It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

liz3518 HB User
need help

I need help for opiate withdraw.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: need help

Hi Liz

Welcome to the boards. I hope we can offer you some help and support in getting off opiates.

There are some options in getting off... cold turkey, taper, in-house rehab, outpatient rehab. For me, I chose a long slow taper and can share my experience with that option.

First, a good, solid plan in two parts helps tremendously. The first part is to chose our method of detoxing. The second part is to determine our after care help.

For me, I first went to my family doctor, swallowed my pride, and told him completely honestly what was going on. It's not a new story and has been heard lots of times before. With him (and my husband as well), we developed a schedule of cuts. There were times it had to be tweaked, but that is okay as long as we continue to make progress.

The second part of my plan was seeking professional help to understand why I was crossing the line and using pain meds to hide from emotional pain. I received the best help in this with a Clinical Social Worker. With her guidance, I uncovered a lot of emotional pain and learned to deal with it. I actually started with her long before my taper was over.

Was the going tough? Sure. However it was necessary. I got off the opiates, learned (or relearned) healthier coping skills to deal with Life as it threw curveballs at me.

I am sure you have a bunch of unanswered questions flying around in your head. Share whatever thoughts you have and let's work on helping you. :-)

With best wishes
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread