It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
(male)

romeo1104 HB User
Quitting Oxy - Please give your advice

Hi All,
I've been taking OXI IR for 1.5 year now due to awful Mirgins... I've seen my doctor once a month and monitor everything all the time - I've decided that these pills have to much of a strangle hold over me, ever time i feel a slight pain in my head i take one, when it's a Awful migrain i take one... I've never taken the pills unless I've had pain...

I'm currently taking 7 pills per day ( 5MG) each...

I called my Doctor today and told him that I want to stop these pills and he said it's up to me as I've been diagnostic with Chronic daily Migraines....

So what should I expect? I'm stopping cold turkey next week...

I have Clonnazapn ( I've been on it for 8 years) to help with any anxiety, I also have some sleeping pills due to not being able to sleep last year... My Doctor also called in a Script for me for some type of blood pressure pill to make sure stopping the OXI wouldn't cause medical issues....

Is there any advice for me?

I want to repeat I've been on these pills on from my Doctor for a REAL pain issue for a year and a half and I've never taken a pill unless I'm in pain ( which is everyday).... I have NEVER crushed these, snorted these, injected these... NEVER

my reasons are I would like to be off these for at least 3-4 months to evaluate how my normal pain relief for my migrians - my fear is that I'm having rebound migrians due to the normal use ...

Advice and thoughts for me please?

Once again the meds i have to help with quieting without tapering off is:

1) Clonnazapna ( 2MG per pill)
2) Clonidine ( 2 pills , 2 times per day at 0.025MG per pill)
3) Vit B * good old fashion vitemen
4) a week's supply of sleeping pills ( don't know the name)

while i quit if i get a bad headace or migrain can i take a Advil or Tyleno? I'm flushing the Oxy down the tolent Sunday night! and my new life away from opiets will start.... do you think i will have really bad withdrawls? I took the week off of work...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
(female)

Kylekat HB User
Re: Quitting Oxy - Please give your advice

Hi,

First off stopping 35mgs of OXY daily cold turkey can be pretty dangerous, your body is used to having that drug, it's had it for a long time and it's not going to react well to just not having it all of a sudden. You could risk cardiac problems, seizures, extreme rebound migraine pain (the kind that puts you in the hospital) and a whole host of other problems.

The only safe way to detox off of this large a dose of this strong of a narcotic is to taper down off of it over a period of time. You reduce the dosage by a few mgs each week until your down to a safe enough daily dosage to stop cold turkey, which is usually 5 mgs per day. At that point the withdrawal symptoms, while still there won't be so bad that they'll stop your quality of life.

You have to remember your going to be dealing with Migraines and withdrawal symptoms at the same time....this isn't going to be easy.

I'm quite surprised your Dr. ever put you on a Narcotic for Migraines, they usually don't as Narcotics cause rebound headache pain and can and usually do make Migraines worse. Are you seeing a Neuro for your Migraines? Are you taking a daily preventative? And do you take actual Migraine meds at onset of a Migraine?

I have cluster Migraines, meaning I get one and it last for up to 13 days, I take Topomax as a preventative daily, and take a combo of Tordal, Axert and Zofran sublinguals at onset. Narcotics have never touched my migraines.

Good luck and I hope you choose to do this the safe way. Migraines in themselves can be dangerous, stopping this high of a dose of Oxy cold turkey and provoking the Migraines at the same time is just not a smart thing to do and all the prep and assisstive meds in the world aren't going to make it any safer. Tapering is the only safe way to detox.

KK

Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
(male)

romeo1104 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylekat View Post
Hi,

First off stopping 35mgs of OXY daily cold turkey can be pretty dangerous, your body is used to having that drug, it's had it for a long time and it's not going to react well to just not having it all of a sudden. You could risk cardiac problems, seizures, extreme rebound migraine pain (the kind that puts you in the hospital) and a whole host of other problems.

