It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 02:28 AM   #1

Jen2end HB User
Post Is Addison's disease hereditary?

Hi,

I have been trying to find out if Addison's is hereditary. My father passed away from complications due to Addison's (diagnosed way too late). Nobody has ever been able to tell me if it is hereditary and I haven't been able to find an answer in all my online searching.

Any information you can give me is appreciated.

Thank you,

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 11:20 AM   #2

PVS HB User
Smile

Nope- not hereditary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 11:26 AM   #3

Jen2end HB User
Thank you very much! That is good to know.

Jen

Old 10-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #4

HeatherW HB User
Jen it depends on the cause of the Addisons. I had hyperaldostronism and both my adrenals were removed to cure the severe hypertention. My daughter has the same genetic hyperaldostronism and we are currently scheduling surgery for her as well. So Addisons is technically not inherrited but hyperaldo is and the treatment for this particular kind causes addisons. I would reccomend that you find out what caused his addisons because many diseases of the adrenals are in fact heretary(sp) HeatherW.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:57 PM   #5

Jen2end HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherW:
Jen it depends on the cause of the Addisons. I had hyperaldostronism and both my adrenals were removed to cure the severe hypertention. My daughter has the same genetic hyperaldostronism and we are currently scheduling surgery for her as well. So Addisons is technically not inherrited but hyperaldo is and the treatment for this particular kind causes addisons. I would reccomend that you find out what caused his addisons because many diseases of the adrenals are in fact heretary(sp) HeatherW.

Heather,

Thank you for your response. I don't know if I will ever be able to find out what caused my father's Addison's because it was never diagnosed before he went comatose and eventually died. My grandmother actually told the doctors to test him for Addison's disease when they couldn't figure out what was wrong. This was in 1986. I will look at the autopsy reports again, but I don't think there was anything that mentioned cause of Addison's.

Thanks again,

Jen

Old 10-06-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
(female)

gettin' better HB User
From what I have read (and I am not an expert, but have read a lot on the Web), Addison's itself isn't genetically inherited, but sometimes the tendency for endocrine problems shows up in the family later. For example, your dad could have Addison's, and you or your child could develop a thyroid condition. Or everyone could be just fine. It certainly doesn't mean you or your children will develop Addison's. For more information, see "Living With Addison's Disease: An Owner's Manual for Individuals with the Disease" at [url="http://www.healinglight.com."]www.healinglight.com.[/url] (Click on Bulletin Board and the Owners Manual will come up on the right.)

Old 10-07-2003, 02:02 AM   #7

Jen2end HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by gettin' better:
From what I have read (and I am not an expert, but have read a lot on the Web), Addison's itself isn't genetically inherited, but sometimes the tendency for endocrine problems shows up in the family later. For example, your dad could have Addison's, and you or your child could develop a thyroid condition. Or everyone could be just fine. It certainly doesn't mean you or your children will develop Addison's. For more information, see "Living With Addison's Disease: An Owner's Manual for Individuals with the Disease" at [url="http://www.healinglight.com."]www.healinglight.com.[/url] (Click on Bulletin Board and the Owners Manual will come up on the right.)

Thanks gettin better, I appreciate your response to my question. I have bookmarked that site and will read it tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Jen

Closed Thread