It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 08:08 AM   #1

gertie HB User
How many of you have autoimmune addisons disease?

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone else has autoimmune addison's out there? Actually I have schmitts syndrome, with an hashimoto's hypothyroid too. Do any of you with autoimmune addison's have other autoimmune problems?

Old 02-17-2004, 10:23 AM   #2
(female)

gettin' better HB User
Re: How many of you have autoimmune addisons disease?

I do. I have secondary Addison's caused by my pituitary, which is not working due to autoimmune disease. I also have hypothyroid, type 1 diabetes, and no growth hormone, which I am currently taking by injection. They did two MRIs of my pit but found no tumors or other apparent causes, hence the diagnosis that it was autoimmune. This is not a fun boat to be in, but I am managing. Good luck to you. Are you primary or secondary Addison's?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 11:23 AM   #3

gertie HB User

I have primary addison's disease. My doctor has tested the heck out of me and believes that my addison's was caused by an autoimmune attack to my adrenal glands.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #4

karen in kentuc HB User

I'm primary Addisons/ Hypothroidism due to autoimmune.
Karen in Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertie
Hi:

I was wondering if anyone else has autoimmune addison's out there? Actually I have schmitts syndrome, with an hashimoto's hypothyroid too. Do any of you with autoimmune addison's have other autoimmune problems?

Old 02-18-2004, 01:44 PM   #5
(female)

pheesao HB User
Talking

Hi new to the board here. I have had primary Addison's for 15 yrs now. Actually have Schmitt's syndrome, with Hashimoto's Thyroid, type 1 diabetes,& aldosteronism. Had to have a complete hysterectomy due to Addison's. I can drink straight lemon juice and enjoy it. Other people cringe when they see me do that. I eat salt like normal people eat sugar. That's the aldosteronism doing that. I take florineff for that prob. I'm on a maintenance dose of corteff of 7 mg in the AM and 5 mg corteff in the PM. I take 225 mcg synthroid AND 50 mcg Cytomel for thyroid. Cytomel made a huge difference in fatigue, sleepiness, and the blahs.I actually have energy now! The diabetes is really type 1 1/2. A direct result of having Addison's. It is not normal diabetes and responds differently. If anyone is having blood sugar control probs and you are not on a sliding scale, check with your doc again, or get a new endo. Sliding scale is the only way to go with Addisons. I have had perfect control of my sugars for 3 years now. I had to get a doctor that was familiar with diabetes caused by Addison's.

The Following User Says Thank You to pheesao For This Useful Post:
seaddison (06-18-2012)
Old 02-19-2004, 06:46 AM   #6

gertie HB User

Hi Pheesao:

I have addisons/schmitts too. I have always wondered about my sugar though. I have been tested with a simple blood test and have been told I fall between normal limits, but if I eat anything sweet I have a reaction. The room swoons and I get a funny feeling in my stomach and don't feel for a few minutes. I seem to urinate alot at night too. Can you relate to this at all?

P.S. I am a lemon juice/pickle juice drinker too.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:48 AM   #7

HeatherW HB User

Just so you know that I did not just miss the post I am Primary by way of bilateral adrenalectomy and my daughter will be the same as of Friday of next week. We have a rare genetic condition that causes our adrenals to produce too much aldosterone which causes severe hypertention. The only "cure " is to cause Addisons disease. HeatherW

Last edited by HeatherW; 02-20-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:00 AM   #8

barry1598 HB User

Quote:
Hi:

undefined

undefined

Hi,
I have had Addison's for about 22 years.I also have Hypothyroid,Crohn's Disease,Osteoporosis.