The only safe way to detox off of this large a dose of this strong of a narcotic is to taper down off of it over a period of time. You reduce the dosage by a few mgs each week until your down to a safe enough daily dosage to stop cold turkey, which is usually 5 mgs per day. At that point the withdrawal symptoms, while still there won't be so bad that they'll stop your quality of life.

You have to remember your going to be dealing with Migraines and withdrawal symptoms at the same time....this isn't going to be easy.

I'm quite surprised your Dr. ever put you on a Narcotic for Migraines, they usually don't as Narcotics cause rebound headache pain and can and usually do make Migraines worse. Are you seeing a Neuro for your Migraines? Are you taking a daily preventative? And do you take actual Migraine meds at onset of a Migraine?

I have cluster Migraines, meaning I get one and it last for up to 13 days, I take Topomax as a preventative daily, and take a combo of Tordal, Axert and Zofran sublinguals at onset. Narcotics have never touched my migraines.

Good luck and I hope you choose to do this the safe way. Migraines in themselves can be dangerous, stopping this high of a dose of Oxy cold turkey and provoking the Migraines at the same time is just not a smart thing to do and all the prep and assisstive meds in the world aren't going to make it any safer. Tapering is the only safe way to detox.

KK

I've only starting taking 7 pills per day for around 2-3 months... it's been a build up from 1 pill to 7 over the 2 years... I've tried 14 other NON narcotic meds for my migrians over a 10 year peroird... I get Nerv blocks and Botox treatmeant for my mirgains as well...

I used to smoke 10 years ago and I quit cold turkey - I'm just one of those people who would rather quit cold turkey than spend weeks tapering off...

Trust me These meds are the only thnig that helped me during my battle with mirgrans...

which is why i have the sleeping pills and the anzity pills to help combat the WD....

I also was hoping that people would be more happy and full of encuerage meant with me stopping these meds...

I'm going to be lying in bed for a week taking clonnazzapn, sleeping pills and Clonidine...

Last edited by mod85; 07-21-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Romeo

Nice to meet you here on the board. :-)

Cold turkey is certainly an option for getting off opiates and the path many choose. It will not kill you ( benzos are a different story), but it will be far from pleasant for a while. Whether an addict or legitimate use it makes no difference in the detox and its symptoms.

Major diarrhea is the first withdrawal symptom. Stock up on Immodium.

The Clonodine is a blood pressure med and can help some and often minimizes the sweating that occurs. It is commonly prescribed during detox.

Anxiety also runs high during this time. Clonzapam can help certainly, but as you have been on it regularly already, I am not sure it will have much more impact. I was also on a benzo (Xanax) for a long time before starting a slow taper from Oxycodone and, truthfully, it did not help a whole lot.

Something you might expect is an increase in pain. The brain sends out signals looking for the opiate when it is stopped and backaches, headaches and leg issues often crop up as it searches. Restless legs always seem to be an issue also whether cold turkey or taper. I bought some tablets called "Leg Cramps" that did seem to help. I also took Melatonin 3mg to help with sleep. It can be purchased at any chain drugstore and even some grocery stores.

Days 3-5 are usually the worst days and then things start to take a turn for the better after Day 5. While I do share with Kylecat that cold turkey is a tough road, we each have to decide for ourselves what the best plan of action is. There have been successes using both methods.

Wishing you well and hope that it is over in a week for you.

Be well and stay strong
reach

Old 07-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
(male)

romeo1104 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachout View Post
Hi Romeo

Nice to meet you here on the board. :-)

Cold turkey is certainly an option for getting off opiates and the path many choose. It will not kill you ( benzos are a different story), but it will be far from pleasant for a while. Whether an addict or legitimate use it makes no difference in the detox and its symptoms.

Major diarrhea is the first withdrawal symptom. Stock up on Immodium.

The Clonodine is a blood pressure med and can help some and often minimizes the sweating that occurs. It is commonly prescribed during detox.

Anxiety also runs high during this time. Clonzapam can help certainly, but as you have been on it regularly already, I am not sure it will have much more impact. I was also on a benzo (Xanax) for a long time before starting a slow taper from Oxycodone and, truthfully, it did not help a whole lot.

