It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
(female)

CALEIGHGrl HB User
Question Morphine withdrawal

I am on prescribed M.S. Contin 100mg 3 x a day and was wondering would I get severe withdrawal if I cut it down to once a day?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
(female)

Kylekat HB User
Re: Morphine withdrawal

Hi,

Yes if you cut it by 1/3 you'll probably get pretty significant withdrawal your taper needs to be slower than that. 300 mgs a day is a pretty big dose. Reducing it by 50 mgs. a week for 2 weeks would be much safer. So you'd take 2 1/2 pills a day for 2 weeks, then 2 pills a day for 2 weeks then 1 1/2 pills for 2 weeks, etc. That's still a pretty big taper, but unless your Dr. will RX you smaller mg pills it will be hard to cut the pills into even 1/3's.

Take care,

KK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Morphine withdrawal

Hi There CALEIGHGrl

Welcome to the board.

I agree with Kylecat that the cut you plan is a harsh cut to make and some pretty harsh withdrawal symptoms will find their way quickly to you. No way around that. I think making your way down slowly would be hard, but nowhere near as dramatic as a huge cut. In my opinion, making a drastic cut as you are thinking of making may very well lead you into Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). In detoxing, it is a lot of physical symptoms that get is... diarrhea, restless legs, sleeplessness, etc. In PAWS comes the emotional, psychological symptoms. Everyone has some degree of Paws after detoxing, but a drastic cut could easily lead to acute problems after that can last a really long time.

I did a long, slow taper off Oxycodone. Tried to never make a cut of more than 10-20% at a time, and only from one dose at a time. Even with that, I had some rough days. I made cuts, on average, every 10 days or so. When I felt leveled out somewhat, I made a cut to another dose. It took me months and months to taper. However, I had been on opiates years and years. The opiates just insinuate themselves into our brains and bodies.

In the end, we each decide the best way to cut down or cut out opiate use. I am glad you are smart enough to ask questions before you start. Whatever you decide, we are here to support you.

Best wishes
reach

Closed Thread