It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2002, 08:01 PM   #1
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
Unhappy Effexor Withdrawals- Need HELP Now!!

My fiance was on Effexor, and he is currently on his way down off it. It's a long story, but he no longer wants to be on it and needs to go through the withdrawals. The doctor tapered his dose to this point, but that's no longer possible. He's on the lowest dose possible, so from that dose to zero is the smallest jump he can make.

I need to know if anyone has any tips to make the withdrawals easier. He's suffering from chills, nausea, abdominal pain, insecurity, dizziness, and an out-of-body feeling. If you have any experience with withdrawals of any kind, I would appreciate your input! Please HELP US, if you can!!!

Old 12-09-2002, 08:08 PM   #2

Euphoria HB User
Why is he having withdrawels if he is being tapered?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2002, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
Because the lowest dose he can go on is 35mg. The doctor said the pills don't get any smaller than that. So, he cut them in half for a few days. Now, he has to make the jump from 17.5mg to 0mg on his own. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2002, 04:25 PM   #4

Euphoria HB User
o.k I typed a bunch of stuff that I have done for withdrawal to opioids because it sounds like he is really sufferring a lot of the same things but then I decided to look into it a little more before giving my 2 cents and I'm glad I did. I knew that no one was to d/c any antidepressant drug cold turkey but didn't really know exactly why and so I went to [url="http://www.rxlist.com"]www.rxlist.com[/url] and looked up Effexor. I was startled because the withdrawals were staggerring. I can totally see why you are so worried!!!! What did the Dr. tell him about the lenghth of time, anything? From what I gathered there is at minimum a 7 day detox for him even from the small dose. I hope he doesn't have to suffer that long. Can he take any kind of benzo like xanax to help calm himself a little? I know this sounds weird but drinking a huge amount of (or taking in pill form) of orange juice really does help lower blood pressure so if his bp is up that could be something he could start chugging right now.

Just for a little easier access for you.

Discontinuing Venlafaxine Hydrochloride

Immediate Release Tablets: When discontinuing venlafaxine HCl after more than 1 week of therapy, it is generally recommended that the dose be tapered to minimize the risk of discontinuation symptoms. Patients who have received venlafaxine HCl for 6 weeks or more should have their dose tapered gradually over a 2-week period.

Extended Release Capsules: When discontinuing venlafaxine HCl (extended release) after more than 1 week of therapy, it is generally recommended that the dose be tapered to minimize the risk of discontinuation symptoms. In clinical trials with venlafaxine HCl (extended release), tapering was achieved by reducing the daily dose by 75 mg at 1 week intervals. Individualization of tapering may be necessary. While the discontinuation effects of venlafaxine HCl (extended release) have not been systematically evaluated in controlled clinical trials, a retrospective survey of new events occurring during taper or following discontinuation revealed the following six events that occurred at an incidence of at least 3% and for which the incidence for venlafaxine HCl (extended release) was at least twice the placebo incidence: dizziness, dry mouth, insomnia, nausea, nervousness, and sweating.

To me it sounds like they don't know a whole heck of a lot of what to expect and that scares me and I am sure it does you all too.

How is he doing right now?

[This message has been edited by Euphoria (edited 12-10-2002).]

Old 12-10-2002, 05:04 PM   #5

woodstock HB User
Hi Anon,

Yes, I totally agree, tapering from this type of medication is very hard and potentialy dangerous.

If you would like to post your email address (do you have a public one?) I can offer some more help to you.

Woody

Old 12-10-2002, 05:04 PM   #6

mydog8mybrain HB User
Hey kiddo. Keep looking at previous posts. I have seen several folks post withdrawal aids on here. I noticed one lady mentioned Vicks Dayquill. It seemed to help her.

Good luck to you. I'm so sorry that your mate had to do this dance with the Devil. Hope everything comes out OK.
Bruce

------------------
Those who dispense tough love to their children now should be prepared to receive same back from them in 30 years.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
(female)

heathu1983 HB User
Exclamation Re: Effexor Withdrawals- Need HELP Now!!

I am starting to wean off of the effexor now and truly am afraid of what is going to happen. I have heard nothing but bad news about it. I was just wondering when did the withdrawals start and how bad did they get?