Something you might expect is an increase in pain. The brain sends out signals looking for the opiate when it is stopped and backaches, headaches and leg issues often crop up as it searches. Restless legs always seem to be an issue also whether cold turkey or taper. I bought some tablets called "Leg Cramps" that did seem to help. I also took Melatonin 3mg to help with sleep. It can be purchased at any chain drugstore and even some grocery stores.

Days 3-5 are usually the worst days and then things start to take a turn for the better after Day 5. While I do share with Kylecat that cold turkey is a tough road, we each have to decide for ourselves what the best plan of action is. There have been successes using both methods.

Wishing you well and hope that it is over in a week for you.

Be well and stay strong
reach
Thank you for the very kind words... i am 1 hour away from it being 1 day ( 24 hours) from my last 5MG pill... So it's exciting to be starting day 2...

last night was a challenge to say the least , my sleeping pills didn't work lol (zopiclone) so i just took the Clonnazapan, took more than i expected but got me to this point... I suffer from adhd so i've been on zolft and clonzapann for 10 years... i've done the whole 3 days without taking pills before but this is the first time the anxetzy has been this bad...

thank you for your advice! there is no turning back for me right now... what are your thought? my doctor told me that since i was on oxi Ir the WD won't be as hard after the first day or 2 because it was IR and it stays in your system for a much shorter time than the normal oxy.. any truth to this?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
(male)

romeo1104 HB User

UPDATE

ok so i'm now at 30 hours... last night was pretty hard but today ( during the day) has been ok...

this is how I'm feeling rigth now 30 hours after my last RX of OXY IR 5MG

1) Tiered - feel like a got hit by a train...
2) some body acks , took a advil and it has helped
3) not to much anzeity - last night i had a lot... today I haven't taken any clonnazzapan and I've been up since 7AM...
4) I can't decribe this feeling but maybe someone here can... It's like my heard goes into a slow motion ( brain) and I have to stay in one spot for it to pass... it last for 5 seconds...

Old 07-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey Romeo

All sounds about right with what is happening to you. For me, the anxiety was probably the worse. I would have periods of unstoppable crying. These were the times when some kind of physical motion would help most... a walk, sweeping floors, anything to distract the mind. I would play Solitaire for hours sometimes.

Like you, I often found myself standing stock still, in a daze. I don't know the physiological explanation for this.... guess I always assumed it was the brain somehow adjusting itself to the change.

Hoping all works out for you
reach

Old 07-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
(male)

romeo1104 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachout View Post
Hey Romeo

All sounds about right with what is happening to you. For me, the anxiety was probably the worse. I would have periods of unstoppable crying. These were the times when some kind of physical motion would help most... a walk, sweeping floors, anything to distract the mind. I would play Solitaire for hours sometimes.

Like you, I often found myself standing stock still, in a daze. I don't know the physiological explanation for this.... guess I always assumed it was the brain somehow adjusting itself to the change.

Hoping all works out for you
reach
Hi Rachout... Thanks again for the reply.. how long did the Anxeity last? as well as the dizzyness?

I started take these meds after 10 years of doing all the normal Mirgain treatments, 10 meds plus nerve blocks and botox treatment... so my biggest worrie was not coming off these pills but what would happen when i get more Migrain pain as these are the only things that helped and and made me function...

but I think being smart about it and saying it's been almost 2 years - get off them for a few months and see how i do with the pain...

tomorrow will be 2 days since my last pill Hope I feel better by day 3...
thanks again for your post

Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
(male)

romeo1104 HB User

Thank you for your comment.... when i wake up tomorrow it will be day 2.... I'm happy and looking forward to it! my only issue is that I'm worried about getting my mirgans back...

think about it - in 10 years i tried over 10 medications, then went to 2 nuros... 2 MRI'S Nerve Blocks and Botox treatment... only after 10 years when i was 31 did i start these polls... truth is it was the only thing that ever took away the pain... I'm not stopping the pills because i feel additiced , i'm just stopping because I think it's always a smart thing to do and take a step back and see where the pain is 2 years later... maybe it's not the right reason I don't know...

