It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stanislaus County, California
Posts: 14
pheesao HB User
Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone is taking cortisone shots at home? I have an ulcer caused by steroid use and my doc wants me to take solucortef (cortisone)shots at home. The HMO (Kaiser) is balking at it cuz apparently, I can harm someone with my shots if I give it to them, instead of myself. How did you handle the HMO? Is anyone really stupid enough to give someone else their steroids and do without? Anyone else with an ulcer caused by steroid use? How did you handle treatment until it healed? I take insulin shots so the doc is confident that I'll be able to self inject. We just can't get Kaiser to give me the drug to inject. Can't bear the thought of 2-3 weeks in the hospital just to get 2 shots a day while waiting for the ulcer to heal. If you guys don't have any ideas, that's where I'm going to end up. Think good thoughts. Talk with you later. T.
__________________
Pheesao

 
Old 03-23-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 342
WandaB HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Hi T, A good share of us with addisons carry our emergency kit which contains everything needed to give the solucortef shot in case of crisis. I have 2 kits with 2 vials in each. I belong to Kaiser also. I'm in Oregon. Where are you? Wanda


Quote:
Originally Posted by pheesao
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone is taking cortisone shots at home? I have an ulcer caused by steroid use and my doc wants me to take solucortef (cortisone)shots at home. The HMO (Kaiser) is balking at it cuz apparently, I can harm someone with my shots if I give it to them, instead of myself. How did you handle the HMO? Is anyone really stupid enough to give someone else their steroids and do without? Anyone else with an ulcer caused by steroid use? How did you handle treatment until it healed? I take insulin shots so the doc is confident that I'll be able to self inject. We just can't get Kaiser to give me the drug to inject. Can't bear the thought of 2-3 weeks in the hospital just to get 2 shots a day while waiting for the ulcer to heal. If you guys don't have any ideas, that's where I'm going to end up. Think good thoughts. Talk with you later. T.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stanislaus County, California
Posts: 14
pheesao HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WandaB
Hi T, A good share of us with addisons carry our emergency kit which contains everything needed to give the solucortef shot in case of crisis. I have 2 kits with 2 vials in each. I belong to Kaiser also. I'm in Oregon. Where are you? Wanda
Hi Wanda, I'm in Salida (Central) California. Kaiser refuses to gve me any vials. They say it is a legal problem and that Kaiser no longer gives out solucortef, even to Addison's people. My doc wanted me to take the shots at home for two weeks and then go back on pills cuz of the ulcer needing time to heal. Glad to hear that you are Kaiser. It gives me ammo to fight them. Thanks. T.
__________________
Pheesao

 
Old 03-24-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 342
WandaB HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

This is interesting. Think I will order a refill & see what happens!! Will let you know.

I realize you are needing the shots for a different reason now, but you should also have an emergency kit with you at all times in case of accident, injury, stomach flu or whatever that could cause a crisis!! I had to tell my endo that we were going camping several hours from medical help to get it!

You could type up a paper stating your endo (with his/her name) has refused to prescribe solucortef shot for your emergency kit & will be held responsible in case of your death if you are unable to reach help in time. Have him/her sign it!! Others have approached their endo this way & got the solucortef. Not sure what it did for their relationship with the endo, but what the heck, they weren't too bright anyway if they didn't want to provide what is necessary to protect our life!! Take care, Wanda


Quote:
Originally Posted by pheesao
Hi Wanda, I'm in Salida (Central) California. Kaiser refuses to gve me any vials. They say it is a legal problem and that Kaiser no longer gives out solucortef, even to Addison's people. My doc wanted me to take the shots at home for two weeks and then go back on pills cuz of the ulcer needing time to heal. Glad to hear that you are Kaiser. It gives me ammo to fight them. Thanks. T.

 
Old 03-24-2004, 07:22 PM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stanislaus County, California
Posts: 14
pheesao HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WandaB
This is interesting. Think I will order a refill & see what happens!! Will let you know.

I realize you are needing the shots for a different reason now, but you should also have an emergency kit with you at all times in case of accident, injury, stomach flu or whatever that could cause a crisis!! I had to tell my endo that we were going camping several hours from medical help to get it!