Old 11-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User
Re: Effexor Withdrawals- Need HELP Now!!

Wow!!! This post blew me away. I was on effexor for about 2 months. I was given it to help when my primary was trying to “taper me” from the opiates. I was never on anti-dep meds before. Well, after about 10 days of being off the pills, I thought “I don’t need these anti dep meds now”. I honestly didn’t think I needed them. I was never a depressed person and had no reason to take the meds now. I just quit taking them. I think this explains why I had such a terrible panic attack in the grocery store. I was w/d’ing from the effexor AND the opiates. Uggggh. Thanks for the information guys!!!!

Old 11-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
(female)

Esph4:32 HB User

I actually withdrew off Effexor long before there was much known about it. It was 1998 or 1999, not too sure, but it was HELL. Worse than what I am going through now. My MD was gracious and prescribed me ativan for anxiety, compazine for vomiting and immodium for diarrhea...It took 7 days (for the violent symptoms and psychosis===my Mom said I was talking to people who were not there. I don't remember much. I was still a zombie for a while after. Exercising really helped me after that. My mother had to come live with us for a week (God bless her) and help with the kids...I was married at the time..anyway, How is it going?

EFFEXOR is horrible and unless you will be on it the rest of your life I would suggest not ever taking it. Only based on my experience anyway...I went cold turkey from 17.5 mg too!
Take Care, Katrina

Old 11-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User

Hey guys. My wife was recommended effexor for depression. She has been using welbutrin and has tried a couple before, lexapro and some other drug. Thes have not been working well. Any suggestions on what else might work for her?

Old 11-10-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
(female)

Esph4:32 HB User

What are her main depressive symptoms?
Ones I would not recommend are:
Effexor
Paxil
Any Mayo-inhibitors

Wellbutrin can work well for those who don't respond to SSRIs (prozac, lexapro, etc)...it is not an SSRI, it does other activity in the brain. It works on norepinephrine and dopamine receptors....

What dose is she on?
Sometimes the "straight" Wellbutrin vs. XR or SR work better 3 X a day...
Say 75mg 3 times a day.

Does she suffer anxiety? Klonopin (small doses if she would not abuse it) added to Wellbutrin balances me out..I was on that combo for many years and then went "off" it because I thought is was not working...well I found out it is the right combo for me.
Hope this helps, Katrina

Old 11-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User

Hey there. Thanks for the information. Its hard to explain. For example, if she didn’t tell me she was feeling like this. I would never be able to figure it out. Every once in a while she gets a “weird feeling”. Just the other night, I knew she was feeling depressed. I sat down and just let her know that I was there for her. She said that its so hard to explain but the depression feelings have lasted for about a week. She feels isolated and alone. Just feels very depressed. She has been diagnosed with a depression diorder.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
(female)

MsMinn HB User

Tim,
I was put on celexa 6 years ago for dysthymic depression (might be the same as your wife has?). It's basically not enjoying the stuff you used to enjoy and everything is grey, but it's not debilitating and is easy to "hide" if you don't know the person well. Anyway...the celexa really helped for 5 years or so until this last spring I was having anxiety issues so they switched me to lexapro.
Has she tried any of the herbal supplements like Sam-e? Yoga? Can she get to a good counselor she trusts? (That has been KEY for me)
If I had it to do over I would have never gone on an AD. I would have tried every natural path possible. Now I feel like I will be on it for life because my brain has no doubt adapted to "needing" it.
But then....I guess I'm kind of in an anti-drug mood these days!
You are a great guy to try to understand her depression...we depressives know it's not easy for you happy folks:-)
Minn

Old 11-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User

Thanks Minn. I think she is beyond trying any of the otc stuff now. She has anxiety also and take xanax for that. She prob takes 2 or 3 pills of the 1mg per week. When we talk about it, she says that there is no way she can explain how she is feeling and how I could relate. I do agree with that. We are currently going to marriage counseling now and really like the lady. Maybe we should ask her if she knows of anyone good that Maura can talk with. Thanks for the info and advice.
Tim

Old 11-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #15
(female)

MsMinn HB User

Hey what about Cymbalta? That's a newer one on the market.
Hey you might check out the anxiety board. There's some discussion on AD's over there too.

Closed Thread