Nock on wood I haven't had really bad Withdrawl.... Sleeping is hard and Aziext but that's pretty much it... I'm more worried about the weather tomorrow as it's going to Rain in Toronto Canada ( where i live) and the weather is one of my triggers....

I've heard so many people tell me so many things... but in 10 years taking around 14 meds, stopping all meds , I don't drink , 2 Nuros, Nerve Blocks and Botox ( WHICH HURTS LIKE HELL)....I'm scared of having to live in pain

Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
(male)

romeo1104 HB User

UPDATE -
So I'm now past 2 days and on the first hour of starting day 3...

I feel pretty good today truth be told... the first night my aniziety was at a 10 out of 10... last night 5 out of 10....

My DR called me up last night around 9PM as i left him a message ( he is an amazing guy) and I told him what the issues were... We talked alot and I told him about posting online... he said it's VERY hard to put myself in anyones shoes as the USA and Canada are very diffrenet... IE in canada the MAX dosage for the pill i take is 20MG in the USA it can be 100... he also read a study to me that in the states only 15% of doctors give out the IR of OXY - IR stays in your system for only a few hours instead of the 12 hours or ER... Very smart guy...

But i'm so happy for the all the amazing support on this website!!! I just want to make it to 4 days... so I'm half way there and lets hope the next 2 days are a little better....

current WD
a little anzity
LOL I have gas ... haha ( since i started)
the Clomandi makes me a little light headed

but that's it for now... I will keep everyone updated tomorrow...

Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
(male)

romeo1104 HB User

My Trigger for Migrains is the weather... so when there is a change if 5-7 Degress i get very SICK and the pain is awful, bring me to an ER awful for days which is why 4 doctors decided this was the only route for me after 10 years of losing my life... Today I'm sick - the weather is awful and my head hurts, my stomic hurts... i've been lying down for 4 hours now... it's just an awful feeling - they say the weather will be beter tomorrow so I will have to tuff it out till then i guess

Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
(female)

Kylekat HB User

Change in Barometric pressure is a trigger for many of us with migraines. Now that your resetting your brain's pain center by detoxing from the narco's...it might be a good time to try a preventative/triptan combo and see if you can get some relief.

Take care,

KK

Chronic Pain 25+ years
30+ surgeries to date.
BiPolar 24 years
Connective Tissue Disease
Advanced Osteoarthritis & MS
Cluster Migraines & Seizure Disorder
MRSA

Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
(male)

romeo1104 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylekat View Post
Change in Barometric pressure is a trigger for many of us with migraines. Now that your resetting your brain's pain center by detoxing from the narco's...it might be a good time to try a preventative/triptan combo and see if you can get some relief.

Take care,

KK
Thanks for the reply. I tried the preventing stuff for 10 years before I ever took a pain killer.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #14
(female)

Yvonnenosleep HB User

Good for you for wanting to stop the pain pills. I'm on day 16 clean after going to a detox center for 3 days. I checked my self out and continued the same meds I was given at the center it was hell. I still can't sleep at night. I took klonopin and it kept me up all night and made my body ache. It sounds like you're determined so you should have no problem. Have a friend or loved one stay with u for the first 3-5 days that's when you'll fell the worst. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
(female)

tc3323 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnenosleep View Post
Good for you for wanting to stop the pain pills. I'm on day 16 clean after going to a detox center for 3 days. I checked my self out and continued the same meds I was given at the center it was hell. I still can't sleep at night. I took klonopin and it kept me up all night and made my body ache. It sounds like you're determined so you should have no problem. Have a friend or loved one stay with u for the first 3-5 days that's when you'll fell the worst. Good luck.
I hope all is going well with your recovery... my thoughts are with u.
I had a friend that stopped cold turkey last may 2012 , my friend is a recovering addict from roxy's... plz hold strong it's not gonna be easy

Closed Thread