It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2002, 01:12 PM   #1

Frankie HB User
Question Methadone Question

Hi, i am new to this board and have a improtant ?

I have been seeing a pain managment Dr. for multiple disks that are herniated in my back. He just switched my srcipt to Methadone.

Which is great because he does not know that i am a heroin addict and doing about 6 bags a day and want to get off of this.

What i am asking is how many of the Methadone pills do i take with a 6 bag habit? and also when do you take them? Is it once in the morning, once at night? or just once in the morning and that holds you to the next morning?

I do know someone who goes to a clinic to get his dose every morning, so i am assuming you take your one dose every morning and that's it?

What i am asking though is what would be a good start for a 6 bag a day habit? How many pills and when to take them. See, he gave me them for pain and want's me to take one every 4 hours, but i know for detoxing this is not the way it is done. Correct?

BTW - He gave me the 10mg. Methadone pills. Do you just stop the dope one day when you wake and start in with your dose, and than continue every morning? Which i am asking what would be a good start?

Any help anyone can give, i would greatly appreciate.

Thank you so much in advance,

Frankie

Old 06-16-2002, 01:18 PM   #2

aideen HB User
Wink

Hi Frankie-welcome to this board. I'm afraid my post will be a bit of a disappointment to you as I know nothing about heroin and methadone but you will get great advice from others here. My "area of expertise" is alcoholism and co-dependency!!!
What I did want to say to you, was that you should consider talking to your doc or if you are not comfortable with him/her, change doc. It's important with any medication that you can trust your doctor with your medical history, etc. Otherwise, how can he help you?!
Good luck and wait for the experts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2002, 01:35 PM   #3

Frankie HB User
Thank you for the warm welcome Aideen.

I will be waiting patiently as i can't wait to start getting off of this "junk",

F

Old 06-16-2002, 01:39 PM   #4

Squirrel-1 HB User
You really should not attempt to do this alone. Have you gaven the thought of talking to your Dr. about your addiction and trying to get Methadone for your addiction. I would discourage trying to attempt a do-it-yourself-detox-program, being that I am not only an addict but also a RN I would suggest to you not to do this. The majority of Doctor's are open to prescribing Methadone for addiction. I detoxed off Heroin a year ago, I was gaven the option of Methadone however, I thought that is was just prolonging my addiction. I wanted to get clean from all drugs. I am not saying I agree or disagree with Methadone, I am just saying it wasn't for me.

Old 06-16-2002, 08:49 PM   #5

jroeglin HB User
#1 your doctor should be made aware that you have a heroin habit.
#2 If you want to use methadone to detox off heroin, you need to go to a clinic and do it the right way.
#3 Being on 10mgs of methadone a day is not going to stop you from using heroin. In fact, methadone is prescribed because it is supposed to stop cravings for heroin, and it is supposed to stop you from getting high if you do use heroin. Problem with that, people have to use more heroin to get the high, (because their methadone dose isn't correct, and they are still craving) and end up od'ing. That is such a risk!
#4 Do not try and detox yourself using methadone without help from a doctor. Mixing methadone and heroin can be fatal. Methadone can definitley help get you off heroin if you do it the right way. Trying to do it on your own is VERY risky. Like I said, if you have a 6 bag a day habit, 10mgs of methadone is probably not going to stop you from using. (my b/f was on 100mgs of methadone a day, and he was still using heroin along with it) It will just make it worse for you. Please let your doctor know what is going on. I am not saying go to a clinic and get on a methadone program if you are not ready, but please don't do this without help. They say that the "normal" dose to stop cravings for most people on methadone is around 80mgs a day, so you can see what I am saying about the 10mgs thing. Please Please Please becareful. Check out some of the methadone sites to get more information! Good luck!

Old 06-16-2002, 09:46 PM   #6

Frankie HB User
NO, NO. I don't plan on using the heroin and Methadone together. I want to wake up in the morning and not do anymore heroin and start my methadone.

Old 06-17-2002, 06:23 AM   #7

Frankie HB User
Well i did my last bag last night and this morning am trying the methadone. I took 3 10mg. pills and do not feel to much better. I still have some of the withdrawl syptoms. Can i take more than 3?

Old 06-17-2002, 10:50 AM   #8

Squirrel-1 HB User
I think what what Jroeglin is saying , and I may be wrong, is that the required amount of Methadone is not going to stop the intense cravings you will have when you start withdrawing and you will be tempted to do Heroin so, in fact, you will forced by physical need to mix Methadone and Heroin which could cause a overdose.I urge you not to do this and to go back to the Dr. and ask for the required amount of Methadone to come off Heroin UNDER DOCTORS SUPERVISION. There is a structured program designed to bring off Heroin in the safest possible way.

Old 06-17-2002, 11:49 AM   #9

Frankie HB User
Thumbs up

I took two more when the 3 wasn't working and i'm feeling very good actually. So 50mg. every morning might be the case here. Lets hope so.

Old 06-17-2002, 12:30 PM   #10

Squirrel-1 HB User
I don't know if you have ever tried to detox off Heroin before, but the first and secound day you feel alright but then it will hit you. I am curious as to why you seem so determined to do this unsupervised? Why do you seem so closed minded to go on a Doctor supervised program? I am just curious....I may be wrong on my assumptions..it is easy to misunderstands people's meanings over the net. 50 mgs may work today but, when you get into the heavy withdrawal it may not, or you may be like me. I detoxed fairly easy. Mind you it was not a picnic, it hurt but I handled it better than some people I saw. I just thought positively and tried to not fight it but work with it. If I could suggest something....try and make it through, if you use it gets worse but, if you stick with withdrawing it gets better. Like I said the first day is ok, the secound day is alright but, the third day it starts to get to be a struggle. Since, it sounds like you are determined to do this if you need to share I will be more than willing to share also. I am home from work today, so I will check the board every so often. "What we can't do alone,we can do together."

[This message has been edited by Squirrel-1 (edited 06-17-2002).]

Old 06-17-2002, 12:47 PM   #11

Frankie HB User
Thumbs up

I took two more when the 3 wasn't working and i'm feeling very good actually. So 50mg. every morning might be the case here. Lets hope so.

Old 06-17-2002, 02:20 PM   #12

aideen HB User
Thumbs up

Hi Frankie – it’s me again. Just reading your posts to see if you got any responses. What struck me, is that you don’t seem to be listening to the advice – for whatever reasons – about going to a doctor. Why is this something you are determined not to do? As I already said, I know nothing about heroin, etc except for a drug talk we have regularly at work (to educate the trainees on the programme in the training centre).
From what I do know, I think, you are playing with your life and health. You sound perhaps still in the phase of doing it alone, like my ex-boyfriend is with the alcohol and, despite good intentions, it doesn’t work. Tell us why don’t you feel comfortable going to a doctor or clinic for advice in the quantities of meths to take? It sounds terribly dangerous what you are doing – perhaps as dangerous as “just” taking the heroin. Be careful. I wouldn’t trust getting specific medical advice on the Net as everyone is different.

Old 06-17-2002, 07:18 PM   #13

jroeglin HB User
Squirrel, you were right on what I was saying. The 10mgs he is prescribed are not going to take away the cravings, and when those cravings hit, he will have to use more heroin to feel better. And, taking 3 more at a time, or 2 more at a time, is just asking for it. Methadone and heroin mixed can be deadly, period. If coming off heroin was that easy, nobody would be addicted. I hope to God that a doctor gets involved.

Old 06-18-2002, 06:22 AM   #14

Frankie HB User
I am not taking any heroin. I cut it out all together! I am strictly on the meth.

Old 06-18-2002, 08:59 AM   #15

jroeglin HB User
Frankie, if you are not taking any heroin right now, then good for you. The problem is, coming off methadone can be worse then coming off heroin. How many mgs of meth are you taking a day? You can od on meth just like heroin, so please becareful. And, if you do start craving, please don't use heroin on top of it. I think that when you finish your meth prescription, you are going to need to tell your doctor because you are either going to go into meth withdrawals, or you are going to start using again. Methadone is not easy to get off once your on it. Good luck to ya!

Closed Thread