It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 02:47 PM   #1

artistauthor HB User
Question weight gain with test results pointing to addisons

hello.
i was wondering if anyone else here had actually gained weight and then had test results come back as potentially addisons?
i have a long history of other auto immune problems - allergies, asthma, atopic dermititis, poly cystic ovarian, and have been taking synthroid for hypothryoid symptoms since oct. 03. before that i was taking cytomel for 6 years. all thyroid meds are at low doses but i still gained weight.
after nearly losing my mind over how i continually felt worse, my fiance helped me find a new dr.--he immediately set me up with an endo.
the full spectrum of tests were done. my thyroid appears to be 'normal' but i have symptoms of hypothryoid so they have kept me on meds. (and also talk of anti depressants were brought up. )
when i went this week to get new test results, the endo was going to put me on metformin (aka glucophage) for polycystic complications and refer me to a shrink--BUT one test came back as abnormal-- an adrenal test. all other adrenal urine tests (cushings)taken were within normal range. but the bloodwork is pointing to addisons.
i am now scheduled to have an ACTH test in a week. but as the endo told me, Addisons isnt known to make people gain weight. I would be the "first" she has ever seen.
i feel confident that an answer is out there. and the endo says she is taking my history into consideration. but has this happened to anyone?
any input would be more than appreciated!
thank you,
artistauthor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 07:23 AM   #2

gertie HB User
Re: weight gain with test results pointing to addisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistauthor
hello.
i was wondering if anyone else here had actually gained weight and then had test results come back as potentially addisons?
i have a long history of other auto immune problems - allergies, asthma, atopic dermititis, poly cystic ovarian, and have been taking synthroid for hypothryoid symptoms since oct. 03. before that i was taking cytomel for 6 years. all thyroid meds are at low doses but i still gained weight.
after nearly losing my mind over how i continually felt worse, my fiance helped me find a new dr.--he immediately set me up with an endo.
the full spectrum of tests were done. my thyroid appears to be 'normal' but i have symptoms of hypothryoid so they have kept me on meds. (and also talk of anti depressants were brought up. )
when i went this week to get new test results, the endo was going to put me on metformin (aka glucophage) for polycystic complications and refer me to a shrink--BUT one test came back as abnormal-- an adrenal test. all other adrenal urine tests (cushings)taken were within normal range. but the bloodwork is pointing to addisons.
i am now scheduled to have an ACTH test in a week. but as the endo told me, Addisons isnt known to make people gain weight. I would be the "first" she has ever seen.
i feel confident that an answer is out there. and the endo says she is taking my history into consideration. but has this happened to anyone?
any input would be more than appreciated!
thank you,
artistauthor
Good luck with getting some answers to your health problems. Weight gain was not my experience. I couldn't keep a pound on me and looked like I had anorexia when I was finally diagnosed. Since you have other health issues maybe that is what has caused the weight gain. I hope you don't have addison's, but I can understand the frustration of not feeling well and the doctor's not being able to figure out what is going on.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #3

artistauthor HB User

thank you for responding.
i went for my acth test on monday and i get the results tomorrow.
after the test i came back home and fell asleep. when i woke up it was like i was the incredible shrinking woman! the clothing i had on even fit me differently-- like i was going back to my old self. i felt so great. the best i have felt in so long (years). now it is thursday and things are almost back to all of my symptoms.. the weight gain nausea etc etc.
so now i wait until tomorrow afternoon!! my worst nightmare is that i will be told everything is normal. i hope that that is understandable. its just that i know how i felt and i know how i feel now. my fiance keeps telling me to calm down that the test wouldnt have been done unless something wasnt found to begin with.
sorry to babble to whomever reads this. im just nervous which isnt helping matters at all!
artistauthor

Old 02-06-2004, 07:52 AM   #4

HeatherW HB User

I do have some friends that I have met on other Addisons boards that have had the same symptoms. At least your doc is willing to accept the fact that it is a possibility. They also if I remember correctly had other auto-immune issues too. HeatherW

Closed Thread