You could type up a paper stating your endo (with his/her name) has refused to prescribe solucortef shot for your emergency kit & will be held responsible in case of your death if you are unable to reach help in time. Have him/her sign it!! Others have approached their endo this way & got the solucortef. Not sure what it did for their relationship with the endo, but what the heck, they weren't too bright anyway if they didn't want to provide what is necessary to protect our life!! Take care, Wanda
Hi Wanda,
I tried telling the pharmacy and member services that I would be camping and was told that I couldn't go and that if I did, my problems would be my own fault. There is no way they will give any solucortef to anyone in my area. My doctor wrote the prescription and wrote the exception so that they would give it to me. They will send it to the local clinic and I can go there twice a day and get a shot at a $15.00 co-pay per trip! That's as far as we got today. Still taking the oral and doubling up in pain cuz it really aggravates the ulcer. I figure I can last til Sat night at this rate and then I'll have to check into the hospital. The ulcer won't let me stay out on oral meds much longer than that. It's Pharmacy that's refusing me the meds, not the doc. Member Services just parrots back what Pharmacy tells them. Pharmacy says that if I am sick enough to need daily shots, I'm too sick to do anything else. Fancy that! They didn't even know what Addison's was when I tried to tell them why I needed it. Kaiser is a real PAIN. Talk with you later. T.
__________________
Pheesao

 
Old 03-24-2004, 11:16 PM   #6
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 342
WandaB HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Hi T, This pain you are going through sounds awful. Are you taking the meds in between a meal? Sometimes covering the pill top & bottom helps.
Pretty strange that they are charging you a co-pay for a shot & then twice a day. A bit expensive for you. I assume you won't be seeing a doctor so why the charge!!!

Our Kaiser site has been down all evening for some reason so will try again in the morning to order a refill. Some people have been saying they couldn't get the solucortef so have been wondering if it is available through Kaiser. Wanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheesao
Hi Wanda,
I tried telling the pharmacy and member services that I would be camping and was told that I couldn't go and that if I did, my problems would be my own fault. There is no way they will give any solucortef to anyone in my area. My doctor wrote the prescription and wrote the exception so that they would give it to me. They will send it to the local clinic and I can go there twice a day and get a shot at a $15.00 co-pay per trip! That's as far as we got today. Still taking the oral and doubling up in pain cuz it really aggravates the ulcer. I figure I can last til Sat night at this rate and then I'll have to check into the hospital. The ulcer won't let me stay out on oral meds much longer than that. It's Pharmacy that's refusing me the meds, not the doc. Member Services just parrots back what Pharmacy tells them. Pharmacy says that if I am sick enough to need daily shots, I'm too sick to do anything else. Fancy that! They didn't even know what Addison's was when I tried to tell them why I needed it. Kaiser is a real PAIN. Talk with you later. T.

 
Old 03-25-2004, 01:03 AM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stanislaus County, California
Posts: 14
pheesao HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Wanda, They actually have me taking a slurry of Sucralfate to coat my stomach 4 times a day. That takes the pain from a 10 down to about a 5/6 when the steroids hit that open ulcer. But the steroids taken orally, actually prevent it from healing. That's why the doc thought the shots would do the trick.We bypass the stomach for a couple three weeks and the ulcer heals. The doc is so mad right now that she says she is tempted to admit me, just so I can get the shots twice daily and cost them a lot of money. I normally do not pay any co-pays unless I see the doc or go to the ER. They said I would have to pay the co-pay because I'm using resources that are not normally used by members and that's why the $30.00 a day charge ($15 times 2 trips a day). That works out to be between $580 -$1120, possibly more, depending on how many weeks it takes the ulcer to heal. The doc said she'd do another endoscope at the end of 2 weeks and every week thereafter until she saw it healed. So much easier to take the shots at home. I'd save a lot of time and gas money as well. With the price of gas, I'm miserly about driving now days. Let me know if you get yours filled. Might be worth my while to drive up there and get mine filled there. Talk with you later. T.
__________________
Pheesao

 
Old 03-25-2004, 06:21 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 185
HeatherW HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Pheesao,
I my experience the solu cortef shots are not very expensive to start with. Ususally they run about $6 a piece. Less than that copay. I give myself shots on occasion because of crisis but not daily. Sorry yourhaving problems. HEatherW

 
Old 03-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #9
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 342
WandaB HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Hi T, Finally ordered the solucortef from Kaiser. The site was still down yesterday so called it in. She said nothing about not being able to get it so will see what comes in the mail. They are usually very quick with the orders. Hope you are doing OK! Wanda

 
Old 03-26-2004, 06:12 PM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stanislaus County, California
Posts: 14
pheesao HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WandaB
Hi T, Finally ordered the solucortef from Kaiser. The site was still down yesterday so called it in. She said nothing about not being able to get it so will see what comes in the mail. They are usually very quick with the orders. Hope you are doing OK! Wanda
Hi Wanda,
I went to South San Francisco today and came home with 100 needles and 12 vials of Solucortef. Seems they have no problem filling it in the big city, just out in the sticks where I live. My husband is at the local pharmacy right now, giving them his two cents worth about making us drive 104 miles each way to get a drug the doc prescribed. He is steaming. SSF Kaiser says they don't know why they wouldn't fill it out here. My husband plans on telling the local Kaiser that they had better be ready with the refills when we need them and that we are going to bill them for the gas and time wasted going to SSF. We've done that in the past and they have paid. They'll pay this time or we'll go to arbitration. Cheaper to pay us. They caused the problem, not us. Shame a person has to go through all this to get proper medications. Talk with you later. T.
__________________
Pheesao

