy says that this drug should only be used for 2-4 weeks MAXIMUM as to why he's been on it 16 months or more.

He is doing soooo well, but to me, I am very worried, as I feel his GP is taking him down the scale far too fast and his body is suffering horrendous symptoms. He has been withdrawing for the past 16months and in the end has added methadone once a week of 50ml to help him with the pain of the withdrawal. Mentally and emotionally its agony for him. Am sure there must be many of you out there that can sympathise.

IMHO I feel that the GP has overlooked the proviso that the Ashton model makes that 'withdrawal should be flexible and dependent on withdrawal responses' so I've asked him to go back to his GP and ask him to stop at 24mg until the withdrawal symptoms calm down a bit.

I checked out Prof Heather Ashton's method of reducing diazepam by 2mg every 2 weeks. He has managed to get down from 84mg (originally 100mg?) to 24mg, but it has been excruciating for him and he suffers something awful. He describes it as ice crystals and an icy feeling going through his blood and he curls up on the settee and his mental mood crashes.
The muscles seize up and pretty much every description on the Ashton website of side effects he is suffering.

I am definitely not happy with this and have done my own research and contacted the organisations I trust in the UK and I am about to put him on the following after also reading Julia Ross, The Mood Cure and also being jenned up on Patrick Holford (if I'm allowed to say that) and their links/contacts.

A UK multivitamin by the top company (imo) that is very supportive of adrenals & blood sugar levels. Blood sugar leveling is very important in addiction, as its when these are low, addicts reach for whatever will give them an energy kick and also the emotional placating effect, but its a enjoy now, pay later response). So as well as the following supplements that I hope to get him on soonest, I've also advised to eat more regularly and good quality food, x5 a day: have a good breakfast, eat at 11am, 1pm, 3pm, and 6pm with plenty of fresh veg, etc. Easy to say, hard to do in this reach for the nearest and easiest prepared stuff.

Am also encouraging him to drink 2 litres of water daily (not dehydrating stuff like alcohol, tea, coffee if possible) to assist the detoxification process. The combination of better eating habits with good food and water should stabilize the blood sugar levels. The psychological support am providing via Skype every day and a landline to call me any time during the night if it gets real bad. But, I am scared - I don't want to lose him now after all these years and I hope he pulls through this.

So, for starters, if we can afford it:

a special probiotic that includes 500mg glutamine. (I've been told blood sugar is a gut issue and glutamine heals the gut - have used it in schizophrenia).

a liver support product - crucial (same company)

zinc - main enzyme to detoxify

Vitamin C - inactivates the enzyme that breaks down endorphins (the feel good guys when you exercise etc) and stress reliever, antioxidant etc.

broad spectrum amino acids (according to Julia Ross - a real breakthrough in coping with addiction and moods).

GABA - neurotransmitter calmer that helps with anxiety and muscle cramping

a B complex - essential with the assault on the nervous system that addiction brings

a UK product of antioxidants including glutathione - the 'mother' of all antioxidants and affects almost every aspect of human health.

If anyone has had any experience of using these, that would be great to hear. But I'm not prepared to let my son suffer like this and I will keep you posted as to how he gets on.

Last edited by mod85; 06-28-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread