It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2002, 06:27 PM   #1

YesterdaysChild HB User
Post Muscle relaxers safe to be addicted to?

I've been having some terrible spasms/vibrations in the back of my neck so the doc gave me some muscle relaxers. They don't really help stop the vibrations but they sure help calm me down and feel better. He told me to take 3 day, they're 10 mg each. I was just wondering, if I took it for stress or if I started taking them just to feel better, would it cause me to be addicted or not? Are muscle relaxers safe for long term use? I just feel so much calmer after I take em.

[This message has been edited by YesterdaysChild (edited 09-27-2002).]

Old 10-15-2002, 11:11 AM   #2

**dolphin** HB User
Hi, sorry no body got with you sooner. I have been glancing through this site and have posted in a few other areas, but have not posted here yet. I do have to say that I totally understand what you are saying. I am in the same situation. I can be totally stressed out and tensed up and take a Soma and feel so much better. I do have to warn you though, that it can lead to bad situations. It started off as needing them for my back injury, then I started taking them as you described and got totally addicted to it. I would run out of my prescription so I would smuggle some from my husband. That almost ruined my marraige. I lost any form of self control that I had. I have been blessed to have a husband that has stayed with me through all this. He has his issues as we all do, but he has stood by me and all my sneaking smuggling. After all that, I still have to take them for my muscle spasms, but take them as I should. But that devil is always on my shoulder when I get stressed out. For me, it will always be a constant struggle. I do good for a long time and then bam, right back to point A. So I wish you luck with your pain. You know as well as I do, it's hard to manange a household with 2 kids and all the motherly duties, if you are in pain. It is confusing and bitter sweet. I like the pain relief, but hate the fact of having to take a pill just to feel no pain. So after going on and on here, I just wanted to warn you. Thanks for listening to me blab.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2002, 11:00 PM   #3

De Lou HB User
Hi- I am sorry I thought I had replied to your post. I was wondering what type of muscle relaxers you take as there are some that are more addictive than others. Physically that is. Such as Clonazepam as it has an ingredient can't thinkof the name but its in Valuim. I take it for MS along with baclofen at the same time at night. During the day I take just the Clonazepam along with other pain pills. I saw my neuro today and he has me on it 3 x's a day but I have increased it myself seems as if i need more. Just thought I would share. It is in class 4 for substance abuse which is not up there as you can see.
DE

Closed Thread