Old 02-22-2004, 01:53 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User

Can I ask what schmitts syndrome is. I did a search and was unable to find a description. Thanks

Old 03-03-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Keraly HB User

I wondered what you mean when you talk of a sliding scale? It sounds as if it works well for you! My youngest son, age 10, was diagnosed in January with Diabetes Type I, but does not have Addison's. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #11

FLgirl253 HB User

Can I ask why would you get a complete hysterectomy from Addison's? I had a baby knowing I have Addison's.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #12
(female)

pheesao HB User

Quote:
Hi Pheesao:

I have addisons/schmitts too. I have always wondered about my sugar though. I have been tested with a simple blood test and have been told I fall between normal limits, but if I eat anything sweet I have a reaction. The room swoons and I get a funny feeling in my stomach and don't feel for a few minutes. I seem to urinate alot at night too. Can you relate to this at all?

P.S. I am a lemon juice/pickle juice drinker too.
Hi Gertie, Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I had a lovely stay in the hospital while enjoying a bit of bad health. (Read full blown crisis) Haven't done that in years. Sounds like you might need to talk with your endo and have a 3 hour gllucose tolerance test done, AFTER you take your morning steroids. That will tell you how your body handles the combo of steroids and food all at once. Sometimes you just need a bit of insulin in shot or pill form to handle the extra sugar that the steroids give you. I started on pills and was fine for many years that way. It did stop the 5-7 trips to the bathroom each night. Talk with you later. T.

Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 PM   #13
(female)

pheesao HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl253
Can I ask why would you get a complete hysterectomy from Addison's? I had a baby knowing I have Addison's.
Hi,
I ended up with the hysterectomy because in the long run, Addison's can affect all parts of your body that make hormones, including the female parts. Some of us end up having periods for 27 days out of 30 for 4-8 months and then nothing for 6 months and then have a period that lasts for 2 1/2 months straight. There's no endometriosis or anything wrong. It's just that the hormones send the wrong messages. With the periods like that, you are a target for constant pelvic infections, needing antibiotics, increased steroids, (which increases your weight) and a higher risk of crisis from the constant infections. As soon as you finish one infection, you get another withing a couple of weeks. It was easier and heathier for the hysterectomy, a total and complete one. The endo suggested it and I liked the idea. Best thing I ever did for my body. I have 11 children. Oldest is 30, youngest is 6. Talk with you later. T.

Old 03-23-2004, 05:16 PM   #14
(female)

pheesao HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keraly
I wondered what you mean when you talk of a sliding scale? It sounds as if it works well for you! My youngest son, age 10, was diagnosed in January with Diabetes Type I, but does not have Addison's. Thanks!
Hi
A sliding scale is when you take your blood sugar and then you take your insulin based on what the results are. If my blood sugar was 200 before meals, I would take 26 units. If it was 200 before bed, I would take 18 units of regular and 5 of NPH. Both the regular and NPH are sliding scale. I can't honestly see an endo giving a child a sliding scale. For regular diabetics, the endo can adjust them(generally) to take the same amounts every day. If your son is a "brittle" or hard to control diabetic, the endo could consider doing it. I'm a brittle with addison's, that's how I got my sliding scale. my A1c is 6.0 now. When I started sliding, it was 13.8. I'll never go back to the small doses each day at the same time. Sliding allows me to live a better life and have a great control of my blood sugars. It also allows for birthday parties and a small slice of cake now and then ) My sliding scale insulin doses were high cuz I had to account for the increase in blood sugar caused by steroids also. Your son wouldn't have that. prob. You can always ask. Worst the endo will do is say no. Talk to you later. T.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:56 PM   #15

Christina155 HB User

Hello,

I was diagnosed with hashimoto's in 4th grade (am now 37); my mom caught it as she had it, as well as my grandmother. I was formally diagnosed with fibromyalgia in the early 1990s; I'm beginning to wonder, though, if that was just the beginning of my current situation with adrenal insufficiency. (I'm still waiting for a formal diagnosis, but have all of the symptoms except the pigmentation; have actually read that people can be excessively pale, as well -- I would qualify in that case.)

Thanks for listening,
Christina

Quote:
Hi:

Closed Thread