It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
(female)

meepmup HB User
blacking out while drinking

Hey I have been googling a lot recently because in the past 6 months I've been blacking out quite frequently. 80% of the time when I drink, I end up completely blacking out losing all memory and its gotten to the point where I'm a bit scared and it isn't funny anymore.

Let me give you the low down:

I am 21, I live in Europe, so the alcohol culture is a little different here than in the US. I only really started drinking at 18 when i went to university and it was the normal, young "in university" binge drinking on weekends. I had quite a bit of tolerance and I could drink 4-5 shots and be good for the night and I wouldn't black out at all. Then I kind of stopped going out on weekends second semester of my freshman year until second semester of sophomore year. So for a year I only went out and got drunk a handful of times. From when I was 18-20 I would get quite drunk, intentionally, but would rarely black out.

Then I moved to Scandinavia for half a year where hard alcohol is very expensive. There I began to drink more often, but it was always more casual and it was often just beer. I would maybe drink 2-3 shots before going out but then when I was out I was drinking only beer.

Now I have been back home and I have gone back to drinking hard alcohol and I have been blacking out what seems like every time I drink. It happens really quickly and it seems like once I start I don't really keep track and then I drink even more which I think is the problem.

Writing this now, it seems obvious when I break it down. I think I am drinking too much, too fast, and too much hard alcohol. I guess I should just watch myself. Its only been 3 years since I started really drinking, and 1 of them I didn't drink much at all.

I don't like blacking out and its really scary waking up all of the sudden. I look forward to when I'm older and binge drinking isn't a social thing anymore, but as of right now I am in university and I don't want to cut it out entirely.

I'm still kind of learning my limits around drinking and I know it takes time. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Last edited by meepmup; 07-21-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: blacking out while drinking

Hi,

I suggest you visit A.A.
They are not just there to help Alcoholics. They are there to help and advice people just like you.
It is best if you take control of this now before it takes control of you.
Don't get me wrong I am not for one moment suggesting that you are an Alcoholic but drinking to the point of passing out is leading to a larger problem and you need to get this under control with the correct help.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi meepmup

Glad to meet you and glad to see you are expressing some concern about your drinking.

Meepmup, young friend, if you are drinking to the point of blacking out, then I am telling you, gently, that you are an alcoholic. If the drinking is so uncontrolled that it reaches the point of blacking out, it truly is serious.

By definition, alcoholism is a chronic and often progressive disease that includes problems controlling your drinking, being preoccupied with alcohol, continuing to use alcohol even when it causes problems This is you, Friend. Like diabetes is a disease that means sugar is a no-no, alcoholism is a disease that means booze is a no-no.

I am calling you out on this without reservation because I think you are at a crucial point and need help now. No judgment here, just honesty. Honest is what you also need to be with yourself.

Binge drinking, or any drinking at all, is a "college thing" only if you chose it to be. It is a lame excuse. Thousands of young people go through college and do not imbibe. There is an old saying in the USA that every mom has used on her kid: If your friend is jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge, does that mean you have to, too?" I am sure you get the drift. :-)

You stated that you look forward to getting older when binge drinking at college isn't a "social thing anymore." Meepmup, Your drinking may end up being the end of your college career if you keep progressing this way. Worse yet, how sad it would be to finish college and then let a career go by the wayside because alcohol has become your life.

Please, get help now. Soloflex suggested AA meetings. A great idea. I would add to that some personal counseling with either a Certified Clinical Social worker or a psychologist. Drinking to the point of blacking out is a kind of self-medication. Find out why you feel the need to do this.

Really hoping to hear from you again.
With hope always
reach

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
solofelix (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
(female)

meepmup HB User

I guess I should be more clear. The nights I black out are the nights I plan on getting really drunk. There are plenty of nights in between when I drink casually and don't black out. My concern is when the plan is to binge drink and the goal is to get wasted, I black out most of the time. All of the other times I can drink and I'm fine and I can control it. I guess my real question is: suggestions on how to binge drink more safely. The obvious answer is that you can't but I'm still hoping for suggestions.

I know it's quick for me to "deny" I am an alcoholic, but I do drink quite often without negative effects. I don't obsess over drinking and I don't drink unless I am going out or already am out. I just have problems when I plan on binge drinking and I go over board. Does this make more sense now?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

meepmup HB User

Also- writing it down, I think the transition from beer to liquor hasn't really clicked in my head. I keep thinking I can drink the same amount, but in reality, liquor is much stronger. I guess it's more out of habit "have these many drinks" without realizing the strengths and differences of the drinks. My own naïveté I suppose.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi meepmup

Well, meepmup, I read your words and while I can understand them, I can not relate to them at all. Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. I wish you well in life.

reach

Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepmup View Post
I guess my real question is: suggestions on how to binge drink more safely. The obvious answer is that you can't but I'm still hoping for suggestions.
Here's the thing, your liver can only process so much alcohol per hour, when you drink too quickly your liver can not keep up and your blood alcohol level rises to a point where your brain function is compromised, that's why you blackout, because your brain cannot function properly anymore. It's that simple.

Also, when you notice your tolerance to alcohol has increased, it's actually a bad sign, because it means your liver is now generating higher levels of enzymes to cope, and that taxes the liver, so even though it might seem like your body can deal with alcohol better, it really means your liver is working harder to compensate for having to process excess amounts regularly.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
(female)

del1313 HB User

Thank you.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi meepmup,

I think you need to ask yourself first of all "Why do I need to binge drink"...
Is it because you need to keep in with the crowd, if so then it might be in your favour to seek out other friends with a more positive attitude to drinking.
If you continue like this you could find yourself with very much unwanted health problems in the future.
I'm not trying to frighten you but I have seen this happen and it's hard to get it under control, so I still say seek help,
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Closed Thread

Tags
binge drinking