 
Old 03-26-2004, 08:32 PM   #11
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 342
WandaB HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Hi T, Glad to hear you got what you needed. I am surprised you got 12 vials at once. I feel sorry for the local pharmacy (just kidding) LOL!!! It's great that your husband is taking care of them & your local Kaiser!!! Stay well. Wanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheesao
Hi Wanda,
I went to South San Francisco today and came home with 100 needles and 12 vials of Solucortef. Seems they have no problem filling it in the big city, just out in the sticks where I live. My husband is at the local pharmacy right now, giving them his two cents worth about making us drive 104 miles each way to get a drug the doc prescribed. He is steaming. SSF Kaiser says they don't know why they wouldn't fill it out here. My husband plans on telling the local Kaiser that they had better be ready with the refills when we need them and that we are going to bill them for the gas and time wasted going to SSF. We've done that in the past and they have paid. They'll pay this time or we'll go to arbitration. Cheaper to pay us. They caused the problem, not us. Shame a person has to go through all this to get proper medications. Talk with you later. T.

 
Old 03-26-2004, 09:54 PM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stanislaus County, California
Posts: 14
pheesao HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

Hi Wanda. Thanks for the good thoughts. Kaiser's official position on Addison's people having Solucortef is that it is NOT a pharmacy benefit. The doctor is supposed to send a requisition form to the pharmacy, they deliver to the doc and the doc hands it to you... FREE of charge. We got a refund of the money paid for the cortef, but still had to pay for the needles. Big deal, 10 bucks for 100 of them. Our local pharmacy has assured us that there will be refills available when needed. The 12 vials is for a whole month. Got to let the ulcer heal. The refills are so that if the ulcer comes back, I can go straight to the shots and call the doc to get pics ordered. The doc wished me happy camping. Talk with you later. T.
__________________
Pheesao

 
Old 03-27-2004, 11:55 PM   #13
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 342
WandaB HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

This is great T. Sounds like you have them all straightened out! Hope your ulcer heals quickly & doesn't give you any more trouble. Keep us posted. Wanda Love this waving smiley!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheesao
Hi Wanda. Thanks for the good thoughts. Kaiser's official position on Addison's people having Solucortef is that it is NOT a pharmacy benefit. The doctor is supposed to send a requisition form to the pharmacy, they deliver to the doc and the doc hands it to you... FREE of charge. We got a refund of the money paid for the cortef, but still had to pay for the needles. Big deal, 10 bucks for 100 of them. Our local pharmacy has assured us that there will be refills available when needed. The 12 vials is for a whole month. Got to let the ulcer heal. The refills are so that if the ulcer comes back, I can go straight to the shots and call the doc to get pics ordered. The doc wished me happy camping. Talk with you later. T.

 
Old 05-09-2004, 01:40 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5
Zory HB User
Re: Anyone taking cortisone shots at home?

I know this is real late in coming (I just joined) but thought it may help someone else in your situation. You can have an oral liquid prescribed that is digested much quicker and if swallowed with a glass of cold water with quickly go to your intestines instead of staying in you stomach to irritate the lining.
Taking Solucortef injections every day is pretty dangerous although Ulcers aren't a good thing either. It is really hard to regulate it because it is meant for emergency use and the dose is pretty high. You will swell up like a balloon and then over time you can have other things go wrong like severe gum disease, Osteoporosis, POF (premature ovarian failure) if you are a woman etc. I know because I now have these things from a very slightly too high of a dose. I have had Addison's all my life and I am in my 30's. I currently take Prednisone and Florinef. Although today I feel pretty crappy I usually feel good other then I am tired a lot but that is most likely from the POF. You must have an emergency kit no matter what. I would buy one out of pocket if I couldn't get one. You must also always wear a medical bracelet or necklace. However I have been admitted twice where they haven't bothered to look at it so it makes me uneasy when I have to go in.

Zory

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate? gigi11 Gallbladder 29 10-30-2013 02:00 PM
Cortisone shots? Lorene78 Knee & Hip Problems 7 04-26-2010 11:40 AM
Anyone w/painful cortisone shots??? Ekris3 Foot & Ankle Problems 7 04-29-2006 01:17 PM
Fast heartbeat out of the blue anyone else? jennyVee Thyroid Disorders 16 01-07-2006 04:14 PM
Has anyone had experience with Cortisone injections? Bobwhite Arthritis 10 08-04-2005 03:21 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Dexamethasone
Estradiol
Florinef
  Hydrocortisone
Levoxyl
Potassium
Prednisone
Synthroid




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



luvthesun (7), pacerpilot (4), sid045 (3), lisB (2), ladybud (2), orion (2), WandaB (2), sandylake (2), chriswva (2), Zoe990 (2)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.com™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!